Qtrax: new free, legal music downloads! Supported by advertising... (1 Viewer)

SaintRob

"Saint Exotic"
Reaction score
Well, we'll see, I guess. Sounds pretty cool on the surface.

---------------------

From today, feel free to download another 25 million songs - legally

Adam Sherwin, Media Correspondent, in Cannes

<!-- END: Module - M24 Article Headline with no image --><!-- Article Copy module --><!-- BEGIN: Module - Main Article --><!-- Check the Article Type and display accordingly--><!-- Print Author image associated with the Author--><!-- Print the body of the article--><!-- Pagination --> After a decade fighting to stop illegal file-sharing, the music industry will give fans today what they have always wanted: an unlimited supply of free and legal songs.

With CD sales in free fall and legal downloads yet to fill the gap, the music industry has reluctantly embraced the file-sharing technology that threatened to destroy it. Qtrax, a digital service announced today, promises a catalogue of more than 25 million songs that users can download to keep, free and with no limit on the number of tracks.

The service has been endorsed by the very same record companies - including EMI, Universal Music and Warner Music – that have chased file-sharers through the courts in a doomed attempt to prevent piracy. The gamble is that fans will put up with a limited amount of advertising around the Qtrax website’s jukebox in return for authorised use of almost every song available.

More: http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/tol/arts_and_entertainment/music/article3261591.ece

Qtrax website: http://www.qtrax.com

If you want to watch commercials everytime you download go ahead. I'd rather just listen to music. Apparently you have to watch a commercial EVERYTIME you download a song. Also they don't allow you to burn CDs with the music you've downloaded. I'd rather own it outright and be able to transfer to another computer or ipod or burn cds.

The key will also be implementation. There have been a lot of itunes wannabes that are gone now because the ease of use wasn't there.

We'll see how this goes. But I just don't like injecting ads into my music or movies. It seems like a backward step.

The major labels are now saying they have made no deal and Qtrax is not authorized to distribute their music.

http://www.nma.co.uk/Articles/36621/Major+record+labels+to+sign+download+deal.html

I had put in a buy option on this stock last night but as of this morning rumor was that they ran into some troubles during launch and I canceled it. 15 minutes after the market opens they suddenly fix their problems and the stock launched after heavy inside buying and it took off. NOw the stock is way back down. I should have left my buy and sell in place or I would have made 33%. :mad:

Now I don't know what is going on. I have read about problems and I have read they are getting contracts to all the big boys. Too risky now.

As for the service itself, no thanks, I hate getting bombarded with ads.

I thought they had an invention that did this over 100 year ago...I think it was called "radio".

Advertising for free music. Brilliant!!

Supposedly it will be available after midnight, not sure what timezone. I tried to pick up this stock right at close when I found out the real launch will be tonight but couldn't get it in before close. I have a order in for the morning. For those that don't know this stock is running at $.05 a share with a monster upside. I am picking up some 10k shares just to see what happens. Call it a $500 lottery ticket.

Last edited:
what is the damn stock symbol???

EDIT
ok i bought 20k shares of this stuff...
lets hope it pops...
i hate the stock market but this has got to move at least a few points...

Last edited:
Blln

Edit: Oh it's going to move. Question is if they do in fact get the contract and approval of the major record labels. I think I am just going to play it long in hopes it is like getting on the bottom floor of youtube or myspace. In fact, if this catches on I could certainly see google scooping it up and offering the download as part of the google pack (I can dream).

Last edited:
well, i plan to slowly sell it off to get my cash back and whatever is left, i will let sit...

I have had a couple PM's about this stock. Let me say that I am no pro in the stock market. Just today I managed to buy three gold mining stocks today that lost money on the same day gold set a new all time high.:mad:

This is a risky investment. There is a good chance it will soar to the moon and there is a good chance it will flame out and not a big chance of it sitting in the middle. Do what you want to do.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom