Puppy Advice (1 Viewer)

bigdaddysaints

BigDaddy Has Arrived
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
We got a puppy on May 1st, he's a Catahoula Leopard that was 5 weeks old, beautiful puppy. we named him Cash.
Since we brought him home, he started scarfing his food as fast as be could. Its like he isn't even chewing it. same with treats, most of the time, he just swallows them whole. He will eat non stop and anything he can get his paws on. I bought a puzzle bowl to hopefully slow it down. It works some. but it doesn't help his constant scarfing everything else.
I have another dog who is 5 years old but has always been a grazer. I just keep her bowl full because she only eats when she's hungry.
I've owned dogs my whole life and this is the first one I've had that eats like this. I have to separate my other dog to feed her, but its rough because she's a grazer and doesn't like to eat her food all at once.
Is this something that most dogs outgrow? I hope so.
The two dogs get along great, unless the .puppy goes for the others food, then she has to put him in his place. Screenshot_20200802-131921.png

We got a puppy on May 1st, he's a Catahoula Leopard that was 5 weeks old, beautiful puppy. we named him Cash.
Since we brought him home, he started scarfing his food as fast as be could. Its like he isn't even chewing it. same with treats, most of the time, he just swallows them whole. He will eat non stop and anything he can get his paws on. I bought a puzzle bowl to hopefully slow it down. It works some. but it doesn't help his constant scarfing everything else.
I have another dog who is 5 years old but has always been a grazer. I just keep her bowl full because she only eats when she's hungry.
I've owned dogs my whole life and this is the first one I've had that eats like this. I have to separate my other dog to feed her, but its rough because she's a grazer and doesn't like to eat her food all at once.
Is this something that most dogs outgrow? I hope so.
The two dogs get along great, unless the .puppy goes for the others food, then she has to put him in his place. Screenshot_20200802-131921.png
try putting a ramekin, upside down, in the food bowl. forces the puppy to work around it when eating.

food training a puppy is tough.

This is the bowl we use to feed him. Screenshot_20200802-133219.png

got same bowl for exact same reason! So far so good. My 3 yr old golden would just take her time and the goldendoodle (7 MO old) would just mosey on over and start eating her food and nudge her out lol.

I tend to also think part of that is asserting alpha tendencies.

But it's been just over 3 weeks w that bowl and now the golden finishes before puppy. But she also slowing her eating down as well.

So as he gets older it should slow.

Also try filling it half serving and just as he is finishing add rest of serving.

We have a Catahoula Leopard (and what seems like a Whippet mix), post Katrina our local humane society ran a rescue van down by you all and brought her and her litter mates back--as they were scheduled to be euthanized. Our girl, Breesy, is awesome but the most alpha chick ever...just dominates every dog she comes in contact with...and absolutely scarfs her food down with every bowl she gets, never could figure out a way to reign her in.

This is the bowl we use to feed him. Screenshot_20200802-133219.png
oh wow. he still chugs it down?

the 5yo girl, is she a good size/ tall? if so i'd get the highest bowl platform she can eat out of with being a deep dish.

my catahoula/heeler mix is a grazer. the other two eat as fast as possible. all 3 are strays. this has forced him to guard his food all day.

We have a Catahoula Leopard (and what seems like a Whippet mix), post Katrina our local humane society ran a rescue van down by you all and brought her and her litter mates back--as they were scheduled to be euthanized. Our girl, Breesy, is awesome but the most alpha chick ever...just dominates every dog she comes in contact with...and absolutely scarfs her food down with every bowl she gets, never could figure out a way to reign her in.
My Shepard/Fox Terrier mix 5 year old we have, she doesn't let him play alpha yet. The Catahoula has learned not to mess with the other dogs food. otherwise he'll get put in his place quick, even though the puppy is already 3/4 her size. you would think he's drying but I don't think she even actually puts her mouth on him. but they roll around like it's a real dog fight.. but 5 minutes later they are back to playing with each other.. but I can't bring rawhides in the house unless I want a continuous fight.. no matter how many rawhides there are..

oh wow. he still chugs it down?

the 5yo girl, is she a good size/ tall? if so i'd get the highest bowl platform she can eat out of with being a deep dish.

my catahoula/heeler mix is a grazer. the other two eat as fast as possible. all 3 are strays. this has forced him to guard his food all day.
oh, it takes him way longer to eat, but he still eats it like it's the first meal he ever had and the last one he'll ever eat.. lol

My Shepard/Fox Terrier mix 5 year old we have, she doesn't let him play alpha yet. The Catahoula has learned not to mess with the other dogs food. otherwise he'll get put in his place quick, even though the puppy is already 3/4 her size. you would think he's drying but I don't think she even actually puts her mouth on him. but they roll around like it's a real dog fight.. but 5 minutes later they are back to playing with each other.. but I can't bring rawhides in the house unless I want a continuous fight.. no matter how many rawhides there are..
Nice! Yeah my other dog (an English Creme Retriever) immediately let the other dog have her way...just a really submissive breed. They did play fight some and she would put Breesy down and let her know once and a great while what she could do if she wanted, lol. They are mostly inseparable. They eat side by side at same time and sleep/nap together every day/night. My older girl is heading towards 13 and having health issues, not sure what my crazy Catahoula will do without her.

My dachshund is 12 and still chomps down some stuff without chewing, but also can free feed without me worrying about him overeating. Never figured out exactly what the difference is - maybe it’s because his food is always there so he’s ok leaving it, but treats and human food are fleeting.

I got two lab brothers from the same litter. They are 4 now, but when I got them the scarfed down their food.

I got the bowls like you did and they worked...for about a day, until they quickly learned to flip the dang thing and make a grand mess!! LoL.

They have never fought over food and they both finish the same time the switch to see if the other brother left something in their bowl.

They did both eventually slow down don't exhale their food. Amazingly enough they both slowed to the exact same pace.

With yours it will happen and your older dog sounds like they are already letting your puppy know their food is off limits.

What did was stand there while mine ate and told them to slow down, but being a puppy you have to remember they are high energy and that smell of food is overwhelming to them.

When my boys first smelled McDonald's French fries I thought I got two squirrels rather than labs!!

I’ve got a lab that inhales food; I just put 1 or 2 large rocks in his bowl to slow him down. Big enough that he can’t get his mouth fully in the bowl, he uses his front teeth and tongue to get the food out.

We have several large dogs. Feeding them in bowls all at the same time can be problematic so sometimes we spoon feed them with a large spoon or we take the mardi gras approach where we throw a cup here or there on the concrete patio. It's gone in seconds and no fights.

We have several large dogs. Feeding them in bowls all at the same time can be problematic so sometimes we spoon feed them with a large spoon or we take the mardi gras approach where we throw a cup here or there on the concrete patio. It's gone in seconds and no fights.
You sure you have dogs and not chickens or geese?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom