Q&A with Jets' DC, Mike Pettine, on playing Saints (1 Viewer)

kfran

TwoDat! Let's Do It Again
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Q&A with Jets' DC, Mike Pettine, on playing Saints

On trying to stop an offense that has many weapons as New Orleans does…

It’s a challenge. As we’ve said all along, these are the kind of days that, if you consider yourself a good defense, you live for. You want to be challenged like this. That’s the unique nature of the NFL. You’ll go from one week facing a two-back run-oriented type of offense, more like a Tennessee, and then you go right to the next week where it’s spread the field. New Orleans will also jump in two backs as well. That’s one of the things that makes them so dangerous. They’re very flexible. They can jump in and out of different packages and they’ll all of a sudden find one. It’s almost like they’re probing early in the game to find out what haven’t you prepared for and do they have an advantage and then they stick with it. It’s a huge challenge and its one I think we relish the opportunity and we’re looking forward to it...

...On how concerned he is that Lito Sheppard and Donald Strickland may not play on Sunday…

It’s the same response as last week. We have a lot of confidence in Dwight Lowery, Drew Coleman and Marquice Cole if he needs to step up. They’ve got the reps. Like Rex (Ryan) has said, no one is feeling sorry for us, especially New Orleans. The game’s at 4:00 and we’ll be out there ready to go. We’re not ones to feel sorry for ourselves about it. We take that whole next man up mentality and we’re going down there with a plan with the guys that we have and we’re looking to get after it...
There's also a Q&A with Jets' OC, Brian Schottenheimer.

More with Pettine & Schottenheimer...
http://www.thejetsblog.com/2009/10/02/transcripts-bart-scott-mike-pettine-brian-schottenheimer-101/

On how many times he mentions Drew Brees in the Jets meeting rooms…
They probably get tired of it. I mention it quite a bit. It’s just because of the way I feel about the guy. When we were there, it wasn’t all rosy. We drafted Philip (Rivers) for a reason. I remember talking to Drew the day before we drafted Philip. He said, “Hey look, what are we thinking in the draft?” I think Robert Gallery was coming out that year. He said, “Are we going to get that tackle?” I said, ‘Drew, I’m going to be honest with you here. We are probably going to take a quarterback.’ I am never going to forget the look on his face. He said “that will be the worst decision this organization ever makes.” His eyes kind of glossed over and he went out the next year and had a stellar year. We were 12-4 and he made the Pro Bowl. That just speaks to the type of competitor he is.

Just Awesome.

The cherry on top is us winning the Super Bowl.

Last edited:
I said, ‘Drew, I’m going to be honest with you here. We are probably going to take a quarterback.’ I am never going to forget the look on his face. He said “that will be the worst decision this organization ever makes.”

Drew Brees is psychic :worthy:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom