Puzzling shooting of PBS news staff driver by off-duty police officer (works in another county) (1 Viewer)

superchuck500

tiny changes
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
This case hasn't gotten much coverage nationally, but it is a curious case. An Alexandria, VA 22-year old from a well-known family who works as a staff driver for the PBS Newshour broadcast was shot after midnight last Wednesday in Alexandria in the street several houses away from his aunt's house where he attended a party for his cousin to celebrate her signing of her rookie contract to play in the WNBA. He reportedly left the party at 9pm.

The shooter, Craig Patterson, age 44, is a 17-year vet of the Sheriff's Office for Arlington County (neighboring county, both just across the Potomac River from downtown Washington DC) who was off-duty at the time - he is believed to live in Alexandria but the reports don't indicate exactly where. As of yet, there are no firm details as to why Patterson was at the location or why he and Dawkins got into an argument.

A neighbor, however, claims that she heard an argument in the street - and several minutes later heard the gunshot. Here's her version of events:

A neighbor who declined to give her name because she feared for her safety said she heard Dawkins talking casually with someone outside her home about 12:30 a.m. She said that the conversation soon grew louder and that someone told Dawkins, “I been around here longer than you have.” Dawkins, she said, responded, “Get off this street.”

The neighbor, 36, said she looked outside to see Dawkins — whom she knew because he had lived next to her — chasing a man down the street. After Dawkins stopped, the man yelled, “I’ll be back. You best believe I’ll be back,” the neighbor recalled.

Some time later, the neighbor said she heard a single gunshot and looked outside to see the man standing in a neighbor’s yard. Dawkins, she said, was face down, with his cellphone on the lawn nearby.

‘PBS NewsHour’ driver fatally shot by off-duty Arlington sheriff’s deputy - The Washington Post

According to someone with knowledge of Patterson's story, he alleges that Dawkins threatened him with a knife. Police have confirmed that a knife was indeed recovered from Dawkins at the scene.

According to a person familiar with the investigation, Mr. Patterson said he acted in self-defense, shooting Mr. Dawkins once in the chest, after Mr. Dawkins threatened him with a knife. Police did recover a knife on the scene from Mr. Dawkins, this person said. Mr. Patterson called police after the shooting and remained on the scene to be questioned once officers arrived.

Alexandria residents, Julian Dawkins

Many in the Alexandria community, including the Mayor, have called on authorities to press charges against Patterson and apparently the investigation has ruled the death a homicide. Charges, however, have not yet been brought against Patterson - I suppose they're trying to determine whether there's enough evidence to accept his claim of self defense.

The neighbor's story, however, seems to cast doubt on the self-defense claim . . . if it is indeed accurate. It's hard to claim self-defense against a knife threat when you disengage from the confrontation and then return with a gun.

But who knows where this will end up.

It's like the old trick from Fletch. First, I shoot you. Then I stick myself in the arm with this knife. Then I stick the knife in your dead hand. Self defense.

What'll it be, Fletch?

idiot police always going for the kill shot. Shoot them in the leg lets hear both sides because everyone knows after the age of 17 that there is two sides to every single story. That video of the police in London shooting the terrorist in the leg just answered a question that I always wanted to know about the police in America... the answer is the cops don't want two sides of the story to come out. I say execute him, you don't kill someone whos probably drunk maybe being stupid with a knife when a shot in the leg is more than enough to get control of the situation. annoyed.

I say execute him, you don't kill someone whos probably drunk maybe being stupid with a knife when a shot in the leg is more than enough to get control of the situation. annoyed.

It's interesting that one of the articles points out that a 17-year police vet is trained in how to defuse confrontations.

He's pretty much going to have to go down for full premeditated murder. He left the scene and returned solely with the intent of committing murder.

He's pretty much going to have to go down for full premeditated murder. He left the scene and returned solely with the intent of committing murder.

It would seem that way (not sure of what VA's parameters are for first and second degree) - unless he disputes the neighbor and his story is that he never left - he had his weapon on him and Dawkins attacked him.

Hard to understand why there's no arrest yet.

idiot police always going for the kill shot. Shoot them in the leg lets hear both sides because everyone knows after the age of 17 that there is two sides to every single story. That video of the police in London shooting the terrorist in the leg just answered a question that I always wanted to know about the police in America... the answer is the cops don't want two sides of the story to come out. I say execute him, you don't kill someone whos probably drunk maybe being stupid with a knife when a shot in the leg is more than enough to get control of the situation. annoyed.
Lemme guess. You believe those shows where the cop shoots the gun out of the perp's hand, right? Real life is nothing like what Hollywood would have you believe.

Anyone who's been trained to use a handgun knows that you aim for the largest mass of the body. The torso.

It would seem that way (not sure of what VA's parameters are for first and second degree) - unless he disputes the neighbor and his story is that he never left - he had his weapon on him and Dawkins attacked him.

Hard to understand why there's no arrest yet.

It is indeed.

I'm sure sooner or later, though, the media will be guilty of race baiting for covering anything about it; at least two or three on this board will make the claim before all is said and done.

It is indeed.

I'm sure sooner or later, though, the media will be guilty of race baiting for covering anything about it; at least two or three on this board will make the claim before all is said and done.

There isn't mention of the race of either men in the articles and there hasn't been in any post yet. It would be nice to keep it that way.

I agree, but you and I both know that's not how a vocal minority of the forum here works. It'll be a persecution of white shooter thread before all is said and done.

I'd love to be wrong, but I don't think I am; hopefully, for that sake the officer is black too, then it'll just be about the issue at hand.

Edit: and a photo in the story below shows the officer is also black.

Apparently, they're saying that by Monday they'll say whether or not they intend to press charges: Julian Dawkins shooting: CME rules it a homicide; charges pending on Craig Patterson | WJLA.com

The Commonwealth’s Attorney says a decision on whether Patterson is charged or not will be made within 24 to 48 hours.
Alexandria Mayor William D. Euille issued the following statement Thursday evening:
The death of Julian Dawkins, who was shot and killed on May 21, has raised concerns throughout our community. I am confident that appropriate justice will prevail once all facts are known. Our Police Department is investigating this case and they are working with the Office of the Commonwealth’s Attorney using the standard procedure used for such cases in Alexandria. In the meantime, I urge the community to be patient, and allow the justice system to do its work.

Read more: http://www.wjla.com/articles/2013/0...-decision-on-charges-89203.html#ixzz2ULobkh33
Follow us: @ABC7News on Twitter | WJLATV on Facebook

Life isn't a movie. If you're using a gun, you're using it to kill and you aim for center mass. The chances of you accurately hitting someone's leg or arm in a confrontation are low to begin with, and contrary to what Hollywood would have you believe, your extremities have major arteries in them and a bullet wound in the middle of the arm or leg has a very good chance of causing substantial blood loss (and death) if not treated immediately.

The shooter (Patterson) has been charged with first-degree murder. So apparently the investigation has supported what Galbreath was saying - that the shooter left the scene of the confrontation and returned with his gun to shoot the victim (Dawkins), which means two things: (1) that the confrontation was over so it wasn't a heat of passion or self-defense thing, and (2) that there was premeditation.

The off-duty Arlington County sheriff’s deputy who fatally shot a 22-year-old in Alexandria last week initially told 911 operators the young man had pulled a knife on him. But the only knife police found was folded and clipped in the young man’s pocket, meaning there was no feasible way he could have been wielding it when he was shot, prosecutors said in court Friday.

The revelation was one of many to come out at the arraignment of 44-year-old Craig Patterson, who was arrested late Thursday night and charged with first-degree murder and using a handgun while committing a felony in the May 22 slaying of Julian Dawkins, a shuttle driver for “PBS NewsHour.”

Arguing that Patterson should remain held without bond, Commonwealth’s Attorney S. Randolph Sengel told an Alexandria General District Court judge that witnesses spotted Patterson and Dawkins arguing in the 100 block of Lynhaven Drive, then heard Patterson yell he would “be back” as he headed toward his home nearby. Sengel said the witnesses told investigators they then saw Patterson head back to Lynhaven Drive, now carrying his gun, badge and handcuffs.

Sengel said Patterson shot Dawkins once in the chest and called 911 to say Dawkins had “pulled a knife” on him. That account, though, could not have been true, Sengel said. He said investigators found a folding knife closed up and clipped in Dawkins’s pants pocket, and it was impossible he would have been able put the knife there after he had been shot.

‘PBS NewsHour’ driver could not have pulled knife, prosecutors say - The Washington Post

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom