PS3 starts 2008 on a good note (1 Viewer)

irvine555

All-Pro
Reaction score
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Looks like the PS3 is gaining a little ground on Xbox and Nintendo. As you can see from the figures below PS3 out sold Xbox and came close to the Wii in Jan. 08. I know some people will say that this is partially due to Blu-ray winning but at least Sony is moving up.

LINK

Video game hardware overview:
1. Nintendo Wii — 274,000
2. PlayStation 3 — 269,000
3. PlayStation 2 — 264,000
4. Nintendo DS — 251,000
5. Xbox 360 — 230,000
6. PlayStation Portable — 230,000

Video game software overview top 10:
1. Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare (Xbox 360) — 330,900
2. Wii Play w/ Remote (Wii) — 298,100
3. Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock (Wii) — 239,600
4. Rock Band (Xbox 360) — 183,800
5. Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock (Xbox 360) — 182,700
6. Super Mario Galaxy (Wii) — 172,000
7. Burnout Paradise (Xbox 360) — 144,100
8. Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare (PlayStation 3) — 140,000
9. Mario Party DS (Nintendo DS) — 138,500
10. Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games (Nintendo DS) — 133,000

Hardware yes they are gaining, but alot more people already have thier 360's. As you can see by the game sales, not much new here to see IMO.

Not really any point to make with this next comment...

But who just went out and bought a PS2??? I am pretty sure they games are backwards compatable with PS3. When was the last time any of you have ever played a PS2?? I think its been about 3 or 4 years for me.

When was the last time any of you have ever played a PS2?? I think its been about 3 or 4 years for me.

i was playing my ps2 up until december :shrug:

IMO, backwards compatibility is essentially useless

i was playing my ps2 up until december :shrug:

yep i've played my ps2 until december 12th...

then i tried playing FFXII on my PS3 and realized I had to start over :(. Good thing I was only ten hours into it.

the only time I've played a PS2 game on my PS3 was back in October when I had the itch to play some Final Fantasy XII and Final Fantasy Tactics (I still say this is one of the best games ever made).

I still play my PS2 all the time. The best games on the current gen systems are still no match for the best games on the PS2.

I still play my PS2 all the time. The best games on the current gen systems are still no match for the best games on the PS2.

Mass Effect, Bioshock, Super Mario Galaxy, Resistance FOM, Warhawk, Gears of War, Halo 3 and Ratchet and Clank all disagree with you.

That's just simply an absurd statement. There may not be as many great games for the now current gen systems....but to say THE BEST games on current gen are no match is not correct.

Super Mario Galaxy I'll agree with. That game is awesome. The rest are really good games, but they are only great compared to the other offerings out so far. I can't judge Resistance, Warhawk, and Ratchet and Clank though since I haven't played them yet. The others were good games with overblown hype. The one area the next gen games truly excel in is graphics, but graphics aren't important to me. Give me Guilty Gear. Give me Morrowind. Give me Kingdom Hearts and God of War. I love my last gen games. :9:

Too shay to all the frequent PS2 users. The more I think about it I was at a buddys house month or so back we played Manhunt 2 and I guess that was ps2, I can see us who still have the system playing it sometimes. But would any of you go out an buy a new one tomorrow if it broke?? Or would you just thank it for the many games it provided at the time, and move on.

I still play Morrowind sometimes, and Kotor 1 and 2 when I start wonder if the force unleashed is ever gonna come out, heck I was even playing goldeneye and mario 64 for the nintendo 64 when I had to send in the my 360 for the RROD. I got no problems with last gen consoles games. I was basicly wondering how PS2 is selling 200k plus units still.

Mass Effect, Bioshock, Super Mario Galaxy, Resistance FOM, Warhawk, Gears of War, Halo 3 and Ratchet and Clank all disagree with you.

That's just simply an absurd statement. There may not be as many great games for the now current gen systems....but to say THE BEST games on current gen are no match is not correct.
God of War>All

Its selling all these units still, because parents only want spend so much on a video game system for their kids. If a child wants a new system, say the Wii, but the parents can't find it anywhere, they will just tell the kids I'll just buy you a PS2. It's cheap (what $125) and has tons of games out that are also cheap.

Maybe I'm completely off base here, because like yall said I just can't see someone going to Wal-mart tomorrow all excited about buying a PS2.

A buddy of mine bought his son a PS2 for Christmas. He didn't want to spend the money on a next gen console, and games are cheap. Of course, all the cool kids will make fun of him.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom