PSA: Some Kia and Hyundai models can be stolen with a USB cable (1 Viewer)

superchuck500

tiny changes
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
If your Kia or Hyundai has the option of using a physical key to start (rather than purely by push button), the car can be started by thieves.

Thieves across the United States are eyeing Hyundai and Kia models as easy targets thanks in part to viral social media posts. Essentially, if it's a modern car from one of those automakers that doesn't utilize push-button start, they can fire up the car and drive away in less than a minute. The only tool required is something that can be found in just about every vehicle: a USB charger.

Videos reveal exactly how they're going about it, and it involves peeling back the steering column cover and dismantling the key slot. A USB cable can then be used to turn the ignition tumbler, start the vehicle, and release the steering lock. In turn, this allows the Hyundai or Kia to be driven away and started again at any time using the same cable. The thieves specifically target Korean vehicles with a physical key slot as push-button start models can't be bypassed as easily.

Vehicles that utilize a physical key fall victim to this method because they reportedly aren't equipped with a factory-installed anti-theft device called an immobilizer. These immobilizers use a chip (called a transponder) to authenticate a key against a vehicle's ECU. This means that even if a thief has copied the physical cuts on a key, the vehicle can't be started unless the transponder has been paired with the vehicle. Because the susceptible Hyundai and Kia vehicles allegedly do not have an immobilizer, the thieves are able to simply force the ignition cylinder as if they were using a screwdriver to perform the same trick on a car from the 1980s.

Had a steering wheel club when I had a car in NY
I probably done should’ve had one already
(Used to have a detachable face cd player - probably don’t need that one again)

Uh...yeah, if you pay close attention to the stories coming out regarding stolen cars/break ins/etc...almost all involve a Hyundai/Kia as the target car or getaway car.

Dudes that got caught at the Saints game...got caught in a Kia Soul... the story 2 days ago on the news when someones car was recorded being stolen at night: stolen car Kia Forte...dropoff cars Hyundai sonata & Hyundai Santa fe. a Facebook story I saw yesterday on the Westbank - a stolen KIA Optima. If I'm NOPD I'm engaging in profiling and stopping damn near every pre 2018 Hyundai or Kia I see with a youngish looking driver or dark tinted windows.

Kias and Hyundais are the new 80s G Body GMs...stolen so damn much you might accidentally steal your own back

Last edited:
Stumbled across that last weekend after one of the posts by @Mr. Sparkle in the Just another day thread

Daughter has a 2018 Tuscon.

She now has a club.

Basically- once they rip the ignition housing out, there is a piece of metal that juts out...they jam the USB end onto that metal piece, and turn...voila .

Hyundai/Kia getting raked over coals for removing immobilizer ( apparently cost-cutting )

Stumbled across that last weekend after one of the posts by @Mr. Sparkle in the Just another day thread

Daughter has a 2018 Tuscon.

She now has a club.

Basically- once they rip the ignition housing out, there is a piece of metal that juts out...they jam the USB end onto that metal piece, and turn...voila .

Hyundai/Kia getting raked over coals for removing immobilizer ( apparently cost-cutting )
And they should get raked over for this. Completely avoidable

And my advice to anyone is pay attention to your surroundings and be aware of any suspicious looking Hyundais or KIAs:

(From 2021):
1674232868935.png

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom