Putting some numbers on these injuries (1 Viewer)

But it does. When you invest in injury prone players abd have a mediocre training staff you will perpetually have injury issues. So you can’t really use that as an excuse.
We will agree to disagree.

Thanks everyone for appreciating the numbers.

To some extent, I understand the theory that we're investing in some injury prone players.... But that is not what's causing these kinds of numbers. On offense, the only 2 guys that have that tag are Peat and Armstead, and only Peat's contract is really criticized. Just as many of those guys are on the defensive side of the ball, particularly Davenport and Payton Turner maybe?

This year guys like Ramczyk, McCoy, Kamara, Lutz, and Winston have missed a ton of games and these are guys who never miss games. Even Taysom Hill, despite his college history, has rarely missed games with the saints before this year. And at the time we paid Michael Thomas he never missed games either. So I just don't think that argument is a fair assessment of what's happened this year, specifically on the offensive side.

Nicely done. It's alot to overcome and honestly I've seen some excellent coaching and play calling in an attempt to overcome it.

Honestly the injuries to impact players the past few seasons have been insane.

Honestly the injuries to impact players the past few seasons have been insane.
That's the problem. While this season is over the top with injuries, it's not a complete outlier b/c the team has been trending up in injuries the past few years, which is why I think the FO needs to start making availability a criterion for drafting and investing in players.

That's the problem. While this season is over the top with injuries, it's not a complete outlier b/c the team has been trending up in injuries the past few years, which is why I think the FO needs to start making availability a criterion for drafting and investing in players.
There is something to it. But, this year with the knee injuries that doesn’t really go though. Lutz, Thomas were bad surgical outcomes. That happens, unfortunately just one of those things. Winston’s torn knee, a bad tackle. He’s never had a history of injuries, and nothing any training would do.

Turner is too early to throw him in the constantly injured category.
Davenport, I wonder if he is like Armstead. Always felt Armstead get injured so often because he never takes and stops on plays when they are over, or knows how to protect himself and just goes all out all the time. Davenport the same way. Good lord the guy is amazing when he’s out there, but if he kinda learned to step back on some plays, save the intensity and beating on his body. He plays like every play is the last series of a tied SuperBowl.

Do you have any facts behind your claim that injuries have been trending up for the last few years?

Do you have any facts behind your claim that injuries have been trending up for the last few years?
Look for yourself. Go back to 2015, and focus on starters, not bit players or players stashed on IR so they wouldn’t have to be cut and lost to another team like Gilliken last year.

We all know that the injuries have been numerous this year. But I got to wondering how bad.... as in when you look at our salary cap, what percentage of that has been off the field with injuries this year.... I feel like that's a good measure, because a guy's cap number to some degree represents a weighting that reflects the player's level of importance to the team's success.

So I took the Top 30 players against our salary cap (everyone making more than $850K) minus the few guys that are only special teamers, and added in a few more lower number guys that were expected to be key contributors on offense or defense at the beginning of the season (I didn't include any acquisitions during the season like Roby or Ingram)... Then I divided them into 2 groups: 19 Offense (included Lutz) and 18 Defense... the numbers are pretty alarming.

First of all, of the 19 offensive players on that list, only 4 have played every game, and 2 of them are backup linemen.... they are Marquez Callaway, Cesar Ruiz, James Hurst, and Calvin Throckmorton. That in itself is devastating.

I took everyone's cap number, divided it by 17 to create a per game cap number for everyone on the list. Then figured out the total cost of the guys we were missing every week (including Onyamata's suspension)..... If you compute that over the 12 games we've played to date, we've been missing 47% of our total offensive cap spending due to injuries on the offensive side.

And while we've had some pretty tough injuries on the defensive side, especially on the D Line, just for comparison, we've had just under 15% of our defensive cap spending on the bench.

When you look at the Dallas game, the number climbs to over 71% on the offensive side....

How many teams in the NFL could compete with 30% of their total cap on 1 side of the ball??

I thought it was interesting enough to spend an hour figuring it out, and I so I decided to share...

Hoping that with the long rest, and hopefully a get well game against the Jets next, we get some guys back, and can finish strong... WhoDat

Thanks everyone for appreciating the numbers.

To some extent, I understand the theory that we're investing in some injury prone players.... But that is not what's causing these kinds of numbers. On offense, the only 2 guys that have that tag are Peat and Armstead, and only Peat's contract is really criticized. Just as many of those guys are on the defensive side of the ball, particularly Davenport and Payton Turner maybe?

This year guys like Ramczyk, McCoy, Kamara, Lutz, and Winston have missed a ton of games and these are guys who never miss games. Even Taysom Hill, despite his college history, has rarely missed games with the saints before this year. And at the time we paid Michael Thomas he never missed games either. So I just don't think that argument is a fair assessment of what's happened this year, specifically on the offensive side.
THANK YOU! I have been looking for some such breakdown of the effect of the injuries. This is a great slice of the data. It is very indicative. This puts some detail to what I've been saying for over a month now. We just have too many injuries and too many to key people on the team. There's no way we can win with all of them. We need to get people healthy before we can start winning again.

We all know that the injuries have been numerous this year. But I got to wondering how bad.... as in when you look at our salary cap, what percentage of that has been off the field with injuries this year.... I feel like that's a good measure, because a guy's cap number to some degree represents a weighting that reflects the player's level of importance to the team's success.

So I took the Top 30 players against our salary cap (everyone making more than $850K) minus the few guys that are only special teamers, and added in a few more lower number guys that were expected to be key contributors on offense or defense at the beginning of the season (I didn't include any acquisitions during the season like Roby or Ingram)... Then I divided them into 2 groups: 19 Offense (included Lutz) and 18 Defense... the numbers are pretty alarming.

First of all, of the 19 offensive players on that list, only 4 have played every game, and 2 of them are backup linemen.... they are Marquez Callaway, Cesar Ruiz, James Hurst, and Calvin Throckmorton. That in itself is devastating.

I took everyone's cap number, divided it by 17 to create a per game cap number for everyone on the list. Then figured out the total cost of the guys we were missing every week (including Onyamata's suspension)..... If you compute that over the 12 games we've played to date, we've been missing 47% of our total offensive cap spending due to injuries on the offensive side.

And while we've had some pretty tough injuries on the defensive side, especially on the D Line, just for comparison, we've had just under 15% of our defensive cap spending on the bench.

When you look at the Dallas game, the number climbs to over 71% on the offensive side....

How many teams in the NFL could compete with 30% of their total cap on 1 side of the ball??

I thought it was interesting enough to spend an hour figuring it out, and I so I decided to share...

Hoping that with the long rest, and hopefully a get well game against the Jets next, we get some guys back, and can finish strong... WhoDat
BRAVO! Impressive.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom