Put Yourself On The Committee For 2018 (1 Viewer)

How does the city sell the NFL on another superbowl?

Easy.

"Y'all had fun, right?"

Was it more fun than in Indy? Dallas?

Easier to get around than Indy, Dallas, Miami, NYC/NJ?

Didn't every single member of the media have a blast and not complain about traffic?

Boom.

It appears that repair work needs to be investigated (and determined why it was not done earlier and on a normal, rather than emergency basis). Also, maybe now someone will actually question Entergy to see if their services played any part in this.

Blackadder, is your causation opinion based largely on logic or do you have any hard information that the reason was the energy demands of Beyonce's production?
I have a close friend I've known for 30 years with contacts with the Saints. He texted me 5 minutes after the power went out and said his sources say that the the stage and equipment for the halftime show had caused overload malfunctions twice during rehearsals and that the league was aware of the potential problem.

He's credible to me. I don't see any kind of conspiracy here but the fact that they called this vaguely an "abnormality" rather than give specifics is interesting. I think the Superdome and New Orleans are in position of having to help the League and it's halftime show save face by not pointing fingers, and at the same time the league is smart enough not to try to explicitly throw the Dome under the bus on this either.

I haven't wacthed any news today but it will be interesting to see if the blackout delay is downplayed or harped on.

The Dome hosts 8 NFL games a year plus bowl games and other events and I don't ever recall a power system outage. Scoreboard and clock malfucntions, yes. But minutes after that huge power draw you blow a circuit breaker...

http://espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/201...bowl-power-outage-stops-game-super-bowl-xlvii

The NFL issued a brief statement during the game, saying the cause of the outage was being investigated. As postgame interviews of coaches and players were being held, NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said the league would not be making further comment.

I mean, those guys LOVE to comment when they have you over a barrel. Never at a loss of words before, lol.

I have a close friend I've known for 30 years with contacts with the Saints. He texted me 5 minutes after the power went out and said his sources say that the the stage and equipment for the halftime show had caused overload malfunctions twice during rehearsals and that the league was aware of the potential problem.

He's credible to me. I don't see any kind of conspiracy here but the fact that they called this vaguely an "abnormality" rather than give specifics is interesting. I think the Superdome and New Orleans are in position of having to help the League and it's halftime show save face by not pointing fingers, and at the same time the league is smart enough not to try to explicitly throw the Dome under the bus on this either.

I haven't wacthed any news today but it will be interesting to see if the blackout delay is downplayed or harped on.

The Dome hosts 8 NFL games a year plus bowl games and other events and I don't ever recall a power system outage. Scoreboard and clock malfucntions, yes. But minutes after that huge power draw you blow a circuit breaker...

Thanks for the inside info. The only two things that would make sense to cause such a fluctuation in power to cause an emergency shut off is a huge demand in the dome (half time) or some huge event going on outside. So, unless there was a massive concert that just plugged in outside the dome or in the quarter, it's hard to think of anything other than the Halftime show.

That's reassuring. The city should not be held acountable for this mess, when they surpassed everything on their end.

Blackadder, thanks for the information. As a matter of logic, it makes sense that the outage was related to the half-time show. And it seems that Goodell, were he smart, would frankly acknowledge what happened after the investigative efforts have been completed in an attempt to play nice with the city. But I doubt that he will.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Roger Goodell on the power outage: "There's no indication at all that the halftime show had anything to do with this."</p>&mdash; Albert Breer (@AlbertBreer) <a href="https://twitter.com/AlbertBreer/status/298451787894116354">February 4, 2013</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Goodell reiterated that the blackout will not affect the NFL's view of New Orleans. Says he doesn't think it will have any impact.</p>&mdash; WWL-TV Sports (@wwltvsports) <a href="https://twitter.com/wwltvsports/status/298451154285764609">February 4, 2013</a></blockquote>
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>NFL official again saying there's no question that the week went well. Says blackout will loom small in deciding future Super Bowls.</p>&mdash; WWL-TV Sports (@wwltvsports) <a href="https://twitter.com/wwltvsports/status/298453645844955137">February 4, 2013</a></blockquote>

Someone mentioned that the 30 minute power outage may have saved CBS from some horrible second half ratings.

While some may debate that the break actually helped refocus the 49ers, there can be no debate that it kept some viewers from abandoning a very lopsided game at the moment the lights went out. True no one really wanted this event to mar the Superbowl (and that could have happened if San Francisco had completed the turn around and won the game), but it really added to the drama of what otherwise could have become a very boring game.

While some will be critical of the situation, this was truly a non issue except for anyone having an 11pm flight out of MSY. A Superbowl needs drama to be something special after weeks of hype!
And last night Superbowl XLVII became just that!

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Roger Goodell on the power outage: "There's no indication at all that the halftime show had anything to do with this."</p>&mdash; Albert Breer (@AlbertBreer) <a href="https://twitter.com/AlbertBreer/status/298451787894116354">February 4, 2013</a></blockquote>

Sounds like a guy trying to defend his financial investment.

It was bad, and embarrassing, and will surely come up in our next bid.

However, when they hosted the SB at Jerry World - the fanciest, most state of the art sports stadium on the planet - people were almost killed by falling ice and then an entire section of valid ticketholders were bumped from the game. So, nobody's perfect.

I think we'll host again, soon.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Breaking: @<a href="https://twitter.com/cbs">cbs</a> says last night's game was the highest rated Super Bowl in history--an average overnight household rating/share of 48.1/71...</p>&mdash; CBS Newspath (@cbsnewspath) <a href="https://twitter.com/cbsnewspath/status/298449015954092032">February 4, 2013</a></blockquote>

This doesn't happen without the outage, IMO. The rout was pretty much on when the lights went out...

Sounds like a guy trying to defend his financial investment.
That's perfectly in charachter for the league.

Deny any connection to the halftime show's power demands and at the same time say the outage in no way impacts the League's view of the success of this Super Bowl or New Orleans' consideration in the future.

How does the city sell the NFL on another superbowl?

Easy.

"Y'all had fun, right?"

Was it more fun than in Indy? Dallas?

Easier to get around than Indy, Dallas, Miami, NYC/NJ?

Didn't every single member of the media have a blast and not complain about traffic?

Has the power issue been addressed? yes

Boom.

Added one line for ya :)

I don't think a lot of people realize how easily this issue can be addressed.. you can easily fix this with a bit of overkill. They just didn't have a whole lot of options when the halftime setup revealed that it needed much more power less than 5 days before the game. 5 years is a long time to get the power delivery system beefed up.

That's perfectly in charachter for the league.

Deny any connection to the halftime show's power demands and at the same time say the outage in no way impacts the League's view of the success of this Super Bowl or New Orleans' consideration in the future.

One day Rodger Goodell will have to stand responsible for his bad decisions. I can't wait for that day.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom