Question about any NFL Appeal of Arbitrator's Watson Ruling (1 Viewer)

Yeah it doesn't make much sense. Why would the NFLPA agree to having an arbitration process that Goodell can simply overturn? I swear it's like a Jedi mind trick or something. "So you don't want me to have the final say on punishments? Okay well how about this, we bring in a neutral third party to act as an arbitrator and decide the appropriate punishment. Then I'll look at it and decide whether or not they got it right and make changes as needed. Sounds fair right? Alright I'm glad we figured that out, sign here."

The NFL always has the NFLPA chasing its own tail about things that don't matter as much. While the NFLPA is worried about practice time and weed tests Goodell somehow manages to keep the final say on punishments.

I think Watson deserves more than 6 games but if you set up an arbitration process that can be completely dismissed then why have it at all? Why not have another neutral third party hear the appeal?
It's a joke and his response is based on the court of public opinion. I know people like to talk about how popular the NFL is but it consistently has the weakest union of the three major sports. I'm not interested in a moral discussion but if Kraft faced no penalty, then Watson should not be out for a year without a criminal conviction. One owner is basically pimping cheerleaders and a culture of harassment but they need to make a point with Watson.

But what's the difference between 6 and 17 games, really? Because of the ridiculous contract structure, it's a question of, what, 1 or 3 million out of his $230M guaranteed contract? Boo hoo.

It doesn't matter much to how much regular-season salary Watson loses. But it matters greatly to how much he can contribute to the Browns this year, to the Browns, to Watson playing in the playoffs, and to how the public views what Watson did.

And I am wondering whether the way Watson's 2022 salary is structured can be used to justify a suspension of a greater number of games.

The below video is the best take I've found on this whole Watson situation.

How do you suspend Watson for more games for doing what he did, as he doesn't even seem to be looking at criminal punishment, as other violent criminal NFL offenders only had six games? It seems the judge did what judges do and used precedent to make Watson's punishment somewhat in line with punishments past.

If there's an "independent" judge the NFL and NFLPA agreed upon, the decision should be accepted. If Goodell steps in and is the judge of an appeal, there is as little credibility in NFL punishments as we suspected.

Last edited:
In my opinion... All suspension should be decided by a 3rd party judge.

All NFL is doing to save face for PR. The appeal will fail.

What should have happened with Watson, he should have become persona non grata in the NFL, like happened to Kaepernick. Only difference is Watson should be shunned for good reason. Of course it helps him that he's way more talented.

I don't understand, from the perspective of a Watson teammate, how do you respect him as your quarterback when you know he's been forcing his erections upon unsuspecting women?

It doesn't matter much to how much regular-season salary Watson loses.
I think it does matter. How much is a suspension really worth if there's no real monetary hit to the player? It's a freaking vacation. Maybe Roger will fine the guy 1\5 of his 5 year contract.

Now, as to the Browns trading for this dirt bag knowing he'd be suspended and then giving him a salary structure to help him avoid monetary punishment, THEY deserve a longer suspension.

I’m not confused at all. Despite my bring very upset at the leniency of Watson’s punishment, this is Goodell’s NFL. Roger is gonna Roger. He has a long history of backhanded, slimy business.
It is the owner’s NFL. Goodell was appointed the commisioner. He is really the COO, who reports to 32 CEO’s.

In my opinion... All suspension should be decided by a 3rd party judge.

All NFL is doing to save face for PR. The appeal will fail.
The appeal will not fail necessarily, depending on the final punishment intended.

It is the owner’s NFL. Goodell was appointed the commisioner. He is really the COO, who reports to 32 CEO’s.
Absolutely. But he's still a slimy dude doing slimy business.
Do I think Watson deserves a harsher punishment? Absolutely. But I also fell that overstepping the independent arbitrator, putting the case back in Goodell's hands is asinine. It completely undermines the reason for having an independent arbitrator to begin with.

I feel like the six games are enough. It makes no sense to increase the punishment. This is more about protecting the brand.

how the public views what Watson did.
Once Watson is suited up, the public is not going to care. He's a creep for sure, but he did not rape, and he settled almost all the cases. Football is an escape and obsession for most and thus watching the game is far more valued by the public than judgement of his off-field conduct.

He's rich and famous so his odds of not being punished the way we would be are very high.

He also has to answer to the players' union, though maybe not quite so directly.

I think the NFL/Goodell/owners put themselves in a really awkward position here -- clearly Watson deserves a larger punishment, but you just appointed a third party judge who every one agreed upon and this is her first high profile ruling -- you're really just going to dismiss her judgment in favor of public opinion?

It's lose-lose for the NFL pretty much, which I like to see as it further tarnishes the trust fans and the media have in Goodell in deciding player/team punishment.

Once Watson is suited up, the public is not going to care. He's a creep for sure, but he did not rape, and he settled almost all the cases. Football is an escape and obsession for most and thus watching the game is far more valued by the public than judgement of his off-field conduct.

He's rich and famous so his odds of not being punished the way we would be are very high.

Right, and if you kneel during the anthem out of a sincere belief and you are the image of that protest, there is no such forgiveness, no escape, at least when you don't have so much talent. Pretty sad I guess what people are willing to forgive or look over and what they hold against others.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom