Putting My Dog to Sleep (1 Viewer)

ROBOT DEATH SQUAD

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
I've decided I'm gonna have to put my dog to sleep. He nearly blind, diabetic, can barley walk and he has a cut that has gotten infected and it's only a matter of time before it spreads. Is there anything I should bring with me to the vet

Vibe Merchant

Calm Like A Bomb
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm about to go through the same thing with my Shadeaux. I watch Marley and Me for the first time and bawled my eyes out thinking that I am going to have to do this soon.
Are you going to be in the room with your dog when it happens? After seeing that movie I made my mind up that I want my dog to be calm and not worried in his final moments. I want him to know I was there for him just like he was always there for me. Dang, I'm getting teary eyed again.

melman

Fleur-de-lis underwear
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Helotes, TX via Lafayette, NOLA, Australia, Japan,
My condolences on your best pal...I had already planned to hold my buddy's head while he was injected, but passed away behind my chair in his sleep. We did the two week mourning period, then could not stand it any longer and went out and adopted TWO gorgeous pups (sisters) from the pound.

It was tough to load up the carcass wrapped in a blanket and take it to the vet for cremation. We did not want the ashes so it was $60 for that. Good luck and you'll always remember the good times with Rover.....

UpHere

Thrill...ish
Reaction score
so sorry to hear about it - just try to bring a couple of his favorite toys - give him a big SR hug, hey?

BHM

Can't please 'em all
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I went through that a few years ago. No way could I have stayed while the injection was given. I gave her a big hug and kiss and ran out crying like a baby.

It will be tough but you will get through it.

kansast

The LateNight Bar
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Sorry to hear that.. recently lost my 10 year old malamutt to complications from diabetes I do believe.. Died in my sons arms while I was rushing home from work.. it was a sad sad day, and we all still walk around here, thinking we see her, or just otherwise missing the other family member. Desperately looking for a new Malamutt

Again, sorry for you and your poor puppy dog.

wnelson

Who Dat Nation
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
i was 12 when we had to put my cocker spaniel to sleep. i cried for an entire weekend. she was my best friend and was 6 years older than me. i was at school when my mom took her, but, she held her paw until she stopped breathing.

damn my eyes are growing damp just thinking about this :(

Big_L

Team Big Pimpin'
Reaction score
My Rottie is 12 and I think she's starting to go deaf. She has arthritis and I feel it in my heart that it won't be long. Several women, including the ex wife, said that I treated Penny better than I treated them. I would simply state that for 12 years she was one of the few constants in my life and she never let me down, ever.

AppleSaint

Saints 1 - Falcons 0
Reaction score
Never is easy

We had to put down our lab a few years back due to having brain issues....one night he just started bleeding from his nose and mouth.....

I wasn't home for it but others were.....I almost am glad I didnt see it.

Doctors put him down that night.

They said there was a chance we could bring him to Baton Rouge for a operation and we absolutely agreed to it but our boy couldn't make it that long.

Never thought we would go to that extreme for a non-human BEFORE we got the lab but they really are family

krushing

SR is my life!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
My wife and I dreaded it until we witnessed how easy and painless it was. Our vet supplied a box to burry our dog in. He took care of everything. The vet gave us a choice of bringing the dog home abd burrying it, or they could have done it. Three days later we were very glad our pet was no longer suffering. Its not easy, but the vets really have this down to a science and it is very peaceful. Hang in there!!!

krushing

SR is my life!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
A friend of ours recenntly had to put her dog to sleep. The dog was verry scared of the vet's office so the vet actually came out to the house. Ive seen a couple vets in the phone book that advertised that service. She wanted to make sure the dog went in peace.

SuePrudhomme

All-Pro
Reaction score
I'm so sorry for you; making that decision is one of the toughest things we have to do for our pets. We recently had to put our diabetic cat to sleep after many years of being able to manage the disease with insulin injections.

Bring his favorite blanket or pillow or toy with you when you go to the vet. It helps them be calmer, and you want one of his last memories on this side of the "rainbow bridge" to be of something familiar and good.

If you can, try to stay with him. It's difficult for you, but easier for him. And it's more peaceful than you might expect; their eyes don't close, so it's a gradual (but quick) slipping away, not anything scary for you or for your beloved pet.

Think of the happy life you shared with him, not of losing him. Especially when you've had an animal who's been sick for a while, it helps to think of all the years he had that he wouldn't have without your care. You are doing this last thing to care for him and make the pain go away; it hurts like hell, but it's a very generous and loving thing you're doing.

They know that, too. They really do. As my husband drove, I sat with my cat on my lap and she purred throughout the trip. She'd never done that before going to the vet...I really do believe she knew she was going to where she wouldn't feel weak or sick any more.

I still cry my eyes out thinking about it (which I'm doing right now), but she went so peacefully and fearlessly that as hard as it was for us to do, I know it was right.

Again, my condolences.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

New Orleans Saints Twitter Feed

Headlines

Top Bottom