PTI - On Saints in London (2 Viewers)

If I were a season tix holder, I'd probably be pretty upset, but I think this does give the Saints much needed exposer to increase the fanbase. I realize that merchandising (from the internet) doesn't bring money into the city, but it surely could bring in more foreigners to NOLA.

The league is giving compensation to the team, but the city needs support also. Hopefully, this will pay off with toursim and LOCAL merchandising sales.

What bugs me is that the Chargers have a bye week following the London game, but no word that the Saints do...IMO, the teams that have to play overseas should be teams that BOTH have a bye the following week. Again, JMO.

Don't let it bug you -- yet :mwink:. The Giants and Dolphins had their byes the week following the London game last season; I imagine that will be standard procedure for the NFL schedulers for the international games.

Tony K's last word on it: "I'm not going." Thank you, Tony.

I'm not going either, and I'm not watching the NFL or supporting its sponsors on Oct. 26. This is a slap to New Orleans businesses, to the people of the city, and to those who buy tickets.

Dont give me this "we're getting priceless exposure" bull either. Its not a Super Bowl. There wont be a red carpet with Paris and Brittany and paparratzi and balloons. Its just a regular seaon game-- one of 7 games shown on your "CBS Sunday Lineup," and it wont pre-empt anything else. Most markets are still gonna see Patriots or Colts or Steelers... If we suck again next year, or its on NFL Network--- nobody will see it. In Europe, it'll be a footnote at the end of the sportscast, after the highlights of the days big SOCCER matches.

"Exposure?" We already know where New Orleans is. Reggie was last years biggest selling jersey--- NATIONWIDE. Oh, I know, you think Euro kids are gonna see the Saints logo in the endzone, and then rush out and buy the stuff. I think theyre gonna sit thru each 10 minute "replay challenge," and the endless tv timeouts, and fall asleep in their seat. Then they'll go back home to posters of Soccer stars playing a game they understand. Unless we set a record for field goals & the game ends 18-15, I dont think the NFL in its present state is that impressive to foreigners. It barely impresses me.

Its a useless trip for a one day deal that nobody in Europe really cares about. Meanwhile, New Orleans business loses a valuable home game event, the team loses a home field advantage, and season ticket buyers lose their most attractive game.

And those of you who said, (I'm saying this in my "special" voice) "well, we have a better road record anyway," do me a favor. Please squirt an entire tube of Icy Hot on a Twister mat and spread it around. Now sit on it and spin around a while, and then go jump in the pool.***

I really liked NFL Europe, and wish they wouldnt have bailed on it so soon. Give em their own teams, which work as a minor league for ours. It also gives us something to see in the offseason. Eventually, they WOULD become attached to it.

If you want to capture hearts and minds, lets play the game in Shreveport.

Thats my rant for today. You might not agree & thats OK. I still say we should have a boycott/party that day... here are some details: (3rd post) http://www.saintsreport.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59916&page=11

***this is a joke/ it is only a joke/ I hope you get a laugh, whether you agree or not

Like the Jags did?

I would say we have a chance, but we do have our hands full with those kinds of teams, and will continue to do so until we improve on defense and get more pysical on the offensive line.

The Jags have not been quite as dominating on defense lately as they traditionally have been, although they are still solid. We were able to give Brees time in the pocket. That was the key.

The key to that game was that Garrard sat out. I think we would have had much more trouble with Garrard in the game. It was still close until Quinn Gray thre that pick six...

I would say we have a chance, but we do have our hands full with those kinds of teams, and will continue to do so until we improve on defense and get more pysical on the offensive line.

The Jags have not been quite as dominating on defense lately as they traditionally have been, although they are still solid. We were able to give Brees time in the pocket. That was the key.

The key to that game was that Garrard sat out. I think we would have had much more trouble with Garrard in the game. It was still close until Quinn Gray thre that pick six...
people seem to be forgetting the Brees revenge factor -- I am sure that this will be an extremely important game for brees and he will want to play lights out football

The Chargers will be super jetlagged, and Breesus will want to kick his old team's butt.

Not really, On PTI, they said the Chargers would probably play on the East Coast the week before the London game, then go straight to London afterwards. Homesick, maybe, but jetlagged, not anymore than we will be.

Saying this game will make foreigners travel to New Orleans is like saying Americans would flock to London to catch some soccer because they sent two teams over here to play one regular season match.

New Orleans is probably one of the most famous cities in America, if not the world. Most people in Europe dont care about American football, but they already know about New Orleans as a place to see if they visit America. I doubt there are very many over there that will see this game and say "Hey, I never knew about this New Orleans city. Maybe I'll go there one day to catch some more of this American Football."

Its not that I mind the team playing in London though. I just wish it wasnt a home game.

Some miscellaneous info on non-US NFL games:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/10/24/AR2006102401261.html

NEW ORLEANS, Oct. 24 -- The NFL's team owners, meeting here Tuesday, approved a resolution that would allow the league to play up to two regular season games outside the United States annually....

But under the resolution the owners approved Tuesday, each club could designate one home game that could not be held in a foreign country; games between divisional opponents could not be played outside the country unless both teams consented; clubs playing an international game would have home games the week before and byes the week after; and home teams would be guaranteed fees equal to their average revenue in their other home games....

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -

http://money.cnn.com/2007/07/13/commentary/sportsbiz/index.htm

...Even the league admits it badly trails the other sports in finding talent from outside the United States. Almost all the players in NFL Europa were Americans. By comparison, all the other major U.S. sports have a significant percentage of foreign born stars here in their home leagues. The handful of foreign-born NFL players are primarily anonymous role players.

Sports marketing consultant Marc Ganis said that the NFL is smart enough to realize the problems it faced and honest enough to recognize that a European-based minor league with a selection of preseason games being played in foreign countries was not the way to make the progress needed.

"If the league wants to grow internationally, regular season games where [the] best are playing the best is the key
," he said. "The NFL is the quintessential broadcast league. [Commissioner Roger] Goodell realizes that should be the focus. Having an minor league in Europe is almost a distraction."...

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/peter_king/10/21/mmqb/index.html

...The NFL won't do some of the things it's done with prior International Bowl preseason games, like taking players out to local clinics and photo ops. The league wants both teams to have fairly normal routines in the two days before the game.

There's a method to the NFL's madness: If the Giants and Dolphins come home and say, "That wasn't so bad,'' the league will have an easier sales job when it goes to the owners after the season to get four teams to play across the pond in 2008. And make no mistake, that's the aim of the NFL. Starting next year, commissioner Roger Goodell wants two international games a season, both possibly in Europe, to become a part of the permanent NFL landscape.

"We want the teams to go home satisfied,'' NFL senior VP of sales, marketing and international development Mark Waller said Sunday. "The biggest hurdle we have is to be sure the players and coaches feel the whole thing was well done. They're giving up a regular-season game [in America], and we don't want to let them down.'' ...

Peter King also doesn't like it:

I HATE GIVING AWAY THIS GAME. From Ashley Morris of New Orleans. "Is it not evil of the NFL to put New Orleans in the London game against the Chargers? Making them travel is one thing -- I can deal with that; but making the fans lose a home game at the Superdome? First of all, the Saints had to play nine road games in 2005, including that monstrosity in the Meadowlands. Second, the Chargers can't even sell out a playoff game, and the Saints have 30k people on the season ticket waiting list. Is this in any way fair to the New Orleans fans and season ticket holders (like you)?"
You're right. I don't like the Saints, in such a delicate time, exporting one of their most attractive home games in 2008 to England. Tampa Bay was a better candidate, especially with the Glazer family in the soccer business in England. Tom Benson needs to make some gesture to the fans of New Orleans -- through a charity to help the devastated neighborhoods, for example -- to make the loss of a valuable home game palatable to the people who will miss it.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/peter_king/01/29/superbowlweek/1.html

And make no mistake, that's the aim of the NFL. Starting next year, commissioner Roger Goodell wants two international games a season, both possibly in Europe, to become a part of the permanent NFL landscape.

:smilielol: :smilielol: at the people think this is just a one time deal. Who's to say they'll stop at 4. I certainly wouldn't believe them.

We want the teams to go home satisfied,'' NFL senior VP of sales, marketing and international development Mark Waller said Sunday. "The biggest hurdle we have is to be sure the players and coaches feel the whole thing was well done. They're giving up a regular-season game [in America], and we don't want to let them down.'' ...

Doesn't surprise me one bit, fans don't mean nothing anymore and there's isn't much we can do but just bend over and take you know what.

... fans don't mean nothing anymore and there's isn't much we can do but just bend over and take you know what.
I'm telling you, we may be able to do something this time. Fans in other cities still sympathize with us, even Chicago's. I think we could do a little networking and organize the NFL's first FAN STRIKE--- a one day deal aimed at the league & its sponsors--- and have a big party in New Orleans to support the local businesses who normally benefit from home games.

I can do w/ out football for a day. Tell the NFL "no" for once.

Its the Big Black(out) & Gold Ball-less Party in the French Quarter (or all around New Orleans)! You could have one in every town.

Last edited:
I'm telling you, we may be able to do something this time. Fans in other cities still sympathize with us, even Chicago's. I think we could do a little networking and organize the NFL's first FAN STRIKE--- a one day deal aimed at the league & its sponsors--- and have a big party in New Orleans to support the local businesses who normally benefit from home games.

I can do w/ out football for a day. Tell the NFL "no" for once.

Its the Big Black(out) & Gold Ball-less Party in the French Quarter (or all around New Orleans)! You could have one in every town.

Count me in, any excuse to party in NO, I'm with it...:9:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom