QB "Betrayal" index in The Athletic - Brees #1 (1 Viewer)

Soooooooooo…….to revisit an old thread….. “Did SP hold us back”????
Nope, he won us our first Super Bowl, so he didn’t hold the Saints back. But no one is perfect and everyone makes mistakes. Payton’s biggest issue was loyalty. Loyalty is a good thing to have, but there’s a point where you draw the line and I think Payton struggles in that area.

We got a ring. It's not easy, to win more than one. Once you take BB and Brady out of the last 20-25 years, there's only one with more than one (Coughlin I think). I blame Bounty gate more than anything.
Thats insane. Then i think only Manning and Roethlisberger won more than 1 SuperBowl. Outside of Patriots no team has had a dynasty the last 25 years

Im going to say tge 2015 defense was the worst. At least in 12 and 16 the Saints held an opponent scorless. In 2014 the defense had some decent games.

In 2015 the Saints made Eli look like Peyton Manning having a career day. They scored 50 plus points and barely got by the Giants.

All terrible defenses. That's a huge chunk of his time here.

A decent defense in 2008 and we win the division and he wins MVP over Manning's uninspiring statistical season.

I agree, and if Payton had one major weakness this was it. I remember sitting in the Dome in 2007 and 2008 and shaking my head, wondering how Payton could allow Gary Gibbs to keep his job! Wasn’t a surprise how our “luck” changed the next year!
Rick Venturi was chuckling in the background. We always figured he had something on the FO at the time. There was no other reason for him to keep his job

The 2012 defense was HISTORICALLY bad from a yardage perspective. They gave up over 7,000 yards that season. Which I think was/is a record.
Is that the year where the gap between the 1st and 31st ranked defenses was closer than the gap between the 31st ranked and the Saints 32nd ranked defense? Has THAT ever happened before (or since)?!!! I still can't wrap my head around that!

Sean Payton became a great coach. My opinion, the only reason he lasted long enough in the NFL to become a great coach is Brees. If we had any other QB, the Sean Payton ship sinks after 2012.
Agreed. The luxury of having a future HOF elite QB, will buy you some time to get things right.

Thats insane. Then i think only Manning and Roethlisberger won more than 1 SuperBowl. Outside of Patriots no team has had a dynasty the last 25 years
Ben did it with two coaches, so only Eli did it with the same coach. The only betrayal in my view is that Drew never got an MVP.

We got a ring. It's not easy, to win more than one. Once you take BB and Brady out of the last 20-25 years, there's only one with more than one (Coughlin I think). I blame Bounty gate more than anything.
It’s Brady, Big Ben, and Eli that have two. Manning has two with the Colts and Broncos, but they were separate runs.

It’s Brady, Big Ben, and Eli that have two. Manning has two with the Colts and Broncos, but they were separate runs.
Ya, it's really only Eli with the same coach. Peyton did it with two teams and Ben two coaches. At this point, bringing up Brady skews any discussion.

Ya, it's really only Eli with the same coach. Peyton did it with two teams and Ben two coaches. At this point, bringing up Brady skews any discussion.
Personally, I don’t think it’s Brady that started it. It is Jordan and the Bulls of the NBA. That’s when ring counting started.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom