QBs Who Can Drive The Ball (1 Viewer)

Dleger

Elite Dimensions
Reaction score
Hey folks. I wanted to start a discussion on a quarterback’s ability to strong arm a throw. One of the best to do it was Brett Farve. There was even a time a few years ago where Drew had an ability to do it, to a certain extent.

Now that Jameis Winston is on board, I decided to take a look at his highlights, most of which resulted in a touchdown or interception. However, I’m unable to find any of his passes where he really muscled-up on a pass. Does a solid offensive line play a part in his ability to stand tall and drive the ball? I’m not saying he can’t throw deep, but how important is it to really drive a throw and does it have any bearing on a QB’s success? Your feedback would be welcomed.

Hey folks. I wanted to start a discussion on a quarterback’s ability to strong arm a throw. One of the best to do it was Brett Farve. There was even a time a few years ago where Drew had an ability to do it, to a certain extent.

Now that Jameis Winston is on board, I decided to take a look at his highlights, most of which resulted in a touchdown or interception. However, I’m unable to find any of his passes where he really muscled-up on a pass. Does a solid offensive line play a part in his ability to stand tall and drive the ball? I’m not saying he can’t throw deep, but how important is it to really drive a throw and does it have any bearing on a QB’s success? Your feedback would be welcomed.

In the last 5 seasons Winston was sacked 170 times while Brees was sacked 107 times...………….so Winston hasn't yet and may never take a snap with the Saints but he's already got the best Oline he's ever had.

I think that has something to do with it.

Russell Wilson and Kyler Murray both have canons. Neither are big guys, but they have super live arms.

Watson has a strong arm as well, but Murray has him beat IMO.

Here you go:

I'm can't help but think waaay back to Bobby Douglass. One of his teammates said that, "he could throw the ball right through a boxcar . . . if he could hit the boxcar." Douglass made a career throwing for Chicago, and running a lot too, before playing for the Saints in 1976 and 1977. He actually had an above 50% completion percentage (!) for the only time of his career in 1977 (51.6). His career percentage was 43.0. Super strong arm though.

Russell Wilson and Kyler Murray both have canons. Neither are big guys, but they have super live arms.

Watson has a strong arm as well, but Murray has him beat IMO.
Actually, the knock on Watson coming out was the velocity of his passes. People thought it was too low for him to be successful. Shows that sometimes certain things are overanalyzed.

Interesting accumulation of velocity data-

When the Saints draft Trey Lance next year, we won't have to worry about the QB's arm strength for a while. I'd bet Taysom Hill has a poster of Trey Lance on his wall at home. The kid can ball.

Winston has a pretty strong arm, slightly above average for NFL QB'a. Nothing close to Josh Allen or Mahomes, but a strong arm nonetheless. He has an accuracy problem, I don't know if it's mechanics, brain wiring, or his WR's are unpredictable.

When the Saints draft Trey Lance next year, we won't have to worry about the QB's arm strength for a while. I'd bet Taysom Hill has a poster of Trey Lance on his wall at home. The kid can ball.

I saw this kid play live and in person. He's the real deal!

I saw this kid play live and in person. He's the real deal!

For the last several years, people have been talking about drafting one QB or another in the first round to replace Brees. Lance is the first one I could really get behind taking early if the Hill/Winston experiments don't look like solutions. He just has "it."

I'll be honest... I have no idea why we signed Winston... There are tons of guys that can sling it in the NFL... Only the ones with anticipation, accuracy, or the ability to extend (or a combo) tend to make it.

Winston has none of that...

He's had some bad lines... So has Aaron Rodgers and Russel Wilson... Some guys take sacks or run to prevent turnovers... Some guys trow it up for grabs... I already know which one Winston is....

I hope he never sees the field in a Saints uniform, and if he does... I hope I am dead wrong about him.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom