PTI - On Saints in London (1 Viewer)

Tony K's last word on it: "I'm not going." Thank you, Tony.

I'm not going either, and I'm not watching the NFL or supporting its sponsors on Oct. 26. This is a slap to New Orleans businesses, to the people of the city, and to those who buy tickets.

Dont give me this "we're getting priceless exposure" bull either. Its not a Super Bowl. There wont be a red carpet with Paris and Brittany and paparratzi and balloons. Its just a regular seaon game-- one of 7 games shown on your "CBS Sunday Lineup," and it wont pre-empt anything else. Most markets are still gonna see Patriots or Colts or Steelers... If we suck again next year, or its on NFL Network--- nobody will see it. In Europe, it'll be a footnote at the end of the sportscast, after the highlights of the days big SOCCER matches.

"Exposure?" We already know where New Orleans is. Reggie was last years biggest selling jersey--- NATIONWIDE. Oh, I know, you think Euro kids are gonna see the Saints logo in the endzone, and then rush out and buy the stuff. I think theyre gonna sit thru each 10 minute "replay challenge," and the endless tv timeouts, and fall asleep in their seat. Then they'll go back home to posters of Soccer stars playing a game they understand. Unless we set a record for field goals & the game ends 18-15, I dont think the NFL in its present state is that impressive to foreigners. It barely impresses me.

Its a useless trip for a one day deal that nobody in Europe really cares about. Meanwhile, New Orleans business loses a valuable home game event, the team loses a home field advantage, and season ticket buyers lose their most attractive game.

And those of you who said, (I'm saying this in my "special" voice) "well, we have a better road record anyway," do me a favor. Please squirt an entire tube of Icy Hot on a Twister mat and spread it around. Now sit on it and spin around a while, and then go jump in the pool.***

I really liked NFL Europe, and wish they wouldnt have bailed on it so soon. Give em their own teams, which work as a minor league for ours. It also gives us something to see in the offseason. Eventually, they WOULD become attached to it.

If you want to capture hearts and minds, lets play the game in Shreveport.

Thats my rant for today. You might not agree & thats OK. I still say we should have a boycott/party that day... here are some details: (3rd post) http://www.saintsreport.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59916&page=11

***this is a joke/ it is only a joke/ I hope you get a laugh, whether you agree or not

Rant of the Week. Excellent work.

SkyMike - You can count me in as well.

The other issue here is that this game would surely be a prime time game if not a Monday Night Football game. The game will be loaded with offense and you have Drew Brees facing his former team for the first time. So we lose that.

I also do not buy the exposure crap. You may sell a little more merchandise but it surely will not help sell tickets. Remember, we have played in London before when the NFL played these as preseason games. I don't recall any significant impact on the Saints fan base or merchandise sales then.

I understand that the franchise will not lose anything. I have no argument as far as losing a competitive advantage. My argument is strictly based on the impact to the city and the fan base. The NFL does not care but we should. I wrote a letter to the NFL to voice my concerns. More than likely it will fall on deaf ears but if enough of us get involved, they will hear the message.

One problem with this game is that it happens to fall on my friends birthday, and we go to the games together, so he's getting robbed of seeing the Saints at the dome on his birthday. Totally sucks.

Tell your friend that I really feel bad for him and wish him well.

The saints will not lose money on this one, they will be reimbursed by the NFL as it was a sold-out game and even maybe more. The saints are an attractive team, and because of the size of the stadium and cost of tickets, the saints may be one of the cheapest teams to reimburse based on the revenues of a sold-out Superdome.

The Saints might not lose money but all the other businesses that normally benefit from a home game will. Like others have said, this will be good for the team long term, increase fan base, saints merchandise sales, etc. But the city takes a hit at a time when it really needs all the help it can get. I find it hard to believe the league couldn't find a way to make the London game an away game for the Saints.

To those of you who know me here you all know im not complaining about where the games on. I make no apology for that but I do understand & appreciate you New Orleans locals concerns. However while New Orleans played pre season games abroad before, a regular one is different. It may not make everyone want to rush to New Orleans but there is a big market that week in England for merchandise sales, a big market & it will be tapped into. What matters most on the day is that the Saints win, a very tough notion considering who we are playing.Once the dust settles on this it wont be seen as the worst thing that happened to us.
Oh & I will for one be hopping over to NOLA for a game like I did last season so thats one person who can be knocked off the "If we build it they will come list" pertaining to the interest that the organisation will attempt gather with the UK game.

I hate the fact that we are losing a home game. Benson on the other hand loves it and probably volunteered for the Saints to go and here are some reasons:

1) He will be reimbursed as if it was a home sellout plus some

2) It gives him a chance to raise season ticket prices 1\10th of the price it was last year without anyone really noticing sense the price will be exactly the same but we will only get 9 home games (7 reg season and 2 preseason) instead of 10.

3) Benson gets the majority of his profits through merchandise. We don't by a ton of it at home games because we already have a collection of it at home or on us at the time (the market is a little saturated with Saints gear), whereas in London he will be able to sell to an entirely fresh and open market. I can see people buying pennants, jerseys, hats, t-shirts, and autographed memorabilia in this one week that they are there instead of the usual customer here buying one of those things at the game.

What I would love to see is the NFL "repaying" the city for the lost revenue by moving the Draft for '09 to New Orleans. Hell, how great would New Orleans be at hosting the draft every year?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom