QB Decision Time for the Saints: Time to Bring Someone In? (1 Viewer)

maybe bring back the kid from ohio state? he knows the playbook already

Bridgewater, at this point, is an average NFL starting QB and he gets paid as a backup QB. That's not a bad deal at all. Did he play well yesterday? No. But as I said in another thread he was set up to fail yesterday. The offensive game plane was designed around Drew Brees, not Bridgewater; the team was deflated after the Brees injury and horrible call on the Jordan scoop and score; even Brees has struggled against the Rams defense and they added Marcus Peters this year; Aaron Donald is a monster that puts constant pressure on a QB in his face and our starting LG was hurt; and Bridgewater has seen live NFL action one time in the regular season in last 3 or 4 years and that was a game nobody cared about; and he only had about one season of starts in the NFL before that. It's going to take some time for him to adjust to the speed of the game and what it's like to play with pressure/make quick decisions. Plus, Payton needs a chance to design the game plan around what Bridgewater does best instead of what Brees does best. If he struggles then, then it will be time to give Hill a chance.

Sorry but what I saw from Bridgewater yesterday was what I saw in preseason, which was not good. He struggled mightily in preseason and that was against backups. Yesterday, against a starting unit, he struggled with his progressions, held on to the ball too long, his throws were inaccurate, and he looked like he was lost. I'm not buying the gameplan around Brees and not Bridgewater explanation. He has played the game before, has experience enough to at least look in command of what he is doing. IMHO, he's lost out there.

I really hope you're right as we will see Sunday in Seattle, which will not be any easier. I cannot help but continue to wish they'd go with Taysom Hill instead of Bridgewater. I mean Payton said it himself that Hill is like another Steve Young. And then like Aikman said in yesterday;s telecast, "he should be starting then". If Payton really means that, then why would you start Bridgewater over Steve Young? Just asking......

Bridgewater is bad enough that Id be willing to send draft picks to Chicago for Chase Daniel. He knows the offense and he is at least willing to try to win a game. If its not going to be Taysom, find out what Chicago wants for Daniel.

I mean Payton said it himself that Hill is like another Steve Young. And then like Aikman said in yesterday;s telecast, "he should be starting then". If Payton really means that, then why would you start Bridgewater over Steve Young? Just asking......

Payton was just giving AIkman and Buck the business. Troy bit on it both times, I don't think Buck bit either time.

ETA, Payton may have been alluding to Taysom's running prowess and athleticism.

Come to think of it, Young sucked pretty badly in his first 3-4 years, so I can't rule out that Payton was serious.

I imagine that they will try to find someone for the practice squad. Just another arm for practice and someone to learn the offense.

We are one play away from only having Hill at QB. So It wouldn't be a bad idea to at least have someone else in the building.

Would you talk with NY Giants about swapping Bridgewater for Manning and a 5th round pick? NY wants to rid itself of Manning at the end of the year. Just throwing out suggestions. Bridgewater is not the future unless Payton plans to redo the offense to a running QB

Payton was just giving AIkman and Buck the business. Troy bit on it both times, I don't think Buck bit either time.

ETA, Payton may have been alluding to Taysom's running prowess and athleticism.

Come to think of it, Young sucked pretty badly in his first 3-4 years, so I can't rule out that Payton was serious.
Payton's statement about Hill was openly stated for all the world to hear. Not just Aikman and Buck. Since none of us are in Payton's head, one cannot just arbitrarily state what exactly Payton was referring to; i.e. his running ability and athleticism vs his ability to man the position. Finally, Young sucked the first few years because he was with a terrible Tampa Bay team.

I really hope you're right as we will see Sunday in Seattle, which will not be any easier. I cannot help but continue to wish they'd go with Taysom Hill instead of Bridgewater. I mean Payton said it himself that Hill is like another Steve Young. And then like Aikman said in yesterday;s telecast, "he should be starting then". If Payton really means that, then why would you start Bridgewater over Steve Young? Just asking......

He doesn't really mean that. He's just hyping his guys up. Aikman's statement got everyone all fired up but LOL if you think Payton really thinks Taysom Hill is the next Steve Young.

maybe bring back the kid from ohio state? he knows the playbook already
JT Barrett got picked up by Seattle when we let him go. Wouldn't be a bad idea to even sign him to the PS this week if he remembers anything from his time there. Lord knows we can use all the help we can get for this game.

He doesn't really mean that. He's just hyping his guys up. Aikman's statement got everyone all fired up but LOL if you think Payton really thinks Taysom Hill is the next Steve Young.
So you are inside of Sean Payton's head and are absolutely sure he as just toying with everyone when he said that? So Payton really didn't mean that? You know that for sure? LMBO

Here's a wild idea. Rotate Bridgewater and Hill like most teams do with their running backs. The Cowboys did this one year back in the 70's and were fairly successful with it. Play TB for a series, then Hill. Back and forth. I'm sure critics will say it's not good for the teams timing and rhythm, but it would benefit the Saints organization to find out what their made of. Basically audition time to help see the future. It could be important down the road when you need to decide who to keep and who to pay (and how much).

Personally, I'd go full time with Hill, but I'm thinking Coach Payton see's a higher side with Bridgewater based on his actual NFL game experience whereas Hill has none. Not really fair as I think Hill performed better in preseason but then again I'm not around these two 24/7 like the coaching staff.

Starting Teddy reminds me of rearranging deck chairs on the titanic.

How many weeks do we have to waste to make his supporters happy?

Do you think the coaches are making any decisions out of some interest to make Teddy’s “supporters” (which should be every Saints fan) happy? Or do you think they will make decisions that they think are in the best interests of the team and players?

So you are inside of Sean Payton's head and are absolutely sure he as just toying with everyone when he said that? So Payton really didn't mean that? You know that for sure? LMBO

I have no idea what the exact comment was that Payton made, or any context to go with it. I only caught some of the commentary during the game about it.

Was he making a comparison to the athleticism and both having played at BYU? Did he say he thought Hill would be as good, which seems really premature given what Young accomplished in the NFL?

But let’s assume that Payton believes that Hill’s ceiling is that of a hall of famer, that doesn’t mean he thinks he’s ready now, or more capable at this time to help the team than Bridgewater (all of which is also speculation).

I was never that high on TB and thought it was stupid to give up a 3rd rounder last year for him, even though most thought it was a great idea for a “probowl qb”

I’m still beating the drum for Sam Bradford like last year. He and Brees are the top 2 record holders for comp % so you know he’s accurate. He gets hurt all the time but this will be the best oline he’s played behind. And he didn’t play much last year so he should be completely healthy. And he won’t hang onto the ball for 10 mins like TB.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom