NFL Draft QB Jordan Love, Utah State (1 Viewer)

The "project" word would put the brakes on picking him in the first round. I look at him and I see a little better version of Garrett Grayson and I have to pass on him.

My opinion: All 1st round QBs are projects. Every single one.

Major questions for me are...

1) Does a guy have the physical tools? Yes, Brees managed to be a once in a lifetime talent with his moderate athleticism, but it's better to shoot for the stars here. We should aspire to find a guy who can make that 50 yard throw off balance.

2) Can he make all the throws and is he accurate? Rarely does a guy from college who's inaccurate learn to be accurate in the NFL. And you can't teach arm talent and the ability to drop a dime in a window 35 yards downfield.

3) Does he have the drive? This is the key. Mahomes wouldn't be Mahomes without the will to put the work in and the leadership qualities he has. I'm as curious about how a guy interviews vs. how fast he runs the 40. Rarely is a guy just a moron as much as they are unwilling to put the mental reps in needed to get the job done.

If someone checks all the above boxes, then a great coach like Payton should be able to turn them into a starting NFL QB.

1) Does a guy have the physical tools? Yes, Brees managed to be a once in a lifetime talent with his moderate athleticism, but it's better to shoot for the stars here. We should aspire to find a guy who can make that 50 yard throw off balance.

2) Can he make all the throws and is he accurate? Rarely does a guy from college who's inaccurate learn to be accurate in the NFL. And you can't teach arm talent and the ability to drop a dime in a window 35 yards downfield.

3) Does he have the drive? This is the key. Mahomes wouldn't be Mahomes without the will to put the work in and the leadership qualities he has. I'm as curious about how a guy interviews vs. how fast he runs the 40.

If someone checks all the above boxes, then a great coach like Payton should be able to turn them into a starting NFL QB.

Hammer, meet nail.

Urban Meyer detailed what he looks for in a QB and it was pretty much this, only in reverse order.

I think arm strength becomes more important in the NFL. But the drive remains key. Urban said he actually told his assistants that he only wanted QBs who were the most competitive players on their football *and* basketball teams.

I must say, I also pulled him out of the crowd prior to the Sr. Bowl. I can't wait to see if this is all pie in the sky or if SP really pulls the trigger on a QB.

I'm impressed with his accuracy.
This is one of the most overlooked aspects of today's NFL game.
You can win in the regular season with a running QB and average accuracy but in the playoffs you will get bounced early...

I don't agree with trading all of our young talent to get Burrows.
Love could sit behind Brees for a year or two and then be ready to take over when Drew calls it a career.

Utah State quarterback Jordan Love has entered the 2020 NFL draft. This draft report breaks down his background, performance and where he goes from here.
The college football enigma that is Jordan Love has declared for the 2020 NFL Draft. A relative unknown before 2018, Love has skyrocketed up the quarterback draft boards in the weeks since his draft announcement. While 2019 might have been a tough year for Love and the Utah State Aggies, Love has put enough on film the past two seasons to make football insiders excited at the prospect of Love entering the NFL.

The way it was explained to me was that Love looked a lot like Patrick Mahomes coming out of college. A player from a medium-sized football program, with obvious talent, who could throw the ball vertically down the field like an elite quarterback, with great accuracy, but who had less than ideal technique.

Nobody wants to admit they were one of the many people who slept on Mahomes coming out into the 2017 draft. Now people are falling over themselves to label Love as the next messiah for one of the NFL’s quarterback-needy teams.

But is all this hype legit? Does Love really have what it takes to be an elite quarterback in the NFL? What was so special about his 2018 season? What happened in 2019? If he was so great, why didn’t his skills carry into the next year? How did he end up at Utah State to begin with? Could Love really play at the same level as Mahomes or is he more likely to play like Jameis Winston: a high-flying vertical passing quarterback, with fatal flaws in his ability to read coverages?

Makes no sense for us to draft Love when Teddy is out there for us. Love will take 1-2 years to be a competitive QB

Antonio Gandy-Golden is square on my radar. Hard to quantify it. But I just really like the stuff I see. I see traits I feel will translate.

3) Does he have the drive? This is the key. Mahomes wouldn't be Mahomes without the will to put the work in and the leadership qualities he has. I'm as curious about how a guy interviews vs. how fast he runs the 40. Rarely is a guy just a moron as much as they are unwilling to put the mental reps in needed to get the job done.

To add to this. One of the things I always want to see is does a QB keep his eyes down field or does he pay too much attention to the rush. And if he's a plus athlete, does he look for the throw until he has no choice but to tuck and run. Keeping the chains moving is one thing. But I like it when a QB can take off and get 7 or 8 yards even on a 3rd and 4 but at the last second is confident enough in his arm and the receiver he's throwing to to find someone 20 yards down field instead. Those long 3rd down plays just break defense's backs.

His accuracy and what he was able to do with the talent around him have me very intrigued.
I do like the new evaluation process the Saints have implemented in the last couple years.
If Ireland and Co. think he has the intangibles to be great then I'm in especially at #24.

Antonio Gandy-Golden is square on my radar. Hard to quantify it. But I just really like the stuff I see. I see traits I feel will translate.

To add to this. One of the things I always want to see is does a QB keep his eyes down field or does he pay too much attention to the rush. And if he's a plus athlete, does he look for the throw until he has no choice but to tuck and run. Keeping the chains moving is one thing. But I like it when a QB can take off and get 7 or 8 yards even on a 3rd and 4 but at the last second is confident enough in his arm and the receiver he's throwing to to find someone 20 yards down field instead. Those long 3rd down plays just break defense's backs.

You just described Aaron Rogers & Patrick Mahomes...

I have started to watch his tape from 2018 and will work through 2019. There are a lot of things I see and more importantly there are a lot of things I think Sean will like about him.

The "project" word would put the brakes on picking him in the first round. I look at him and I see a little better version of Garrett Grayson and I have to pass on him.

Much more talented than Grayson. I never understood that pick...average arm, just a mediocre prospect. There’s lots to like about Loves game...but certainly there’s risk he never develops and he'll likely be a 1st rounder.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom