Q & A with Saints Coach Sean Payton (1 Viewer)

Andrus

Owner/Webmaster
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
snews.gif

Full Story - Official Saints Website

New Orleans Saints Head Coach Sean Payton

Conference Call with New Orleans Media

Wednesday, December 14, 2016

Where do you think Stephone Anthony lands in the long-term, in the middle or on the outside?

“That’s a good question. He played in the middle obviously this past weekend and last year. I think it’s something that obviously the sooner the better we can sort out. We wanted to move him to SAM feeling like it was a chance to get our best three linebackers on the field. I don’t know if we got the full evaluation of that experiment. Some of the things that are hurting this player, he’s explosive, he’s disruptive and yet his key and diagnose and his instincts at times are off. It’s run and he’s dropping back in a pass mode or it’s pass and he’s at the line of scrimmage. His ability to see and diagnose some very simple reads for instance are the keys for him getting better. I think he was able to do a little bit more of that the other night. That’s been the thing that’s kept him back and quite honestly, it’s kept him back on special teams, because a player like him who is on special teams if he’s covering a kick or covering a punt generally, a guy that can run and hit shows up and he’s been I would say just okay in that area. I was encouraged with the other night on defense. That’s what he has to keep working on.”

Is Craig Robertson a guy who excels more at middle linebacker or do you think Craig can help you guys at any linebacker position?

“I think Craig has stepped in, played more than we’ve expected and done a real good job. He’s someone who’s exceptionally smart. It comes to him quickly. I think he can play a mike, I think he can play a will. He has some position flexibility. He showed in years past in Cleveland, backing up several positions while also playing in the kicking game, but he’s been one of our better linebackers this season.”

How do you teach a guy like Stephone to improve his instincts?

“You hope that through repetition those things are going to come. You hope that he begins to calm down a little bit. Part of it happens for a lot of these players as they play more and more, they begin to recognize two by two, three by one, run keys, slot pro, how to study tape and how to take it on the field. You hope that experience begins to slow the game down.”

By NewOrleansSaints.com

Full Story - Official Saints Website

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom