Question about Cheating in Football (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
The whole "Bilacheat" thing got me thinking....... (naaaa, dont worry; it's not about politics..... ha ha...).. Anyway, here's the question:

You know how the QB's receive their play calls thru the headsets in helmets; What is stopping somone telling the QB which receiver is open durring a play? Or another example is what if the QB is about to get sacked from his blind side, and someone warning him about it thru his headset.

I think at one time I heard someone say that the NFL somehow cuts off the radio communications to all headsets at the start of each play, but in all honesty I would think that with the technology we have today, it would be very easy to get around those types of obsticles.....

It shuts off when the playclock reaches a certain time. Somewhere between 10 to 15 seconds presumably. I think communicating with a QB at the line of scrimmage is legal however.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=sando_mike&id=3035449

The NFL's 40-second play clock is ticking. The quarterback crouches under center and surveys the defense. Offensive coaches study the defensive signals sent in from the opposing team's sideline, sensing a blitz is coming. With only 15 seconds remaining, a problem arises. The coach-to-quarterback radio shuts off. There's not enough time to give the quarterback a full accounting of the opponent's plans. The quarterback flies solo during those critical final seconds before the snap.

Yeah, but I can think of literally a dozen ways to go around that... Especially thinking what Belicheat had to do / go thru to cooridinate the type of cheating that he did..

If you watched the Chargers and Colts game, the NFL clearly wanted Manning and the Colts to play in New England. That was the worst officiating I've ever seen. And I'm a thirty year Saints fan.

Yeah, but I can think of literally a dozen ways to go around that... Especially thinking what Belicheat had to do / go thru to cooridinate the type of cheating that he did..

There was no coordination going on with the Pats, they were simply filming signals and trying to piece them together later with the film. It's not rocket science, and it wasn't some crazy coordinated system that instantaneously (if ever) gave results.

It would take too much time and effort to sneak something like that by the NFL.

The QB can still get signals from the sidelines though. Look at the recent influx of college teams using the entire clock and receiving signals at the last second to make adjustments according to the defensive set.

Yeah it was so coordinated:

Bill: "I know, let's put a guy on the sidelines in plain view to tape from a different angle"

Staff: "This guys a freakin genius!!"

Peyton Manning himself said in an SI interview over the summer "I know that New England and Denver film my signals when I'm up there."

The Colts have a guy on their staff that Jimmy Johnson called "the best in the business at stealing signals."

It isn't rocket science.

well i never thought about that but i dunno if yall rem the pats playing earlier this year, i think it was pats vs giants (dont know for sure) but brady was about to get sacked on his blind side the defender had his hand almost on bradys shoulder and brady ducked (without looking on his blind side at all) and that guy missed the sack and brady threw the ball. now im not saying they were talking on his headset telling him that or nothing but it was amazing how he missed that sack. the announcers were going nuts with it.

Yeah, I definately remember that play too..... It was really weird seeing that..... Im not saying that the Pats are still cheating, Im just using them as an "what if" example, thats all..... Just basically saying that if there is cheating going on in the NFL, the headsets IMHO are probably one of the easiest methods I can think of to pull something off.

well i never thought about that but i dunno if yall rem the pats playing earlier this year, i think it was pats vs giants (dont know for sure) but brady was about to get sacked on his blind side the defender had his hand almost on bradys shoulder and brady ducked (without looking on his blind side at all) and that guy missed the sack and brady threw the ball. now im not saying they were talking on his headset telling him that or nothing but it was amazing how he missed that sack. the announcers were going nuts with it.

Pocket presence? :shrug:

I wonder if one of the O-lineman yelled "watch out!"

Man, what a bunch of cheaters.

/sarcasm

:hihi:
How many times have we seen our own Drew Brees look like he was doomed from the start of a play, only to slide out of the way, and complete a pass? Some QBs make it look prettier than others, but the best in the game have serious pocket presence. Brady, Manning, Brees.... all have a knack for avoiding sacks. Granted, the O-line has a lot to do with it, but these guys can often "feel" the pressure, even from their blind sides.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom