Pushing the envelope (1 Viewer)

Kyle brister

VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I've never done this before, or at least done it without at least thinking i knew what i was talking about ahead of time. But here goes. I posted a thread a little while back after reviewing the Saints schedule & complaining about it. For which cause I was soundly admonished by some of our fanfare for excuse making & sniveling about unfairness. i took my reproof with good spirit until I discovered what i think is a huge discrepancy in their scheduling. And having found it, I would guess if the odds makers knew this little sort of accounting trick, it could be quite valuable in their setting odds for teams win/lose record the next season. Now, to be fair, as of writing time I haven't researched this topic thoroughly by checking the home opponents record Vs away opponents record for a reason yet. But I will tell everyone who bothers to read this thread that IF I am wrong, I would be willing to wear a Matt Ryan Jersey signed by Nick Saban even though I would have to go commit suicide soon after. But My question is why is this year's home schedule loaded with softies other than division rivals & the road schedule loaded with heavy weights plus division rivals.

The schedule is pretty much decided years in advance so whatever you think they did on purpose is false. Get ready to get that jersey and commit suicide. May I recommend filling your pockets with candy and jumping off a 20 story building that way there's candy around your corpse?

So you seem to have read enough of the responses to your previous post to understand them as sound admonishment, but not enough to understand the English language meaning behind them.

THE SCHEDULE IS PRESET FOR EVERY TEAM BASED ON THEIR PREVIOUS YEAR'S FINISH AND THE DIVISION THEY ARE IN.

What don't you understand about that??

But My question is why is this year's home schedule loaded with softies other than division rivals & the road schedule loaded with heavy weights plus division rivals.

Because the last time we played the AFC South in 2015 we had to go to Indianapolis and to Houston while the Titans and Jaguars came to New Orleans. This time it’s opposite, the Colts and Texans come to New Orleans whole the Saints have to go to Tennessee and to Jacksonville.

The same with the NFC West in 2016, the Seahawks and Rams had to come to New Orleans and we had to go to San Francisco and to Arizona. This time we have to go to Seattle and Los Angeles and the 49ers and Cardinals have to come to New Orleans.

As for the games against the Bears and Cowboys, read my reply to this next poster below as to why we have to go to Chicago.

Also, like Wiggoes said, get ready to wear that jersey, bud.

Unfortunately home and away games are decided by where teams finish last season in their division.

No, they aren’t. You have 2 “same-place finisher” games based on the previous seasons results, but no matter what one of those is home and one of those is away. And like the rest of the games, it’s based on a rotation.

For the NFC South teams, that rotation is: NFC North, NFC North, NFC East, NFC West, NFC East, NFC West.

That is both the rotation for both the home and away game.

For example, our road schedule of those “same-place finisher” games is currently on the second NFC North team (we’re playing the Bears this year after playing the Vikings last year). Meanwhile our home schedule is currently on that second NFC East team (we play the Cowboys in New Orleans this year after playing the Rams in New Orleans last year, the Redskins in New Orleans in 2017, and Lions in New Orleans in 2015 and 2016).

Where you finished the previous season has nothing to do with the home or away designation of any of the 16 games.

Every year we think we know who will be soft and who will be hard and every year we are wrong on both sides. Each team in the NFL is fully capable of beating the Saints or losing to the Saints on any given day. We just have to go out there and play the game.

The opponents/locations are obviously pre-set but not the schedule.

The league obviously wants us to lose to the Rams early in the season. The best way to do that is giving us a short week before we travel there. It could have been the first week, or after a bye, but that would be too fair.

Combine that with Week One against Houston (high risk/reward team good on turf) and Week Three at Seatle (12th man and all that) means they really want us to start the season poorly, to kill the should-have-been-in-Super-Bowl spirit.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom