QB vacancies abound throughout the NFC South...What's your best guess? (1 Viewer)

SmallTownSaint

Practice Squad
Reaction score
In my opinion, none of the four teams in our division will be fielding the same QB that they began or finished the season with. I expect off-season trades and draft day action to be focused on all the South teams trying to improve at their most important position. I also suspect that demand will definitely inflate the asking price for veterans like Carr, Jackson, and Rogers (if he switches teams), and the teams with the higher draft choices will be very active on Day One. I also expect that the team that does the best job on acquiring a quality QB will have the inside track next season in the NFCS.

In my opinion, none of the four teams in our division will be fielding the same QB that they began or finished the season with. I expect off-season trades and draft day action to be focused on all the South teams trying to improve at their most important position. I also suspect that demand will definitely inflate the asking price for veterans like Carr, Jackson, and Rogers (if he switches teams), and the teams with the higher draft choices will be very active on Day One. I also expect that the team that does the best job on acquiring a quality QB will have the inside track next season in the NFCS.
Quality quarterbacking is normally the result of quality coaching, so my guess is whoever goes to...smh....Carolina will have the best chance to succeed.

I think the Falcons could certainly continue to roll with Ridder. He showed some signs of having the tools in his starts, and they may want to continue to see how that plays out. Unfortunately, I see us as the second most likely to be in that boat, with a potential 1-2 year deal for Dalton to come back as a caretaker. I just don't have a vision of what direction we're going yet.

I can see Atlanta and Tampa going with affordable veteran signings and giving Ridder and Trask the opportunity to take over as starters. Saints and Panthers should both be looking to make a significant upgrade. Panthers have the 9th overall pick and two 2nd round picks so they might be able to put something together (incl picks next year) to move up in the draft if they have somebody targeted. Both Carolina and New Orleans could be attractive landing spots for Carr because the division is wide open.

I have a bad feeling Atlanta goes all-in on Lamar.

Carolina goes with a draft pick with Darnold as the bridge.

Could also see Tampa making a run at a Lamar or competing with us for guys like Carr.

I think we’ll try to make a push for all the top guys. and Loomis and Harley can make some space. But like with Watson, there will be a certain point where we won’t go and a team like Atlanta may be willing to go there.

Last edited:
I have a bad feeling Atlanta goes all-in on Lamar.

Carolina goes with a draft pick with Darnold as the bridge.

Could also see Tampa making a run at a Lamar or competing with us for guys like Carr.

Tampa took Trask in the 2nd round. Is there already a feeling that he’s not the guy or not yet ready? (I’m indifferent about him, fwiw)

Tampa took Trask in the 2nd round. Is there already a feeling that he’s not the guy or not yet ready? (I’m indifferent about him, fwiw)
That’s a good point. I honestly haven’t dug deep enough into their situation so you might be right on that. And I guess he was in a different spot than Ridder since they had Brady. So you can understand more why he didn’t get PT

Trask sucks. He won’t be a barrier to the Bucs upgrading. I don’t think that there is a current starter in the division that is safe

Trask sucks. He won’t be a barrier to the Bucs upgrading. I don’t think that there is a current starter in the division that is safe

I’m not looking at it as he’s safe, but whether he’ll get a chance - or has done anything to indicate he should get that chance. So the indications out of Tampa are that they already feel like he’s not in consideration for the future? I’m asking because I don’t know.

I’m not looking at it as he’s safe, but whether he’ll get a chance - or has done anything to indicate he should get that chance. So the indications out of Tampa are that they already feel like he’s not in consideration for the future? I’m asking because I don’t know.
I lived in FL and have lots of friends that are Bucs fans…and they think he’s trash and their season is doomed if he’s the starter

I lived in FL and have lots of friends that are Bucs fans…and they think he’s trash and their season is doomed if he’s the starter

Well let’s hope he’s the starter then!

I don’t plan to do a deep dive on this but skimming through some articles, Bowles indicates some support and optimism about him, but it easily could all be coachspeak.

Fans are notoriously fickle and reactionary, but it suits me if Trask ends up being a 2nd round bust.

I haven't seen enough of Trask as a pro to say he's "trash" (I was never a fan of that term anyway). Nor has anyone else frankly. Do I think he's the long-term answer for the Bucs? No.

Someone else here said, given the sorry state of our division, including its QBs, that coaching will make the difference in the NFCS. In which case, unfortunately I have to give the edge to Carolina.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom