NFL Draft QB Jordan Love, Utah State (3 Viewers)

I watched four games of him to check him out. And the Michigan State game from last year. He is a one read QB. He has good size. Good Delivery. Throws a good ball on roll outs and on the run. Above average athletism. If that 1st read aint there he tries to improvise or throws it anyway. He had more talent around him in 2018. More options for that check with me first read to be there. When gets pressure up the middle throws off his back foot and balls tend to sail on him. Quick to run laterally to the opposite side when feels edge pressure instead of stepping up. Overall in my opinion its a huge reach to draft him in the first round cause he needs alot of development and does not show alot of natural instincts with pocket presence and progressions. He has some good physical skills to work with and accuracy really dips if that firt read aint there. There is not a NFL throw he cant make and his release is top notch.

Last edited:
I've mentioned Gordon quite a bit on here. My
Gut tells me nobody cares about him here.
Some even say he was the best qb in the senior bowl game. As long as Burrow (deserved) , and other media favs get the attention, Gordon will be an afterthought here. Ashame, kid is really good.

Mike Leach QBs are instant red flags for me. His system masks a lot of deficiencies in quarterbacks. The system allows him to weaponize 2 and 3 star recruits who are guys who can throw an accurate pass over the middle and make more than one read, but don't have much ability beyond that. Leach himself has said they only run about 25 plays (obviously with variations, but still). So his QBs come into the pros well behind the 8 ball in terms of learning the pro game, and they're not that physically gifted.

FWIW I don't think Gardner Minshew is good at all and I think in a scenario where he's the full time starter and teams have game tape on his tendencies is going to end really badly for him. His ceiling is a middling backup QB.

Last edited:
I'm impressed with his accuracy.
This is one of the most overlooked aspects of today's NFL game.
You can win in the regular season with a running QB and average accuracy but in the playoffs you will get bounced early...

I don't agree with trading all of our young talent to get Burrows.
Love could sit behind Brees for a year or two and then be ready to take over when Drew calls it a career.
I agree on needing an accurate QB, which is why I’m not a fan of Love. His accuracy and decision making are his 2 biggest knocks

I watched four games of him to check him out. And the Michigan State game from last year. He is a one read QB. He has good size. Good Delivery. Throws a good ball on roll outs and on the run. Above average athletism. If that 1st read aint there he tries to improvise or throws it anyway. He had more talent around him in 2018. More options for that check with me first read to be there. When gets pressure up the middle throws off his back foot and balls tend to sail on him. Quick to run laterally to the opposite side when feels edge pressure instead of stepping up. Overall in my opinion its a huge reach to draft him in the first round cause he needs alot of development and does not show alot of natural instincts with pocket presence and progressions. He has some good physical skills to work with and accuracy really dips if that firt read aint there. There is not a NFL throw he cant make and his release is top notch.
Sorry...I watch his games and some videos and he looks way too skinny. His mechanics are off. He isn't accurate. He flicks the ball quite a lot. It will take a few years to develop him into a decent NFL quarterback. But I don't feel we have the time for that. I am passing on him.

I would take Love if he fell to the 3rd round. No way I take him at 24 unless he just blows Payton away. I like his athleticism and arm strength, but don’t think he has the field vision needed to excel at the next level. He kind of reminds me of Marcus Mariota, who I really liked coming out of Oregon, but has shown he is likely just back up material for the NFL.

watching highlights of him and I am uneasy about him even being drafted at all in the first 2 rounds. Most highlights I see is basically nothing hard, meaning he gets to the NFL, the plays he was making at Utah wont be there. His foot work looked pretty bad as well, looked more like Matt Schaub.

I always say we need to address the quarterback situation but if those two are the better ones out there, then I will have second thoughts about picking a quarterback this year.

Don't get down too much, there's always 1 or 2 good QB's that weren't on anyone's radar that excels in the Pros. We all know the names.

Utah State quarterback Jordan Love has entered the 2020 NFL draft. This draft report breaks down his background, performance and where he goes from here.
The college football enigma that is Jordan Love has declared for the 2020 NFL Draft. A relative unknown before 2018, Love has skyrocketed up the quarterback draft boards in the weeks since his draft announcement. While 2019 might have been a tough year for Love and the Utah State Aggies, Love has put enough on film the past two seasons to make football insiders excited at the prospect of Love entering the NFL.

The way it was explained to me was that Love looked a lot like Patrick Mahomes coming out of college. A player from a medium-sized football program, with obvious talent, who could throw the ball vertically down the field like an elite quarterback, with great accuracy, but who had less than ideal technique.

Nobody wants to admit they were one of the many people who slept on Mahomes coming out into the 2017 draft. Now people are falling over themselves to label Love as the next messiah for one of the NFL’s quarterback-needy teams.

But is all this hype legit? Does Love really have what it takes to be an elite quarterback in the NFL? What was so special about his 2018 season? What happened in 2019? If he was so great, why didn’t his skills carry into the next year? How did he end up at Utah State to begin with? Could Love really play at the same level as Mahomes or is he more likely to play like Jameis Winston: a high-flying vertical passing quarterback, with fatal flaws in his ability to read coverages?

His accuracy drops greatly with pressure and has a tendency to focus on one receiver. Does not process well regarding which receiver he should throw to. Has immense arm talent though. Good choice is Brees decides to move on, as this is a late first round choice.

His accuracy drops greatly with pressure and has a tendency to focus on one receiver. Does not process well regarding which receiver he should throw to. Has immense arm talent though. Good choice is Brees decides to move on, as this is a late first round choice.
With all that you just stated, you still think he is worth a late first rounder?

With all that you just stated, you still think he is worth a late first rounder?

That describes nearly every college QB outside of Burrow, who also struggled under pressure early in the championship game.

I'm not sure what you guys are expecting from a college prospect. Even then, I put near zero stock in these normally vague "scouting report" write-ups. I can link to reports that Michael Thomas was a bad route runner prior to us drafting. More often then not, these "reports" are just full of cliches based on watching a couple of highlights. Teams will do their due diligence and actually grade these prospects accordingly.

Last edited:
That describes nearly every college QB outside of Burrow, who also struggled under pressure early in the championship game.

I'm not sure what you guys are expecting from a college prospect.
And are you expecting us to just draft the guy in the first round knowing he has these problem?

And are you expecting us to just draft the guy in the first round knowing he has these problem?

1) I'm expecting us to not take some online "scouting report" as gospel and 2) I'm expecting us to understand that just about all college QBs are 1-2 read guys who don't do well under pressure and need further development.

Coach is currently talking about Taysom Hill being our starting QB, so obviously having a "perfect" prospect out of college is not a requirement.

Last edited:
Way I see it, how can we expect a college QB to do things that advanced when that isn't even required of them? In college, if you haven't found your receiver on the first or second read, if you're playing a halfway decent team and your team is friggin' Utah State, you probably should be taking off and getting what yards you can before you step out of bounds.

You got to talk to these kids and head how they respond to different challenges. We have no idea how they will respond. That's what the scouting process is all about and we are literally months away from when Payton will get one on one time with Love.

Love to me is a guy who ideally you would have sit for a year or so to learn the pro game, and iron out some mechanical issues with reps in practice with an established QB coach.

I just don't know that I'd take him at 24, if he falls to the 2nd sure I'd consider moving back up into the 2nd round to take him if he starts to fall back there. I personally would just want a little more of an impact player that can contribute this season in the 24 overall range for this Saints team.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom