Question about pushing forward (2 Viewers)

They actually did start giving some of the land
The area was called Shermanville
When Lincoln was assassinated and Johnson took over he was all like **** that noise
And the some of the same soldiers that moved the freed people onto the land hadvto come back and move them off

Actually, she wondered if it was because Lincoln was assassinated that turned the grants around. She wasn't far off. I had never made the connection, but she did. Ugh. My history is trash. Gotta learn it all over again.

I guess I'll put this here
==========================

A century ago, a Black couple owned a beach resort in Manhattan Beach -- a Southern California town known for its scenic expanse. An inviting soulful energy and the songs of Black entertainers radiated throughout the corridors of the dance hall and lodge.

But the music and good times would not last due to the strict racial segregation that dominated American life then. Harassment from White neighbors and the Ku Klux Klan tore away at the dreams of owners Charles and Willa Bruce.

The final blow came in 1924 when the city took the property through eminent domain and paid the couple a fraction of what they asked for. The city wanted the land for a park. The Bruces left and died just five years later.

Now, there's a move afoot to provide justice to their descendants. Los Angeles County officials on Friday said they are working with state lawmakers on legislation that would return the property -- worth perhaps $75 million -- to the family.

"The Bruces had their California dream stolen from them," said county Supervisor Janice Hahn. "Generations of their descendants ... almost certainly would have been millionaires if they had been able to keep their property and their successful business."..............

A Black family's Manhattan Beach property was taken during the Jim Crow era. The county is now giving it back, and it's worth millions (msn.com)

tangential to this is the 'fact' that in the new infrastructure bill addresses things like the Claiborne Overpass and a means to redress the destruction of the Treme
we're going to have to address some difficult questions in the next few years - and the longer we put it off the more difficult they become

I just re-read this entire thread. Whew!

I really do hope the Bruce family gets the property and eventually able to reap the benefits from it. Shameful that it was taken from them in the first place for a pittance.

After the murder of George Floyd ignited nationwide protests, corporate America acknowledged it could no longer stay silent and promised to take an active role in confronting systemic racism.

From Silicon Valley to Wall Street, companies proclaimed “Black lives matter.” JPMorgan Chase CEO Jamie Dimon adopted the posture of former NFL quarterback Colin Kaepernick’s protests against police brutality and took a knee with bank employees. McDonald’s declared Floyd and other slain Black Americans “one of us.”

Now, more than a year after America’s leading businesses assured employees and consumers they would rise to the moment, a Washington Post analysis of unprecedented corporate commitments toward racial justice causes reveals the limits of their power to remedy structural problems.

Apple and AbbVie, Facebook and Pfizer, Johnson & Johnson and Procter & Gamble, and other top corporations made broad claims about what they would do, pledging to be a force for societal change and to fight racism and injustice, including violence against Black Americans.

Where and how they dedicated their money became the most visible signs of their priorities.

To date, America’s 50 biggest public companies and their foundations collectively committed at least $49.5 billion since Floyd’s murder last May to addressing racial inequality — an amount that appears unequaled in sheer scale.

Looking deeper, more than 90 percent of that amount — $45.2 billion — is allocated as loans or investments they could stand to profit from, more than half in the form of mortgages. Two banks — JPMorgan Chase and Bank of America — accounted for nearly all of those commitments.

Meanwhile, $4.2 billion of the total pledged is in the form of outright grants. Of that, companies reported just a tiny fraction — about $71 million — went to organizations focused specifically on criminal justice reform, the cause that sent millions into the streets protesting Floyd’s murder by a Minneapolis police officer.........

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom