QB Options: The Vet & The Rookie (1 Viewer)

Dleger

Elite Dimensions
Reaction score
The Bridge QB: I think that we can find a bridge QB who has a bit better upside that Andy Dalton. I know many other threads on the forum has mentioned a number of quarterbacks, but the options are quite limited, and no Derek Carr isn't it. We don't have capital or budget to afford him and once he enters free agency, there's no way he's headed to New Orleans. Now, keep in mind that there may be one free agent we may convince to sign with us. His name is Cooper Rush. I've watched him for a few seasons languishing behind Dax Prescott and I think he may be ready for a change of scenery and believe he could be someone that the Saints could rely upon until our next young QB is ready to take the reins. I really like what I see in him.

The Rookie QB: Jeffs Ireland specifically mentioned that he'd prefer our next. QB who has the ability to be a dual threat. Unfortunately, we're not in a position to draft one in the early rounds of the draft. Sometimes though, a team can find one in the later rounds of the draft. Again, it would help if we could find a bridge quarterback to get the draftee time to learn the offense before throwing him to the wolves. I think Dorian Trevor Thompson-Robinson might be the best late round option for us. Tell me if you agree with his potential to be the long-range answer we're looking for. His highlight film is below. Please keep in mind that we don't get to see too many West coast games.

It's really hard to tell. I saw a few games from DTR last year. He made some spectacular plays, but also misses easy reads sometimes. I think his greatest downside is that he is fearless. I know how that sounds. He has tendencies to make plays on his own, even if there are other options. That can break you in the NFL.
Otherwise ... I really thought that Hurts would be the bust of the year. I hadn't taken him higher than in the 3rd round. So what do I know ...

Rush is fool’s gold, yet likely won’t want to go somewhere where he knows he will be a bridge. He had a low on target rate of 67% this year (completion rate of 58%) and gets sacked 28% of the time when under pressure. In that highlight video, it looks like every throw but one was to his first read off his drop.

If we are committed to drafting a developmental dual threat QB, my vote for a bridge would be Jacoby Brissett. He has started 48 games in this league, and he has already shown a willingness to be a bridge in Cleveland. He only took a sack 19% of the time when under pressure last year, and he had a 76% on target throw rate (64% completion percentage). He embarrasses Rush on deep passing accuracy (48% versus 37%), and he had 49 rush attempts for 243 yards and 2 TD’s in 11 starts. Brissett could teach a young QB how to be a pro, and he can play well enough to start 17 games if needed.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom