QB Decision Time for the Saints: Time to Bring Someone In? (1 Viewer)

TenTwo

local shortstop
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
The Saints have a big decision to make. We have 2 healthy QBs on the roster, and one of those guys plays a bunch of snaps which could subject him to injury. I think they will look to bring in another backup for a short term insurance policy.

They have Teddy Bridgewater, apparent starter in Brees ~6 week absence, and Taysom Hill, jack of all trades who was running WR routes while we were down two WRs yesterday. I think the Saints value Hill's versatility more than they see him as a QB for 6 weeks. My bet...they want to keep him in that same role.

I am guessing the Saints are on the phone with FA QBs this morning to fill in the gap at QB2/3. No way we roll with Bridgewater and risk his only back up to injury, the way we did yesterday. If we don't see a new QB on the roster by tomorrow, I think it is clear that Hill's role will change to strictly backup. If they sign a Special Teamer, that would be another sign.

If were to bring someone in, any bets on who that might be?

Last edited:
Teddy's contract says he's the backup, and Hill the swiss army knife. They'll give TB a couple weeks to get up to speed before trying out Hill.

Hey St. Widge, you really don't think we need another QB on the roster for at least the next 6 weeks??

Prediction: By week 5, you're all really, really going to hate Teddy Bridgewater. And the conversation of "why isn't Taysom starting?" is going to be so deafening, it'll raise the roof off the dome.

And if that happens, Payton is going to obliterate any chance at a run when Brees returns, all because he decided to overpay Teddy. Great offensive schemer - highly questionable personnel decisions. We're at the mercy of Payton's weakest skillset.

Hey St. Widge, you really don't think we need another QB on the roster for at least the next 6 weeks??

Sorry. I read the thread wrong. I thought you were saying we needed another starting QB. My mistake.

But, I doubt we bring in another QB. Two is what we carried on the roster for years before Hill emerged as a guy who could contribute on offense and special teams. I do think you are right that they will likely not play Hill at TE or on special teams with Brees out, but I still think he will get snaps at QB to run the read option. Also, with Brees out, Payton might be more likely to let Hill throw the ball and maybe run some RPOs.

Sorry. I read the thread wrong. I thought you were saying we needed another starting QB. My mistake.

But, I doubt we bring in another QB. Two is what we carried on the roster for years before Hill emerged as a guy who could contribute on offense and special teams. I do think you are right that they will likely not play Hill at TE or on special teams with Brees out, but I still think he will get snaps at QB to run the read option. Also, with Brees out, Payton might be more likely to let Hill throw the ball and maybe run some RPOs.

Good point. Edited OP to be more clear on what I meant.

Prediction: By week 5, you're all really, really going to hate Teddy Bridgewater. And the conversation of "why isn't Taysom starting?" is going to be so deafening, it'll raise the roof off the dome.

And if that happens, Payton is going to obliterate any chance at a run when Brees returns, all because he decided to overpay Teddy. Great offensive schemer - highly questionable personnel decisions. We're at the mercy of Payton's weakest skillset.

Bridgewater, at this point, is an average NFL starting QB and he gets paid as a backup QB. That's not a bad deal at all. Did he play well yesterday? No. But as I said in another thread he was set up to fail yesterday. The offensive game plane was designed around Drew Brees, not Bridgewater; the team was deflated after the Brees injury and horrible call on the Jordan scoop and score; even Brees has struggled against the Rams defense and they added Marcus Peters this year; Aaron Donald is a monster that puts constant pressure on a QB in his face and our starting LG was hurt; and Bridgewater has seen live NFL action one time in the regular season in last 3 or 4 years and that was a game nobody cared about; and he only had about one season of starts in the NFL before that. It's going to take some time for him to adjust to the speed of the game and what it's like to play with pressure/make quick decisions. Plus, Payton needs a chance to design the game plan around what Bridgewater does best instead of what Brees does best. If he struggles then, then it will be time to give Hill a chance.

As far as your claims about Payton's "weaknesses." That's just patently ridiculous. He has his misses, but overall he is a very good talent evaluator. Much better than most coaches in the NFL and it certainly isn't a weakness. If he has a weakness, and I'm not sure he does, it's too much loyalty to some assistants and a tendency to abandon the run game.

Bridgewater, at this point, is an average NFL starting QB and he gets paid as a backup QB. That's not a bad deal at all. Did he play well yesterday? No. But as I said in another thread he was set up to fail yesterday. The offensive game plane was designed around Drew Brees, not Bridgewater; the team was deflated after the Brees injury and horrible call on the Jordan scoop and score; even Brees has struggled against the Rams defense and they added Marcus Peters this year; Aaron Donald is a monster that puts constant pressure on a QB in his face and our starting LG was hurt; and Bridgewater has seen live NFL action one time in the regular season in last 3 or 4 years and that was a game nobody cared about; and he only had about one season of starts in the NFL before that. It's going to take some time for him to adjust to the speed of the game and what it's like to play with pressure/make quick decisions. Plus, Payton needs a chance to design the game plan around what Bridgewater does best instead of what Brees does best. If he struggles then, then it will be time to give Hill a chance.

As far as your claims about Payton's "weaknesses." That's just patently ridiculous. He has his misses, but overall he is a very good talent evaluator. Much better than most coaches in the NFL and it certainly isn't a weakness. If he has a weakness, and I'm not sure he does, it's too much loyalty to some assistants and a tendency to abandon the run game.

You are entitled to your opinion, but we have a large enough sample size to know that TB is not a fit for this offense. He underperformed in week 17 of last season against Carolina and was outplayed by a backup. He was outplayed by Hill - who, incidentally, wasn't afforded the opportunity to play with the starters - in the preseason, and, regardless of your excuses for it, he was less than pedestrian yesterday.

This isn't rocket science. Bridgewater was a poor personnel decision twice - once to trade for him, and the other to pay him that contract, arguably making players like Mark Ingram a cost casualty. Your praise for Payton's roster decisions is obsequious.

You are entitled to your opinion, but we have a large enough sample size to know that TB is not a fit for this offense. He underperformed in week 17 of last season against Carolina and was outplayed by a backup. He was outplayed by Hill - who, incidentally, wasn't afforded the opportunity to play with the starters - in the preseason, and, regardless of your excuses for it, he was less than pedestrian yesterday.

This isn't rocket science. Bridgewater was a poor personnel decision twice - once to trade for him, and the other to pay him that contract, arguably making players like Mark Ingram a cost casualty. Your praise for Payton's roster decisions is obsequious.

Yeah, ingratiating, too! LOL!

But then the team is either having to carry four QBs, making it more difficult to manage other injuries, or expanding the time Drew is out to a minimum of 8 weeks by placing him on IR. Neither of those seem ideal just to carry a journeyman QB who will be of limited value unless a need arises, and at some point, you just can’t gameplan for every contingency.

I’d rather they roll with what they are doing, get Hill back to his level of involvement and/ or increase his QB snaps. If disaster strikes, this season is done, and carrying a Tom Savage or whomever wasn’t going to change that course anyway.

I think they’ll sign someone as a third string backup to Hill. In the meantime I hope we see both TB and Taysom playing back and forth. Go with the hot hand in the meantime.

Just make Morestead the emergency QB. Run, run, run, punt.

The Saints have a big decision to make. We have 2 healthy QBs on the roster, and one of those guys plays a bunch of snaps which could subject him to injury. I think they will look to bring in another backup for a short term insurance policy.

They have Teddy Bridgewater, apparent starter in Brees ~6 week absence, and Taysom Hill, jack of all trades who was running WR routes while we were down two WRs yesterday. I think the Saints value Hill's versatility more than they see him as a QB for 6 weeks. My bet...they want to keep him in that same role.

I am guessing the Saints are on the phone with FA QBs this morning to fill in the gap at QB2/3. No way we roll with Bridgewater and risk his only back up to injury, the way we did yesterday. If we don't see a new QB on the roster by tomorrow, I think it is clear that Hill's role will change to strictly backup. If they sign a Special Teamer, that would be another sign.

If were to bring someone in, any bets on who that might be?

Nope. Teddy is the starter and Taysom is the backup. Anyone we'd bring in would just take up a valuable roster spot. Yes, Taysom played too much WR yesterday because of injury but we have more players that can step up to play vs Seattle and let Taysom go back to his role as gadget/backup QB.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom