Protesters to tear down Andrew Jackson Statue this weekend... (1 Viewer)

I'm against removing any of these statues from New Orleans, they are part of the city's history.

You're opposed to putting them in a New Orleans museum? Or New Orleans just won't be the same if these things aren't displayed on public property?

This appears to be sarcasm, which indicates you don't know much about the kind of man Andrew Jackson was.

Apparently you don't know anything about Native Americans.

How Comanche Indians butchered babies and roasted enemies alive | Daily Mail Online

"All the men were killed, and any men who were captured alive were tortured; the captive women were gang raped. Babies were invariably killed.

One by one, the children and young women were pegged out naked beside the camp fire,’ according to a contemporary account. ‘They were skinned, sliced, and horribly mutilated, and finally burned alive.

John Parker was pinned to the ground, he was scalped and his genitals ripped off. Then he was killed. Granny Parker was stripped and fixed to the earth with a lance driven through her flesh. Several warriors raped her while she screamed.

The Comanche roasted captive American and Mexican soldiers to death over open fires. Others were castrated and scalped while alive. The most agonising Comanche tortures included burying captives up to the chin and cutting off their eyelids so their eyes were seared by the burning sun before they starved to death.

Contemporary accounts also describe them staking out male captives spread-eagled and naked over a red-ant bed. Sometimes this was done after excising the victim’s private parts, putting them in his mouth and then sewing his lips together.

One band sewed up captives in untanned leather and left them out in the sun. The green rawhide would slowly shrink and squeeze the prisoner to death.

T R Fehrenbach quotes a Spanish account that has Comanche torturing Tonkawa Indian captives by burning their hands and feet until the nerves in them were destroyed, then amputating these extremities and starting the fire treatment again on the fresh wounds. Scalped alive, the Tonkawas had their tongues torn out to stop the screaming."

Tough reading, but I think a bit much for what's supposed to be a family friendly site. Just posting a link would be prudent IMO.

I'm ambivalent about the statue, but my main concern is would this have potential to turn into violence and destruction of other property?

Apparently you don't know anything about Native Americans.

Apparently I know more about Native Americans than you, enough to understand that the Comanche (most brutal of all Native American tribes) were not one of the tribes slaughtered by Andrew Jackson. These guys were though:

The Muscogee were the first Native Americans considered to be "civilized" under George Washington's civilization plan. In the 19th century, the Muscogee were known as one of the "Five Civilized Tribes", because they had integrated numerous cultural and technological practices of their more recent European American neighbors.

things are getting more harmonious already.

Don't mistake silence for harmony.

Here's the problem. People have said for a long time, Robert E. Lee doesn't represent our city and the statue of him was resurrected out of hate. We should remove the statue. Those complaints, which I know for a fact date back as far as the 90s, were not engaged. Attempts to peacefully remove the statues have been squashed. Atempts to bid out to remove the statue given rise to companies being threatened bodily and economic harm.

There's no harmony when one side has taken the no compromise approach.

Lee's statue should be taken down. Andrew Jackson's statue should not be. He is New Orleans history. He's on display for his contributions to our city, not his faults. That's not true for Lee.

So what happens when dialog is impossible? The low hanging fruit get attacked. The climate in New Orleans or the country is just not the same as it was in the 70s. Instead of acknowledging that and discussing it. it's gone ignored. People on one side of the aisle don't care how publicly depicted representatives of a bygone era effect those on the other side. The people on the other side, growing frustrated, don't care about the nuanced relevance of Jackson's statue as long as it can be used to prove a point to those on the other side of the aisle.

The no compromise approach of one side has become the all or none approach of the other side.

There was never harmony. There was first one side ignoring the other. There was quiet because one side didn't have a voice.

Replace it with a giant statue of Drew Brees.

Actually, the best idea is a statue of Rickey Jackson. It remains Jackson Square and everybody wins. Hell, he can even be on a horse.

Except I'm sure some women will object to that as Rickey has a past history of fathering children and not paying child support . . . but a bunch of chicks can't tear down any statues.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom