Question about MLBs and their affect on others? (1 Viewer)

panamajackster

Sackalicious
Reaction score
Can a good MLB affect the play of the outside linebackers? Is it possible the Saints FO thinks the play of Vilma will help Shanle become a more productive player. Maybe this can be a reason for our non-interest in signing Briggs and other WLBs. I have no idea but would like others insight and information.

Every position effects other positions on the field. It seems like a fair statement, but it's not like we've seen flashes of Shanle being a dominant player. However, Urlacher and Briggs might be a good example of how it can work.

Since it is the MLB responsibility to correctly identify the offense's formations and what adjustments the entire defense needs to make, I'd say that upgrading that position can have a major impact on the performance of the rest of the D#.

Can a good MLB affect the play of the outside linebackers? Is it possible the Saints FO thinks the play of Vilma will help Shanle become a more productive player. Maybe this can be a reason for our non-interest in signing Briggs and other WLBs. I have no idea but would like others insight and information.

You need players at OLB that can hold the outside contain, take on a G or occasional FB. This forces RBs to stay inside the numbers, where your MLB can become more effective. Vilma is known as a strong, sure tackler and a guy that plays sideline to sideline. He may not be as fast as he was due to the injury but if he is still as strong, he will make the plays Simoneau just cant make. Vilma's presence will also allow the OLBs to make plays when he is engaging the FB. Teams will have to go away from Vilma which will present the opportunity for the OLBs to make plays. Shanle is a sound player, just not a marquee guy.

With that being said, if we stay put at #10 at this point I'd go Keith Rivers at WLB. You get the same type player as Briggs at a cheaper price.

Yes.

A good MLB means the other positions don't have to just watch the run, but can look for the pass, too.

The DL will be more able to go after the QB. The other OLBs will be able to blitz more. The Safetys will be able to watch the pass more instead of always run stopping so we won't get burnt as much.

I still hope we look at getting two of either a WLB/DT (3-tech)/CB so that the effect can be more wide spread, but Vilma over Simoneau will improve everyone.

Sam Mills. Dome Patrol. Mike Singletary. SB Bears. Urlacher, Thomas, still active. All great tacklers etc. Most importantly tho, they all are/were very football intelligent players. MLB imo is the core of any good D. He's the QB of the D. Our OLBs will benefit greatly if Vilma not only plays as expected, but also LEADS as one should expect. Defensive audibles are becoming more and more necessary as Os look to open up. No huddle etc. Vilma needs to be ready to make those calls.

I think the presence of Vilma will allow us to send Shanle to the sideline when we go to our nickel defense. That alone will improve the defense as a whole. Also, I woulnd't be surprised if Simoneau was retained to battle Shanle for the weakside spot.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom