"Putting defensive pieces in place"- Mike D's column (1 Viewer)

It's a good read, and very truthful, just closes with a little Dirty Bird butt-smooching :freak7:

Realistically, the Falcons have improved their team on paper. You have to face facts.

Now, if Asomugha is signed, that could mean that the Saints have the antidote for the tall receivers in the division. Unfortunately, there are very important holes to fill on offense now with the departure of Bushrod and Daniel, and the window is getting smaller as Brees gets older.

We're getting closer to the time when a successor to Brees needs to be on the roster. Next year might be that time because of the lack of quality QBs in the draft this year. I have no idea what QBs will be in next year's draft class because I don't really follow the college game to any extent, and even next year might be premature. But the Saints need to get a decent backup somehow for the coming year.

He forgot to mention TE, and I also think Tampa will be pretty good if Freeman doesn't mess it up.

Waaaaay too much love for Bushrod.

I agree, Bushrod is overestimated... but I think that Brown is not the answer at LT. He is so injury prone. The last lineman that was this injury prone in NOLA was Jammal Brown. He was traded to Washington and was never able to stay on the field there either.

Losing offensive tackle Jermon Bushrod in free agency hurts, and there is no debate on this issue.

Oh, um, ok...

Bushrod was good at protecting Drew Brees' blind side, and he also was a major factor in the running game.

If there's no debate on that issue, why feel the need to defend the sentence? Just move on.

Waaaaay too much love for Bushrod.

I think some of us (on SR) undervalued Bushrod . While he is not a true pro bowler, he was a quality LT.

I think what the article covers well is the fact that we do not have a sure replacement which is risky business. Both Payton and Loomis are on record saying that loosing Bushrod would create a big hole/need for us.

I think some of us (on SR) undervalued Bushrod . While he is not a true pro bowler, he was a quality LT.

I think what the article covers well is the fact that we do not have a sure replacement which is risky business. Both Payton and Loomis are on record saying that loosing Bushrod would create a big hole/need for us.

While I agree with you about Bushrod, when he got the job we were in the same position.

While I agree with you about Bushrod, when he got the job we were in the same position.

Not exactly, Bushrod was groomed behind J. Brown for 2 years; learning, developing, and waiting on his opportunity. When he was ready, we TRADED Brown because we knew what we had behind him.

Charles Brown was drafted to do the same thing but he couldn't unseat Strief. Charles can't stay healthy long enough to know what we have in him but we (SR) feel confident that he is ready to protect our $100M investment.

Not exactly, Bushrod was groomed behind J. Brown for 2 years; learning, developing, and waiting on his opportunity. When he was ready, we TRADED Brown because we knew what we had behind him.

Charles Brown was drafted to do the same thing but he couldn't unseat Strief. Charles can't stay healthy enough to know what we have in him but we (SR) feel confident that he is ready to protect our $100M investment.

As I recall, there were questions here regarding Bushrod's readiness and ability. In fact, people have steadily complained about Bushrod since he got the job.

Now, maybe the coaches have CB in mind, maybe they don't, we have no idea.

As I recall, there were questions here regarding Bushrod's readiness and ability. In fact, people have steadily complained about Bushrod since he got the job.

Now, maybe the coaches have CB in mind, maybe they don't, we have no idea.

I agree, maybe I'm wrong about CB. I'm not close enough to the team to truly know.

The one thing that I feel confident in is that the OL situation is questionable at best. We do not have a player on the roster that has played LT in a regular season NFL game. We really don't have any tackles with LT experience.

Zack is Zack

CB we have discussed

Marcel Jones has never played LT (played RT only in college), he is also often injured.

Bryce Harris played 39 games at RT after being converted from a DL player.

I think one thing that a lot of people have overlooked during the last year is that the Saints went through their entire season without Sean Payton manning the wheel so to speak!!

He's the one who will ultimately get the pieces in place that he feels will be needed and coach them up to what he wants. Between Payton and Mickey Loomis they have pretty much always been able to plug in a fire hydrant and make it play football pretty much to what is expected of them!!

The biggest acquisition of the off season has been getting our coach back. How many would be abandoning ship if Payton HAD taken the gig in Dallas?

Trust in Payton and Loomis guys :worthy:.....................lots and lots of time till September..............let's not push any panic buttons yet ok!!

Bryce Harris played 39 games at RT after being converted from a DL player.

Incorrect. Bryce Harris started 39 games at Left Tackle for Fresno State. He played RT for a half because of injury against Oakland and San Fran before being injured himself. His best attribute is his athletic ability making him more suited for LT than RT. With who is on the roster today, I would bet he beats out Brown for the starting LT spot.

"The Saints are high on the athletic ability of the 6-foot-6, 300-pound Harris, a former California prep basketball standout who passed on several Division I basketball scholarship offers to play football.

I thought he did great, especially for a guy who hasn't been here that long, just since the beginning of the season," Brees said. "He's been up, but he's just been running the scout team and really hasn't gotten any reps with the first team, and all of a sudden he's thrown in the mix. I felt like he did a very good job."
New Orleans Saints rookie tackle Bryce Harris is preparing for the 49ers | NOLA.com

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom