QB stat comparison after 9 seasons, interesting result (1 Viewer)

Sacks aren't always an indication of a bad O-line. It has as much to do with the QB holding on to the ball too long. Drew was great at dumping the ball off, throwing it away, or scrambling for a few yards.

I'll admit, when talks first started about us going for Carr, I was hesitant. Mainly because I didn't want the Saints to overpay for him. But we got Carr at a really good salary. He's still in the middle of his career, and looking at those stats, he seems like a good fit.

Drew Brees made his O-Line seems heaps better than they actually were. Not saying they were bad but his decision making and quick release resulted in substantially fewer sacks taken. The line didn’t suddenly regress when Drew retired, he just wasn’t there to prop up their stats to a higher level.
This all day.
As to the OP, am hopeful that Carr will do well here.

Carr has also already played with 4 different Pro Bowl WRs in 9 seasons. Brees didn’t play with his first until he was about 17 seasons in.

I am not throwing the comp out of the window, but they’re very different players. I think Carr can be very good with New Orleans, but he won’t ever be Drew.

Carr has also already played with 4 different Pro Bowl WRs in 9 seasons. Brees didn’t play with his first until he was about 17 seasons in.

I am not throwing the comp out of the window, but they’re very different players. I think Carr can be very good with New Orleans, but he won’t ever be Drew.
Well said. Just as some here seem to think Drew was the goat, there’s another group here who seriously tears him down and tries to diminish him. Drew is a first ballot HOF’er who is also a top ten (imo) QB to ever play the game.

Derek Carr will not be either of those things. Carr will be a marked improvement tho over what we had last season, which is not hard to do. That bar was set very low.

Numbers are the completely wrong way to look at a Quarterback. The big issue I have with Carr that Brees blew him out of the water is 2 minute drills both at the end of halves and end of games. Carr is a master of throwing interceptions or going cold in the fourth quarter when you need him most. It's no mistake he is a loser for his career. Most top 15 or 20 QB's will have tremendous looking stats these days compared to greats.

Carr is no Brees. The best comparisons would be to Winston or Dalton, to show he is an upgrade over what we into last season with.

Numbers are the completely wrong way to look at a Quarterback. The big issue I have with Carr that Brees blew him out of the water is 2 minute drills both at the end of halves and end of games. Carr is a master of throwing interceptions or going cold in the fourth quarter when you need him most. It's no mistake he is a loser for his career. Most top 15 or 20 QB's will have tremendous looking stats these days compared to greats.
That's such a strange thing to knock Carr on. His game winning drive and 4th quarter comeback numbers are very good.

I'll admit, when talks first started about us going for Carr, I was hesitant. Mainly because I didn't want the Saints to overpay for him. But we got Carr at a really good salary. He's still in the middle of his career, and looking at those stats, he seems like a good fit.
That's pretty much where I am with Carr. He was a guy I respected playing for a franchise I didn't respect, so I always pulled for him, and he always let me down in little ways. Nothing big, nothing stupid, just enough bad breaks to lose when he should win.

I blame most sacks on the QB. Drew didn't take many sacks, but when he did he would coach the OL up and they would clean it up in the next game. I'm not sure that's Carr's strong suit.

The stats indicate Derek Carr do not have good protection but yet performed close to Drew's stats, what happens with our Offensive line.

Career Stats after 9th year:

CMP
ATT
PCT
ATT/G
YDS
AVG
YDS/G
TD
TD%
INT
INT%
LNG
SCK
SCKY
RTG
Drew Brees​
31​
122​
2697​
4164​
64.8​
34.6​
30464​
7.3​
252.0​
202​
4.5​
110​
2.4​
86​
159​
1165​
93.6​
Derek Carr​
32​
142​
3201​
4958​
64.6​
34.9​
35222​
7.1​
248​
217​
4.4​
99​
2​
87​
264​
1624​
91.8​

Derek was sacked 105 more times, threw for 4758 more yards with 11 less interceptions.

Source:
https://www.statmuse.com › nfl › player › drew-brees-2131 › career-stats
https://www.statmuse.com › nfl › player › derek-carr-23731 › career-stats
I think this proves out my theory…

Based on this, why is Drew a sure fire HOF and Carr isn’t?

I came to this conclusion with Dalton… it’s not what you do, it’s when you do it.

If a QB has 3 TDs and an interception, most would consider it a good game. But what if the 3 TD came in the firs 20 minutes of the game and the int came on the final drive down by 2… Both results have the same stat line/QBR…

To me, this is what happen to Dalton last year. His stats looked good but in the 4th when you needed him, you couldn’t get it.

I’m not saying Carr is Dalton, matter of fact, Carr has great 4th QTR stats (comeback wins I believe) I’m just saying overall stats can be misleading.

You can not compare players, but 9 years of data shows that he is a very good quarterback. The attempt is to show promise, I remember a certain quarterback by the name of Archie Manning, the problem was not the player but the organization and coaching. The Raiders have been a terrible organization over the last decade.
This...

DB = GOAT and it's not even close

However it DOES show DC has the ability to take this team on a playoff run

The stats indicate Derek Carr do not have good protection but yet performed close to Drew's stats, what happens with our Offensive line.

Career Stats after 9th year:

CMP
ATT
PCT
ATT/G
YDS
AVG
YDS/G
TD
TD%
INT
INT%
LNG
SCK
SCKY
RTG
Drew Brees​
31​
122​
2697​
4164​
64.8​
34.6​
30464​
7.3​
252.0​
202​
4.5​
110​
2.4​
86​
159​
1165​
93.6​
Derek Carr​
32​
142​
3201​
4958​
64.6​
34.9​
35222​
7.1​
248​
217​
4.4​
99​
2​
87​
264​
1624​
91.8​

Derek was sacked 105 more times, threw for 4758 more yards with 11 less interceptions.

Source:
https://www.statmuse.com › nfl › player › drew-brees-2131 › career-stats
https://www.statmuse.com › nfl › player › derek-carr-23731 › career-stats
Derek has played 20 more games up to this point, so the passing yards I would throw out. The big plus to me is the INT comparison. 20 more games with 11 fewer interceptions.

Derek has played 20 more games up to this point, so the passing yards I would throw out. The big plus to me is the INT comparison. 20 more games with 11 fewer interceptions.
That's because Drew played in a vertical offense while Carr has always been in a "WCO." What's usually ignored with this is the 4th year pivot.

GPCMPATTPCTATT/GYDSAVGYDS/GTDTD%INTINT%LNGSCKSCKYRTGGWD

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom