Psychological effects of fortune for an NFL player (1 Viewer)

Valid point but I'm sure when you compare the salary of a starting NFL QB (who was drafted 1st overall) in the 1970s to early 80s to today dollars it must equate to an upper-middle class background. Last time I checked going to Newman was exactly cheap and they both had the generational knowledge of what life in the NFL was like.
Correct!

IMHO Archie Manning earned EVERY penny of his salary........he got beat up all the time & has had 9 surgeries. I am not a football expert, but the videos that I have seen of Archie’s playing days, makes me sick ?

Valid point but I'm sure when you compare the salary of a starting NFL QB (who was drafted 1st overall) in the 1970s to early 80s to today dollars it must equate to an upper-middle class background. Last time I checked going to Newman was exactly cheap and they both had the generational knowledge of what life in the NFL was like.
Newman is around 19 grand a year and the manning boys grew up in a nice house uptown. They were not middle class.

Archie certainly deserves his life after football, but the mannings grew up privileged, which certainly doesn’t hurt when you are tasked with managing $

Archie certainly deserves his life after football, but the mannings grew up privileged, which certainly doesn’t hurt when you are tasked with managing $
Ya, I didn't want to go there but anyone that knows New Orleans knows that that's the old money area around St. Charles.

Ya, I didn't want to go there but anyone that knows New Orleans knows that that's the old money area around St. Charles.
Not even sure what the thread is about anymore- but uptown is an interesting place - I live here (a block from Newman) in a dinky shotgun. But I can walk toward st Charles and watch the housing prices increase by maybe 100k every block
But with the exception of where Drew lives, there aren’t any enclaves really
And that’s even more true for the 70s/80s when they were growing up

But as much as anything it’s the access to the nfl process that’s most informative
Drew’s kids go to school with plenty of kids who are as rich if not more - but none of those other kids trade shoes with Cam or tackle AK or mess around in Uncle Coach’s office

Not even sure what the thread is about anymore- but uptown is an interesting place - I live here (a block from Newman) in a dinky shotgun. But I can walk toward st Charles and watch the housing prices increase by maybe 100k every block
But with the exception of where Drew lives, there aren’t any enclaves really
And that’s even more true for the 70s/80s when they were growing up

But as much as anything it’s the access to the nfl process that’s most informative
Drew’s kids go to school with plenty of kids who are as rich if not more - but none of those other kids trade shoes with Cam or tackle AK or mess around in Uncle Coach’s office
The thread is whatever you want it to be ;)

The thread is whatever you want it to be ;)
Not only did I not know what the thread was, I was 1/2 way through my own post and was like ‘wth am I even trying to say?’
But another part of my brain piped up wth, ‘well, you’ve written this much already, let’s just see it to the end’

*sigh*

GREAT topic.... You think about the vast majority of these guys come from impoverished back grounds.... Many have learned nothing of finance over their lives or in college. Now you put $5 million in their bank account and follow them around with cameras..... Dude if i had $10k in my bank account when I was 20 or 21 and you followed me around with a camera.........

Honestly every college athlete should at least minor in finance. So they can at least know what to do with their money.

Years ago I wrote a paper on the effects on MLB drafting high school players and the lack of african American college baseball players for my sports psychology class.

Regardless of race, a high school kid being drafted and given a 40K signing bonus might as well be 40 million to a 17-18 yr old kid.

I worked with a guy who had both football and baseball scholarships to FSU, but was drafted into the Dodgers organization and went single A. He got a 60k signing bonus, bought a Corvette and totalled it the first week. He spent two years in Single A making $210 a week, sharing a house and van with 7 teammates. Ended up quitting baseball and went to FSU. Said he thought he was rich with 60k.

Newman is around 19 grand a year and the manning boys grew up in a nice house uptown. They were not middle class.
Ooooooops! I am sure that you know more about New Orleans real estate & wealth levels than I do. However, in the funny videos that I saw, when the 3 Manning boys were very small, learning to play football, they were in a small back yard. The grass was green with brown patches in it, just like everyone one else’s yard.

Anyway, IMHO, Archie paid a tremendous price for whatever wealth he acquired. He has had 9 surgeries & had the daylights beaten out of him way too often.

One precedent to look for is does the player love football. Many players currently in the league doesnt love the game. It's just something they have always done and they can do to make good money. Peppers was a guy who didn't love football and had a long successful career. Nick Fairley was a guy who didn't like the grind. Worked himself to.some guaranteed money. Got a contract then quit football.

GREAT topic.... You think about the vast majority of these guys come from impoverished back grounds.... Many have learned nothing of finance over their lives or in college. Now you put $5 million in their bank account and follow them around with cameras..... Dude if i had $10k in my bank account when I was 20 or 21 and you followed me around with a camera.........
We talked about this in the EE thread, “Last Dance” about Michael Jordan.

Scotty Pippen was one of 12 kids and was raised dirt poor. His brother said, “we never realized we were poor!!!”

I am a sucker and have a soft heart for all of the athletes who lived in extreme poverty, work hard & then earn $$$ that they never dreamed possible.

That is one of the many great things about sports......the ability to help out impoverished athletes, who are willing to work.

Honestly every college athlete should at least minor in finance. So they can at least know what to do with their money.

Years ago I wrote a paper on the effects on MLB drafting high school players and the lack of african American college baseball players for my sports psychology class.

Regardless of race, a high school kid being drafted and given a 40K signing bonus might as well be 40 million to a 17-18 yr old kid.

I worked with a guy who had both football and baseball scholarships to FSU, but was drafted into the Dodgers organization and went single A. He got a 60k signing bonus, bought a Corvette and totalled it the first week. He spent two years in Single A making $210 a week, sharing a house and van with 7 teammates. Ended up quitting baseball and went to FSU. Said he thought he was rich with 60k.

One of my friends owns a towing company, and he tells a similar story. He said some of these athletes make so much money, that they will wreck a 100-200K car, the car will be towed & the athlete will not even care enough to pay to get it out of impound. Yikes 😳

The athletes that I don’t get, are the ones that spend thousands of dollars on ugly, gaudy chains/necklaces......UGH!!! They strut around with 50 lbs of metal hanging on their neck.🤢
Gross!!!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom