question about cameras in the dome (1 Viewer)

BCSaint

All-Pro
Reaction score
The Superdome policy states that no digital cameras or video cameras are allowed during games. Does anyone know how strict they are about that policy or have any suggestions to get around it? I was hoping to get some shots of inside the dome itself as much as any game photos.

Thanks.

You can take pictures before the game for sure. It's just pictures/videos of the game and players that gets the NFL's panties in a bunch. That's why Dubya doesn't take any more pics at the games.

So does that mean you can actually take a camera into the Dome but have to stop using it once the game starts? Doesn't make sense unless they have staff that will check on patrons during game time.

Never had a problem

Cops dont care and security is...well, most of the time just standing around

I have a regular digital camera and have not had any problems in the past. I took pics all through the game and after with no problems.

So I take it that they allow cameras that take single pics but nothing that is capable of video recording such as a digital camera?

I don't know about the Dome, but when I saw the pre-season game last year in AZ, I took my entire camera bag, complete with multiple lenses and whatnot. They searched it for whatever, and then let me right through.

So does that mean you can actually take a camera into the Dome but have to stop using it once the game starts? Doesn't make sense unless they have staff that will check on patrons during game time.

There's literally no reasonable way to enforce that. I've never had a problem. I just put my camera in my hand when I get patted down and that's that. Dome Security isn't exactly....thorough.

as long as you dont show with one of the cameras like the news crew uses. I don't think it will be a problem. I bring my digital camera to every game. I haven't had any issues.

Ok, here's my take on it. Cameras are allowed in the Dome, but there is a ban on "professional lenses". A professional lens (according to the Dome) is anything 6 inches or longer. However, it is unclear and varies from gate to gate as to whether a lens which telescopes out beyond 6 inches breaks the rule. Also, some gates seem to think that if the camera plus the lens exceeds 6 inches, that is not allowed. Having said all that, I never had any trouble walking into a game with a camera slung over my shoulder. At times, it was slung over my shoulder against my back and they never even noticed it in a pat down. (Note: Policies differ from stadium to stadium. Atlanta does not even allow a camera with a detachable lens.)

I never had anyone say anything to me during a game while taking pictures although I know some have, especially if they had a larger lens. Here again, enforcement and understanding of the rules is not uniform in the dome. It seems that some enjoy their authority more than others. If you are challenged, you probably will not be talking to the guy who graduated first in his class. Keep that in mind.

As for my dispute with the NFL. It never had anything to do with any pictures from the games which I posted on SaintsReport. Instead, after having posted them for all to see (and copy), they were under the impression that I was trying to sell them on a photography site I once had. About 10 of the pictures were on my site with many others. I finally convinced the NFL that the pictures were not for sale nor had I ever offered any for sale.

The reason I no longer post pictures here is I felt a little burned by the NFL after being falsely accused of selling pictures that I once posted here for free. At least one member of the Saints organization was aware of that accusation and nothing was said in my defense. I don't care to be falsely accused of something again or do anything to risk my season tickets. If the Saints would like for me to post pictures here, I'll gladly do it for all the fans to see.

Hope this helps and clears a few things up.

Go Saints.

I was checked at the door for my SLR at the game before last. I have a teloscoping lens that is about 6" long and they set it down on a table that had a drawing of a camera with a line at the edge of the camera and another 6" away that measure the length of the lens. my camera just passed the test but just. I guess I could take off the rubber glare blocker which would of given me another - 1/4"

this lens took very good pictures from the upper box section 1st row. I would bring it again but I found it in the way of watching the game.

Thanks for all the responses. My buddy lent me a little hand held Xacti 8 MP digital movie camera which he bought somewhere near Thailand last year. It's not much bigger than my Canon PowerShot SD870 IS so I think I'll chance taking it in with me.

I am really sorry you were put through all that. It is a shame it happened and I hope it doesn't put you off.

Ok, here's my take on it. Cameras are allowed in the Dome, but there is a ban on "professional lenses". A professional lens (according to the Dome) is anything 6 inches or longer. However, it is unclear and varies from gate to gate as to whether a lens which telescopes out beyond 6 inches breaks the rule. Also, some gates seem to think that if the camera plus the lens exceeds 6 inches, that is not allowed. Having said all that, I never had any trouble walking into a game with a camera slung over my shoulder. At times, it was slung over my shoulder against my back and they never even noticed it in a pat down. (Note: Policies differ from stadium to stadium. Atlanta does not even allow a camera with a detachable lens.)

I never had anyone say anything to me during a game while taking pictures although I know some have, especially if they had a larger lens. Here again, enforcement and understanding of the rules is not uniform in the dome. It seems that some enjoy their authority more than others. If you are challenged, you probably will not be talking to the guy who graduated first in his class. Keep that in mind.

As for my dispute with the NFL. It never had anything to do with any pictures from the games which I posted on SaintsReport. Instead, after having posted them for all to see (and copy), they were under the impression that I was trying to sell them on a photography site I once had. About 10 of the pictures were on my site with many others. I finally convinced the NFL that the pictures were not for sale nor had I ever offered any for sale.

The reason I no longer post pictures here is I felt a little burned by the NFL after being falsely accused of selling pictures that I once posted here for free. At least one member of the Saints organization was aware of that accusation and nothing was said in my defense. I don't care to be falsely accused of something again or do anything to risk my season tickets. If the Saints would like for me to post pictures here, I'll gladly do it for all the fans to see.

Hope this helps and clears a few things up.

Go Saints.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom