QB in first round now? (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
I say they have to do this even if they resign Jameis. If he signs elsewhere Saints could be sitting on draft day with Taysom Hill and Blake Bortles and Trevor Simien and Ian Book in their QB room. Yikes!!!!!!
I am solidly behind taking in this order Kenny Pickett, Carson Strong or Matt Corall in the draft. I am afraid after the combine both Pickett and Strong will go top ten and then might have to trade up for Corall who might not be there at 18.

Depends on who gets the HC job. If it's Allen, I expect them to push hard to keep Jameis. But if they bring in someone else, plans could change. It would have to be a hell of a pitch considering Jameis basically gave up two years at dirt cheap just to work with Payton. I now expect him to sign elsewhere for that reason.

Drafting a QB in the 1st rd just for the sake of drafting one is a huge mistake. You better be sure that's the guy.

I think there will be better value at WR, OL, or DL at #18. Even a guy like Kyle Hamilton would be intriguing if he was available. That would allow them to let Marcus Williams go and replace him with a potentially better FS who will be on a much cheaper contract.

Tanking wouldn't have been so bad after all if CSP knew he was leaving N.O. now we sitting at pick 18 praying a QB fall to us but in all reality we should've drafted a QB a few years ago to sit behind Brees and take more of a apprenticeship role. I'm just not believing CSP would blindside this fanbase like this. This ain't adding up something big must've really set him off

Drafting a QB in the 1st rd just for the sake of drafting one is a huge mistake. You better be sure that's the guy.

I think there will be better value at WR, OL, or DL at #18. Even a guy like Kyle Hamilton would be intriguing if he was available. That would allow them to let Marcus Williams go and replace him with a potentially better FS who will be on a much cheaper contract.
Can you not say that about drafting any position just for the sake a drafting the position.

Can you not say that about drafting any position just for the sake a drafting the position.
Nah...because any other position if they're not that good, you still end up getting some use out of them. Draft a QB in rd1 and they suck...that's a wrap, & the rest of the O sucks as a result until they're put on the bench and you stop getting any production out of them

Nah...because any other position if they're not that good, you still end up getting some use out of them. Draft a QB in rd1 and they suck...that's a wrap, & the rest of the O sucks as a result until they're put on the bench and you stop getting any production out of them
If we spent every pick we have on offense but don’t have anyone good enough to throw the ball the offense will suck. I think that whoever the coach is they will draft a QB.

Go after a vet QB. This year QB draft class is weak. Better to draft a QB in 2023.

Just for clarity, here are the QBs drafted in the first round since 2010:

Lawrence
Wilson
Lance
Fields
Jones

Burrow
Tua
Herbert
Love

Murray
Jones
Haskins

Mayfield
Darnold
Allen
Rosen
Jackson

Trubisky
Mahomes
Watson

Goff
Wentz
Lynch

Winston
Mariota

Bortles
Manziel
Bridgewater

Manuel

Luck
RGIII
Tannehill
Weedon

Newton
Locker
Gabbert
Ponder

Bradford
Tebow

It’s too early to tell with some of those more recent drafts, but on balance there’s as many hits as misses. Especially outside the top 5-10. Conversely, Jameis is a known quantity with a big upside in a familiar system.

If it’s me, I’m backing him and looking for quality at skill positions from round one.

Last edited:
Just for clarity, here are the QBs drafted in the first round since 2010:

Lawrence
Wilson
Lance
Fields
Jones

Burrow
Tua
Herbert
Love

Murray
Jones
Haskins

Mayfield
Darnold
Allen
Rosen
Jackson

Trubisky
Mahomes
Watson

Goff
Wentz
Lynch

Winston
Mariota

Bortles
Manziel
Bridgewater

Manuel

Luck
RGIII
Tannehill
Weedon

Newton
Locker
Gabbert
Ponder

Bradford
Tebow

It’s too early to tell with some of those more recent drafts, but on balance there’s as many hits as misses. Especially outside the top 5-10. Conversely, Jameis is a known quantity with a big upside in a familiar system.

If it’s me, I’m backing him and looking for quality at skill positions from round one.
Looks like less than 50% are keepers. Round 1 QB'S are a roll of the dice. Stay away, especially in a draft the "experts " say is low in QB talent, a 3rd or 4th round QB will end up being the best of this class, wait and see!

"Certain position" in the 1st round? A question asked by someone who doesn't understand personnel and the draft.

With Ireland it is pretty much going to be BPA...if that is a QB (though not likely) so be it....

I'm content with the WFT making constant mistakes reaching for QB's in the 1st round....we don't need to join them

Tanking wouldn't have been so bad after all if CSP knew he was leaving N.O. now we sitting at pick 18 praying a QB fall to us but in all reality we should've drafted a QB a few years ago to sit behind Brees and take more of a apprenticeship role. I'm just not believing CSP would blindside this fanbase like this. This ain't adding up something big must've really set him off
It's okay - the QB class this year looks bang average - more Brady Quinn than Oliver Luck. Someone in the top 3/4 will probably fall to no 18. Just our luck this class isn't stuffed with elite passers when we finally need to draft a QB!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom