QB vacancies abound throughout the NFC South...What's your best guess? (1 Viewer)

Right now, Godwin and Evans together are $46M cap hits. Sure, they could restructure but I would think Tampa would want a vet QB to throw to those receivers.
Jets may be more desperate for Garoppolo than Tampa if NYJ doesn’t land Carr. I can see Heinicke coming to Tampa on a cheaper short deal, while they still take a QB to sit a couple seasons.

Saints: Carr + Hooker in the 2nd round
Falcons: Ridder + veteran FA or mid round rookie
Panthers: CJ Stroud
Buccaneers: Anthony Richardson

If we sign Carr we will not be drafting a QB this year.

Carr
Dalton
Luton

So true.

I tend to think the Saints are gonna be really aggressive at QB, given how hard they pursued Watson. I’m sure they’ll pursue Lamar now that they have two firsts. I also think, if DA thinks highly of Carr, they’ll move around some money to make him a significant offer.
Unfortunately, I think we are going to go all in on Derek Carr. It isn't the worst move but if you look at the numbers he is worse than what we are currently getting out of our QB's past 2 seasons. Now, with that being said he's an upgrade because he is not as careless as Winston nor as conservative as Dalton. He is capable of making plays and leading game winning drives. Right now we don't have someone that can pull thru in the crunch because it would either be 3 big shot plays and a 4th down from Winston or dink and dunk with Andy. Carr would open more of the playbook.

The problem is what do we have to give up to get him and who is going to coach him? His cap hit is in the 32-33 million dollar range and his play is only slightly better than Cousins. Its an upgrade but it will come at a significant cost via trade then finding a way to pay the contract. What it would do is give us the best QB in a putrid division. We could become the NFC South's version of say the Titans in the AFC South. We rack up division titles and go one and done in the playoffs.

At this point I am kind of talking myself into this.

In my opinion, none of the four teams in our division will be fielding the same QB that they began or finished the season with. I expect off-season trades and draft day action to be focused on all the South teams trying to improve at their most important position. I also suspect that demand will definitely inflate the asking price for veterans like Carr, Jackson, and Rogers (if he switches teams), and the teams with the higher draft choices will be very active on Day One. I also expect that the team that does the best job on acquiring a quality QB will have the inside track next season in the NFCS.
Ridder will 100% start for the falcons

Unfortunately, I think we are going to go all in on Derek Carr. It isn't the worst move but if you look at the numbers he is worse than what we are currently getting out of our QB's past 2 seasons. Now, with that being said he's an upgrade because he is not as careless as Winston nor as conservative as Dalton. He is capable of making plays and leading game winning drives. Right now we don't have someone that can pull thru in the crunch because it would either be 3 big shot plays and a 4th down from Winston or dink and dunk with Andy. Carr would open more of the playbook.

The problem is what do we have to give up to get him and who is going to coach him? His cap hit is in the 32-33 million dollar range and his play is only slightly better than Cousins. Its an upgrade but it will come at a significant cost via trade then finding a way to pay the contract. What it would do is give us the best QB in a putrid division. We could become the NFC South's version of say the Titans in the AFC South. We rack up division titles and go one and done in the playoffs.

At this point I am kind of talking myself into this.
I don't think Carr is getting traded. His contract is going to make it difficult to handle. I think he gets cut. Most of the talking heads seem to think so, too.

I don't think Carr is getting traded. His contract is going to make it difficult to handle. I think he gets cut. Most of the talking heads seem to think so, too.
If he is cut then without question make the move. It's an upgrade then use your picks to reload at WR and RB. We are a ways away from being able to truly contend but this would make us back into a playoff caliber team even with DA coaching us.

I can see Atlanta and Tampa going with affordable veteran signings and giving Ridder and Trask the opportunity to take over as starters. Saints and Panthers should both be looking to make a significant upgrade. Panthers have the 9th overall pick and two 2nd round picks so they might be able to put something together (incl picks next year) to move up in the draft if they have somebody targeted. Both Carolina and New Orleans could be attractive landing spots for Carr because the division is wide open.
If I was Carr and had to choose a NFL South team I’m going to Tampa. Great WR core.

Hmmmm. Winston still lives in Tampa, is still active in the community, and incredibly well-liked by the Bucs players who were there with him, including Evans & Godwin.

Of course, Winston's popularity and personality were never an issue, it was his propensity to throw the ball to the other team, and more importantly, his absolute inability to read a fracking defense that made him so infuriating. Payton may have been able to design a scheme to minimize the former, but as to the latter, he's a lost cause. Pass. (no pun intended)
Without a doubt that is the worst thing about him as a player. Defensive players oftentimes are doing almost everything except standing there with a sign that reads "I am blitzing" to postmark what they are doing and he won't send guys in motion to either confirm it or make any effort to avoid it. He oftentimes rolls out right into it. Since he left your team he has gotten substantially better at recognizing pass coverage schemes and can identify holes/soft spots in zone coverages, at least to the point he isn't throwing it right to linebackers/safeties in coverage anymore, this also could just be a byproduct of he actually has working eyes now thanks so LASIK.

Flaws and all he would be serviceable if he just worked on getting the ball out quicker. That to me is more infuriating than the diagnosis stuff. I never could tell if he was just waiting for something to open up or he just couldn't get his mind made up on where to go. I really wanted him to work here because he has such a likable personality but once Payton left there was no hope for him. The injuries were just the nail in the coffin he was dead already, not to mention I think our coaching staff just didn't believe in him anymore.

Flaws and all he would be serviceable if he just worked on getting the ball out quicker. That to me is more infuriating than the diagnosis stuff. I never could tell if he was just waiting for something to open up or he just couldn't get his mind made up on where to go. I really wanted him to work here because he has such a likable personality but once Payton left there was no hope for him. The injuries were just the nail in the coffin he was dead already,
He primarily read top down, which the majority of the league doesn't don't do, as it is primarily a short throw league. It's been so long since we've actually seen someone with a Saints uniform scan the field in the same manner.

not to mention I think our coaching staff just didn't believe in him anymore.
And after this season, we have zero reason to believe in them.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom