QB by committee? (1 Viewer)

FeelMyBrees

Very Banned
Reaction score
Do you think the NFL will evolve somehow in that direction?

maybe it sounds crazy, but think about that question in regards to RB's 20 years ago.
sports "evolve" to have more and more specialized players. For example, how many pitchers in the MLB actually pitch 9 innings anymore? Pre-strike 90's you had people like nolan ryan that could pitch 14 innings and now you got a guy who comes in for a left handed batter. and forget about saberhagen and eckersly, side arm pitchers doing that stuff for 9 innings today.

The more i think about it, the Jets may have been trying to do that, but tebow is just a ****-show and it failed miserably. I can see how in the future, with the emergence of all these scrambling QB's, that there might one day be downs that someone like drew brees would go to the sidelines for and bring out some read-option qb that isn't a pocket guy, or (crazy) even have 2 qb's on the field.

look at the evolution of football: started out iron man, then some crazy coach made a two platoon system, then in the 60's some crazy coach started really using TE's as receivers, then the pro-set was all the rage and then vertical offenses (coryell)... now this pistol formation has seen some success and given some credence to the scramble qb's and/or read-option.

i know it sounds crazy, but is totally probable.

The read option isn't an innovation it's just a recycled college strategy. With the QB salaries the way they are headed, teams arent gonnaet their qbs get hit like that over time. All the read option qbs are still on rookie contracts. When they make $20mil a year they'll be pocket guys. The evolution i see is exploiting matchups. Two tight end sets, receiving backs, screens, bigger receivers will continue. Especially with the rules opening up the middle of the field.

It's possible, I just dont see it being too successful. But if you are a team that doesnt have an elite QB, and you have one that can throw OK, and one that can run, I can see someone doing the duel read/option thing. Some people have speculated that that is what Chip Kelly plans to do.

the 9ers did something similar with Smith/Kaepernick before Kaep became the starter. He would get a handful of snaps per game run pistol. Reid did the same thing with Vick and McNabb a few years ago too.

It's asking for contriversey though. If you running QB is giving you big plays and your traditional guy is giving you INT's, fans and media will scream for the running guy to get more opportunities.

i see it more than just a recycled college fad like the wildcat. there is a huge difference between an NFL team recruiting and designing a team around the pistol than a desperate coach trying something crazy because certain talent is lacking.

The thing that makes the read option work so well is when you have a QB who is mobile enough to run it, and can make a throw like a pocket passer.

If you had two types of QB's and switched, aren't you giving the play type away?

The thing that makes the read option work so well is when you have a QB who is mobile enough to run it, and can make a throw like a pocket passer.

If you had two types of QB's and switched, aren't you giving the play type away?

like when the saints would have a single set with either ingram or sproles?

i see it more than just a recycled college fad like the wildcat. there is a huge difference between an NFL team recruiting and designing a team around the pistol than a desperate coach trying something crazy because certain talent is lacking.

I agree. My only thing with the read option is it requires a special kind of QB. Sure there are plenty of college QB's that run it, but in the NFL they will have to possess NFL traits. On 3rd and 10 they will still have to have the ability to drop back and throw the ball and stick into tight windows like traditional QB's. This part of the reason why Tebow is jobless right now. Guys like Kaep, RG3, Wilson, Newton are special from a physical stand point. It's hard enough to find a traditional elite QB, very hard to find one that can run and throw. Last year's draft was an anomoly.

Thats the catch.

Now, one possibility you have is if you have young guy who can run and throw, like Kaep was. He would come in during some packages and run read option, but sometimes he'd sling it and catch defenses off guard.

But then you get to the point of asking, why not let this guy start?

I won't take credit for the original thought. Heard this a few years back on some sports show.

But.... no..... QB by committee won't work in the NFL.

Sure, it works in baseball. Because over the years the game has evolved to include closers and set-up men. They even have long-kept stats for closers. It's a part of the game.

But a QB in the NFL is a different animal. He's like a CEO or a wife. You don't replace him unless you replace him for good. You don't tell a CEO after Thanksgiving break, thanks dude, but we're bringing in Marty from accounting to take us to the New Year. You start over on Jan. 1. And you don't tell your wife, thanks babe, you did a fine job at work, with the kids, and supper was great. Can't wait for your killer eggs in the morning. But it's bedtime now so... RONDA! Your turn!

You don't take -- oh, I don't know, say Mark Sanchez -- tell him to guide the team down to the nine, then replace him with Tebow for the close and touchdown. Quarterbacks keep up with stats just like every other sports guy. And you don't tell the team you don't trust him to close. Montana wouldn't have taken that. Brees won't take that. No Manning would take that. If you tag-team quarterbacks, you tell the team, the fans, and the quarterbacks, that you have no confidence in the closer. Where did the Jets finish last year?

Quarterbacks aren't baseball pitchers. A baseball pitcher has a complete game, and SportsCenter talks about it. It's rare. Well, not rare, but it certainly isn't expected every game. A quarterback finishing a drive is expected. Every. Single. Time. And when he doesn't, SportsCenter talks about it.

QB by committee? Why not? It worked out great for LSU.

good point, but how many QB's are floating around the league that aren't closers, that are just "you'll have to do for now"? or even look at the vikings with Webb... i see them doing a few crazy plays with him lined up at WR and setting in motion and then getting a toss and passing it...
look at freeman, palmer, rivers, weeden, cutler, sanchez, henne, gabbert, foles, quinn, kolb, skelton... tons of bland qb's with the capacity to do decent, but really aren't ever going to be great. there are only so many Bree's, rodgers, brady's and mannings to be had in one league at any given time.
especially with this cap moving a lot slower over the next few years, i can really see teams like the cards, bills, jags, start gearing towards a qb committee as an advantage to keep defenses on their toes.
Would you feel completely comfortable going up against a team with two completely different starting qb's? how does that mess with your strategy and preparation?

good point, but how many QB's are floating around the league that aren't closers, that are just "you'll have to do for now"? or even look at the vikings with Webb... i see them doing a few crazy plays with him lined up at WR and setting in motion and then getting a toss and passing it...
look at freeman, palmer, rivers, weeden, cutler, sanchez, henne, gabbert, foles, quinn, kolb, skelton... tons of bland qb's with the capacity to do decent, but really aren't ever going to be great. there are only so many Bree's, rodgers, brady's and mannings to be had in one league at any given time.
especially with this cap moving a lot slower over the next few years, i can really see teams like the cards, bills, jags, start gearing towards a qb committee as an advantage to keep defenses on their toes.
Would you feel completely comfortable going up against a team with two completely different starting qb's? how does that mess with your strategy and preparation?

All valid points.

Didn't we sub in Aaron Brooks throughout games when Jeff Blake was the starter? My memory is a tad fuzzy trying to remember.

I don't remember that at all. Brooks played only after Blake went down.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom