Protesters to tear down Andrew Jackson Statue this weekend... (1 Viewer)

If you want to see what crazy looks like, check out what's being said by people in opposition to the "take em down" protestors. Really sick and disgusting stuff, including plenty of death threats. David Duke came out to Jackson square to condemn the protestors and he might be one of the more mild of the bunch. Just in case you're interested in some perspective.

i am FB friends with one the organizers and he posted some of what was sent to/about him
WOW:no:
i usually kind of side-eye death threats - but seeing them directed at someone you know - even if you're certain they're mostly bs is just eye-opening

As long as they're in the history books and people actually read them, hopefully we don't forget it. Statues I think should be reserved for people who led us in the right direction as a country. JMHO.

If you listen to some of these people, it is beyond apparent they are hardly, if ever, aware of history.

Who decides who 'led us in the right direction'? That's incredibly subjective.

My mom is full blooded Indian from Brokenbow, Oklahoma and my dad was a Cajun. You don't see me throwing on an Indian head dress and living in a tee-pee. I don't throw all that crap in people's faces. What's funny is people see me as a just a white guy that tans easy. Sick of the tribes stopping natural gas pipeline companies, sick of BLM BS....leave the statues up. Every single one, everywhere. It's part of history. Do these people work that protest all the time ? Go get a ******** job, please !

When I sober up I will come back to this....

side-eye-chloe-meme-generator-um-ok-89584d.jpg

i am FB friends with one the organizers and he posted some of what was sent to/about him
WOW:no:
i usually kind of side-eye death threats - but seeing them directed at someone you know - even if you're certain they're mostly bs is just eye-opening
You should see the graphic unrealistic horror movie rape threats sent to women in technology who run afoul of misogynists on social media. Combine those with doxing out addresses and places you visit discovered from hacking accounts like facebook to learn what gyms or restaurants they go to and it's beyond frightening. They may be unrealistic in the abstract, but combined with a call for anyone in the area to help the cause out, and this kind of detail and it's beyond disturbing.

you're giving me the thrombosis - that's not what i said and i REALLY hope you know that's not what i said

It's pretty close because the one guarantee is throughout history social norms will change. And you seem to be of the mindset that regardless of what was acceptable in the time period of the monument or person being memorialized, that if someone is offended by it in the present day, then a discussion should be had on removing it.

What I really don't understand is how you can just ignore the context as to how and why the Indian Removal Act was passed under Jackson, or how he wasn't even President when the main events of the Trail of Tears occurred. Was it right, with 180 years of hindsight, no but context is key. Why do you give Washington and Jefferson a pass but hold Jackson accountable as a "genocidal despot" (not your quote but seriously :rofl: at it)?

And since this issue has generated so much emotion and debate, why is the decision coming down to a handful of council members? The only thing they should have been voting on is whether or not to include it in the next election ballot.

I understand why they did it, after all if you want an outcome and know you have the votes to achieve that outcome then why risk involving the residents. Their tactics are just as despicable as those threatening the removal construction companies and the protesters wanting to tear them down.

And since this issue has generated so much emotion and debate, why is the decision coming down to a handful of council members? The only thing they should have been voting on is whether or not to include it in the next election ballot.

I understand why they did it, after all if you want an outcome and know you have the votes to achieve that outcome then why risk involving the residents. Their tactics are just as despicable as those threatening the removal construction companies and the protesters wanting to tear them down.
The processed worked how it is supposed to work. There was no popular vote taken before they put the monuments up in the first place because that is a power that is supposed to belong to city council. People vote for their city council representative and hold their representative accountable to represent their interests.

Plebescites or vote on a single discrete issue are so anti-American it isn't even funny. Our founding fathers would rather hear that we went back to kings than that we put a single issue up for vote by the uninformed masses. It's the entire reason we have layers of representation and no national votes to go to war or to lynch members of minorities. People get absolutely stupid when they have 6 months of rhetoric to twist their opinion. Look at Brexit.

They feared the blind majority as much as anyone has ever feared AIDS or a nuclear winter.

Participation Statues for Civil War losers can come down

Nearly two years after Mayor Mitch Landrieu announced plans to remove controversial Confederate-era monuments in New Orleans, a March 6 ruling from a federal appeals court gave the city a green light to begin removing the statues..

In 2015, the New Orleans City Council voted to take down monuments to P.G.T. Beauregard, Jefferson Davis, Robert E. Lee and the Battle of Liberty Place, but removal efforts stalled after a lawsuit from the Monumental Task Committee challenged the vote. Today's ruling from the U.S. Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals affirmed a lower court's ruling against the suit.

“This win today will allow us to begin to turn a page on our divisive past and chart the course for a more inclusive future," Landrieu said in a statement. "Moving the location of these monuments — from prominent public places in our city where they are revered to a place where they can be remembered — changes only their geography, not our history. Symbols matter and should reflect who we are as a people. These monuments do not now, nor have they ever reflected the history, the strength, the richness, the diversity or the soul of New Orleans."

Just as long as Andrew Jackson is safe.. and many other historical characters.. I really don't care. But I"m not a "southerner". I really never understood the Robert E Lee statue.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom