Putting aside the missed call for a second, Payton butchered the clock (1 Viewer)

I know what payton was trying to catch them off guard, and Drew missed the throw (Thomas was open). That being said we should have ran the ball to only leave them with a minute instead of almost two minutes. Everyone says that was a mistake and I understand that, but Rams also made 2-4 mistakes on that one play and weren’t penalized for it.

That was a run pass option, Drew chose to throw that because it was wide open. Like many of his throws the last few weeks he tried to guide it instead of let it loose. It was a horrible throw.

They were trying to go for the jugular and end it. It didn't work. Should have managed it differently or thrown a better pass for sure. That pass was in the grass.

In most cases I would agree with you but they did a good job of shutting MT down the whole game. I guess the question is which is better a positive gain, or running the clock?

Both, if that pass is completed, we get a 2nd and 2-3 yards with a running clock which allows us to open the playbook up for the last couple of plays to try and score a td or run the clock out and kick the winning FG. Doesn't have to be either/or. Brees made a bad pass. Even running it, stuff happens. A fumble could have happened.

I thought Payton and Brees were trying to win the game and not give the Rams a chance to have the ball last. Regardless, the missed PI being called correctly would have made this entire discussion moot.

I agree and disagree. The play that they ran worked. If the defender doesn't blow it up with interference there's a good chance it's a TD if not just a first down. Either way, the play should have sealed the game. The refs blew it.

There were TWO dropped touchdowns inthe game by Saints receivers. That had something to do with the Saints being in a position to get robbed too. You can't "if" and "woulda" on Sean Payton or Brees here. His calls WOULD have resulted in either a touchdown or first down with 1:53 remaining inside the ten if not for the refs. The game before that point was in the past at that point and his calls WOULD have worked if the game was called properly by the refs!!!!!!!!

Kris

I agree and disagree. The play that they ran worked. If the defender doesn't blow it up with interference there's a good chance it's a TD if not just a first down. Either way, the play should have sealed the game. The refs blew it.

Yep, I thought it was a great call. TLL was gonna walk into the endzone if the defender doesn't dive into him.

Shame on Drew. He should know better. It's basic situational football.
Well, Drew's pass was more egregious than the audible. Thomas was open and it was a pretty safe play. He just threw the ball in the turf.

We can go back and pick apart the shoulda wouldas until next season. Bottom line, both teams played hard, calls went both ways - usual game stuff. A good game was tainted by "bang bang" (per McCoy) hit on TLL. And not a dang thing we can do about it.

Yep, I thought it was a great call. TLL was gonna walk into the endzone if the defender doesn't dive into him.

Actually he would probably have been smashed out of bounds inside the ten and no call for defenseless receiver or may have been hit so hard instantly that he dropped the ball with no call for defenseless receiver.

Well, Drew's pass was more egregious than the audible. Thomas was open and it was a pretty safe play. He just threw the ball in the turf.

We can go back and pick apart the shoulda wouldas until next season. Bottom line, both teams played hard, calls went both ways - usual game stuff. A good game was tainted by "bang bang" (per McCoy) hit on TLL. And not a dang thing we can do about it.

Nope you are nuts with "calls went both ways".

Maybe. But how many times do Brees and Thomas miss on that throw and catch? We look at the play called as being bad, when they would have been fine except the execution just simply failed. Which is the better call there; a run for maybe a half yard or a five to eight yard high percentage play between players you have the utmost confidence in?

Running the ball is the much better play. Stripping timeouts and time off the clock from the Rams was much more important than risking an incompletion for a few yards.

Worst case scenario running is Ingram loses a yard or two and the Rams burn a timeout (with a .3% chance of a turnover fumble). Worst case scenario throwing the ball is the pass is off or dropped, giving the Rams a free timeout, with a 2.5% chance of an interception.

Running the ball, 99.7 percent of the time the Rams burn a timeout after the Saints gain a middling amount of yards, assuming Ingram had zero chance of breaking through the line.

Throwing the ball, 35% of the time the Rams get a free timeout, and the rest of the series is put under pressure as now the Rams have all the resources they need so you might as well press for the first down/touchdown.

It should have been a run, you make them burn all of their timeouts. I didn't like the play even when I thought we were going to win it all. It's just too stupid to risk. Make them burn all of their timeouts and kick the FG.

That being said, the non PI call was the most egregious I think I've ever seen in a moment that big. That call gets made and we are more than likely in the SB. The clock issue was moot really becauseI'm willing to bet almost anything that had the teams been reversed we would have been called for PI 1,000,000 out of 1,000,000 times.

It sucks.

Last edited:
Yep, I was yelling to run the ball too, and I didn't think it made any sense to pass on 1st down. But we've won plenty of games before when Payton didn't have the best clock management. We've lost some too. It just feels like it's beside the point right now, and the hose job is front & center. All we needed was officiating that was partially ethical, and we easily win despite everything else.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom