Props to Unger (1 Viewer)

LoE

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
I don't think we appreciate just how good this guy is. This game vs Tampa looked quite different from the last one.

Wholeheartedly agree! I've been a Lelito supporter and think he would be a capable RG but too many times he shows he doesn't have the mental part as he has blown assignments too often and is found whiffing on blocks or going the opposite way of the called play.

I believe the first game would have been different with Unger in there diagnosing the front line.

There is a reason Kelemente starts over Lelito at guard as well. Kelemente is average to below average, but nowhere near as bad as Lelito.

Unger's ability to shift and call the blocking schemes is head and shoulders above Lelito and really most Centers in the league. Unfortunately, the team isn't winning as much as it can so it will suffer in recognition.

Unger should have been in the Pro Bowl as well. I'd put him over Jordan and behind Drew for players that earned it.

Unger is a fine center and the Saints did right by locking him up. He is technically sound and has the mental acuity that man players simply lack. This league is about more than being able to maul people.

Finally, I think the O-line coach has done an amazing job with the injuries. The line is performing well. The coaches are playing to the strength of the players. Now if only the defensive side and STs could do equally well...

This is a very good team when they don't play flat. The potential is there. Unger is a great player

Without Unger:

25 of 41 passing 248 yards 5.9 yards per catch.
Three interceptions.
No touchdowns.
2.9 yards per rush.

With Unger:

23 of 34 passing 299 yards 8.2 yards per catch.
No interceptions.
Three touchdowns.
4.0 yards per rush.

We have a lot to be excited about for 2017. Let's hope we can finally "put it all together" next season.

Better offensive game plan in the second game against Tampa, with a bigger commitment to the run, but I agree that Unger made a big difference in the improved performance of the O line.

Other than Brees, Unger is the MVP of the offense...you think Seattle and RW are missing him a bit? Unger makes Seattle a SB contender, without him their ground game and RW are meh....in hindsight JG for Unger straight up is a win for us....

Wholeheartedly agree! I've been a Lelito supporter and think he would be a capable RG but too many times he shows he doesn't have the mental part as he has blown assignments too often and is found whiffing on blocks or going the opposite way of the called play.

I believe the first game would have been different with Unger in there diagnosing the front line.

There is a reason Kelemente starts over Lelito at guard as well. Kelemente is just as bad but nowhere near as bad as Lelito.

Unger's ability to shift and call the blocking schemes is head and shoulders above Lelito and really most Centers in the league. Unfortunately, the team isn't winning as much as it can so it will suffer in recognition.

Unger should have been in the Pro Bowl as well. I'd put him over Jordan and behind Drew for players that earned it.

Unger is a fine center and the Saints did right by locking him up. He is technically sound and has the mental acuity that man players simply lack. This league is about more than being able to maul people.

Finally, I think the O-line coach has done an amazing job with the injuries. The line is performing well. The coaches are playing to the strength of the players. Now if only the defensive side and STs could do equally well...

How can he be just as bad and yet no where near as bad at the same time? He's either just as bad or no where near as bad, can't be both.

Lol @ Senio comments.

Not only do they violate the law of common sense and the law of non-contradiction, but they also are just plain silly.

Senio has filled in at 4/5 of the Oline spots over the past 2 years, IIRC. In every one of those spots, he has played reasonably well. What more do you want? He is extremely valuable to this team and I am extremely happy he will be on the team next year.

Unger is a massive cog on this team. Tampa has a dominant 3tech and Carolina has very good DT's. You simply aren't going to win this division without a very good OC, and the Saints have one.

How can he be just as bad and yet no where near as bad at the same time? He's either just as bad or no where near as bad, can't be both.

Wow! Kelemente is so bad he violates the Law of Non-contradiction! That's pretty bad.

Lol @ Senio comments.

Not only do they violate the law of common sense and the law of non-contradiction, but they also are just plain silly.

Senio has filled in at 4/5 of the Oline spots over the past 2 years, IIRC. In every one of those spots, he has played reasonably well. What more do you want? He is extremely valuable to this team and I am extremely happy he will be on the team next year.

Unger is a massive cog on this team. Tampa has a dominant 3tech and Carolina has very good DT's. You simply aren't going to win this division without a very good OC, and the Saints have one.

Wow, I didn't realize i was in the presence of Shakespeare or Hemingway on the Saints board.

I'll do better job of multi-tasking and clarify my comment.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom