QB Draft test (1 Viewer)

Parcells I think it was had a formula for grading and drafting QBs. So many years as a starter, # of wins, completion %, etc.. Can't quite remember the details of it, but I believe that Ian Book checked all the boxes. SP does a lot of things the Parcells way.

Of the QBs mentioned in this thread, I've only seen multiple games with Pickett, Strong, and Ridder. I was very impressed with Pickett. I believe he checks all of those boxes and he has prototype size. Definitely passed the eyeball test, to me anyway.

I know we were supposedly going to pick Mahommes and we supposedly tried to trade up for Jones. But it's still hard for me to imagine Sean Payton with a blue chip rookie QB. I guess having an elite 1st ballot HOF QB for a decade and a half and therefore no need or oportunity to do so is the main reason for that.

Parcells I think it was had a formula for grading and drafting QBs. So many years as a starter, # of wins, completion %, etc.. Can't quite remember the details of it, but I believe that Ian Book checked all the boxes. SP does a lot of things the Parcells way.

Of the QBs mentioned in this thread, I've only seen multiple games with Pickett, Strong, and Ridder. I was very impressed with Pickett. I believe he checks all of those boxes and he has prototype size. Definitely passed the eyeball test, to me anyway.

I know we were supposedly going to pick Mahommes and we supposedly tried to trade up for Jones. But it's still hard for me to imagine Sean Payton with a blue chip rookie QB. I guess having an elite 1st ballot HOF QB for a decade and a half and therefore no need or oportunity to do so is the main reason for that.
Parcells check list is a good template to use . It states , be a three year starter , be a senior , graduate , start 30 games , win 23 games , at least 2-1 TD to INT ratio , complete at least 60% of his passes . Most guys check a few of those boxes in todays college football , Ian Book however checked every one of those boxes . The only guy to do that in last years draft . I happen to think if he was in this class he would be slated as a 2nd round pick that could push to the 1st round . This class has alot of unknowns , talent is there but no one jumps out as day one pro ready . We have seen these drafts before . QBs get pushed up the board just because they are the QBs . This season would scare me as a GM or coach to take one high , I'm just not sold on any of them but I do like Picket and Howell but I think its more hit or miss than usual this draft . Ian Book to me is a safer bet next season as the possible future QB than these guys in this class .

Last edited:
Please list the conference and teams that those stats were compiled against.
I listed the players names later in the thread .#1 Matt Coral , Ole Miss SEC.#2 Kenny Pickett, Pittsburg ACC . #3 Sam Howell , North Carolina ACC . #4 Desmond Ridder Cincinnati American conference , #5 Ian Book, Notre Dame . #6 Carson Strong Nevada , MWC

Parcells check list is a good template to use . It states , be a three year starter , be a senior , graduate , start 30 games , win 23 games , at least 2-1 TD to INT ratio , complete at least 60% of his passes . Most guys check a few of those boxes in todays college football , Ian Book however checked every one of those boxes . The only guy to do that in last years draft . I happen to think if he was in this class he would be slated as a 2nd round pick that could push to the 1st round . This class has alot of unknowns , talent is there but no one jumps out as day one pro ready . We have seen these drafts before . QBs get pushed up the board just because they are the QBs . This season would scare me as a GM or coach to take one high , I'm just not sold on any of them but I do like Picket and Howell but I think its more hit or miss than usual this draft . Ian Book to me is a safer bet next season as the possible future QB than these guys in this class .

Being a true day-1 pro-ready rookie QB is dicey. A few can pull it off somehow (Herbert, Burrow, Murray and it's looking like Mac Jones have in recent years), but more often than not, a young QB would probably benefit from a year, or at least half a year sitting behind a veteran. Mahommes had that advantage and when he finally got his shot, he was absolutely ready.

I think teams often start rookie QBs out of desperation or they simply want immediate returns on their investment. I understand that, but a lot of these guys get thrown into the fire and struggle. A lot of times that struggle creates bad habits that they spend the rest of their short careers trying to break or somehow overcome.

Josh Allen is the only recent case that I can think of where he was thrown into the fire, struggled, and eventually overcame the struggles to become arguably an elite QB. I'm sure there are others. But there are many QBs where I think a year (and probably better surrounding talent) would have given them a chance to be a high level player at the most complex position in all of sports. Too many of them appear to spend too much time in their own head while a play is under way. The jury is still out on some of this year's young guns, but it's not looking to encouraging at this point. (Lawrence, Z. Wilson, Fields).

Maybe SP agrees with this and Book is the plan? Or maybe there were traits he liked and drafted him just to see what happens. Maybe a little of both. But I'm very glad that they haven't just said WTH, and threw Ian out there this year with a rag-tag replacement level OL and less than that at receiver. That would've been a terrible situation to do "trial by fire".

Being a true day-1 pro-ready rookie QB is dicey. A few can pull it off somehow (Herbert, Burrow, Murray and it's looking like Mac Jones have in recent years), but more often than not, a young QB would probably benefit from a year, or at least half a year sitting behind a veteran. Mahommes had that advantage and when he finally got his shot, he was absolutely ready.

I think teams often start rookie QBs out of desperation or they simply want immediate returns on their investment. I understand that, but a lot of these guys get thrown into the fire and struggle. A lot of times that struggle creates bad habits that they spend the rest of their short careers trying to break or somehow overcome.

Josh Allen is the only recent case that I can think of where he was thrown into the fire, struggled, and eventually overcame the struggles to become arguably an elite QB. I'm sure there are others. But there are many QBs where I think a year (and probably better surrounding talent) would have given them a chance to be a high level player at the most complex position in all of sports. Too many of them appear to spend too much time in their own head while a play is under way. The jury is still out on some of this year's young guns, but it's not looking to encouraging at this point. (Lawrence, Z. Wilson, Fields).

Maybe SP agrees with this and Book is the plan? Or maybe there were traits he liked and drafted him just to see what happens. Maybe a little of both. But I'm very glad that they haven't just said WTH, and threw Ian out there this year with a rag-tag replacement level OL and less than that at receiver. That would've been a terrible situation to do "trial by fire".
I think the with Book the proof is in the pudding so to speak . We have a walking injury report for a football team , coach Payton is not going to " waste " a roster spot on a kid he sees as a back up QB . Not with the injury's we have . The contract we gave Taysom makes sense if the plan is for him to be insurance / competition for Book next training camp . However my gut tells me if Book gets on the field this year he will not give that job up for a long time . I think the plan was to sit him all year , plans change . With how this season has unfolded we may speed the process up with Book . Best case for the franchise is for us to Have our QB of the future already in house . For cap reasons , and for the simple fact of not having another season of QB trial and error . The re tool would go alot smother if Book is the guy .

I think the with Book the proof is in the pudding so to speak . We have a walking injury report for a football team , coach Payton is not going to " waste " a roster spot on a kid he sees as a back up QB . Not with the injury's we have . The contract we gave Taysom makes sense if the plan is for him to be insurance / competition for Book next training camp . However my gut tells me if Book gets on the field this year he will not give that job up for a long time . I think the plan was to sit him all year , plans change . With how this season has unfolded we may speed the process up with Book . Best case for the franchise is for us to Have our QB of the future already in house . For cap reasons , and for the simple fact of not having another season of QB trial and error . The re tool would go alot smother if Book is the guy .
Even with the receivers we have (or don't have), Book could get some on-field development time towards the end of the season. And I don't think anybody could legit gripe, especially if this tailspin continues. But I would have serious concerns putting him out there without at least having Rams, McCoy, and Armstead on the field. Ruiz and whoever is LG at the moment would be worrisome, but nothing's ever perfect.

Just don't want to see him out there getting pounded into the turf and running for his life.

Even with the receivers we have (or don't have), Book could get some on-field development time towards the end of the season. And I don't think anybody could legit gripe, especially if this tailspin continues. But I would have serious concerns putting him out there without at least having Rams, McCoy, and Armstead on the field. Ruiz and whoever is LG at the moment would be worrisome, but nothing's ever perfect.

Just don't want to see him out there getting pounded into the turf and running for his life.
Having the OL some what intact is the key . If they are healthy and Kamara as well I say play him

what are the other measurables?
How tall is he?
Athletic?
can he run fast?
is he durable?
Does he have an injury history?
Did he play in a pro-style offense?
Can he read defenses?
a he make "all the throws?"
How has he played in big games?

You get the idea....

what are the other measurables?
How tall is he?
Athletic?
can he run fast?
is he durable?
Does he have an injury history?
Did he play in a pro-style offense?
Can he read defenses?
a he make "all the throws?"
How has he played in big games?

You get the idea....
Can he do a backflip?

Can he play safety?

1 is Matt Coral , 2 is Kenny Pickett , 3 is Sam Howell , 4 is Desmond Ridder , 5 is our own Ian Book , 6 is Carson Strong .
When you factor the names one could say that if Book was in this class of QBs and you factor his winning % 30-5 at Notre Dame he would be higher up boards than he was last year . This isnt a class that has a slam dunk in round one , talent yes slam dunk no . Book may be our best chance at a young QB
I think Ian Book has played against more top 10 defenses than anyone on this list. I look at how many ranked teams a QB has played againest and how he did in those games to get a better read of the stats.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom