Question about tanking games on purpose (1 Viewer)

Loose Cannon

Tangibles
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
There are four teams fighting for the last two playoff spots in my league.

Two teams have already clinched. The first place team wants to tank his game on purpose because he doesn't like the matchup he'd get with the fourth place team (the best team in the league).

The issue that's been raised is that by tanking the game, the first place team could very well cost one of the other four teams a playoff spot. It has direct implications.

This has no bearing on my team, but I am the commissioner. What are your thoughts on a commissioner's role in this? On one hand, tanking clearly goes against fair play and sportsmanship. On the other, it's his team, and he can do what he wants with it.

Thoughts?

I'd give him an ultimatum: set a competitive lineup or you'll set one for him. These are the kinds of things that make people get out of leagues and join others.

Too late for it now, but both the leagues that I run have a "Competition Clause." That clause stipulates that each team must play to win each week. Violations of the competition clause can be grounds for an owner to be voted out of the league.

More importantly, however, is that it sets the tone for the league. You have to set expectations.

In your league, I assume that there is no rule saying that each team must try to win each week. In this case, why shouldn't the owner act in his own best interests? If I'm an owner in a fantasy league, I'm going to try to use every rule, be it scoring or procedural, to give myself every advantage that I can. Given that you have no rule on the subject, I don't see how you can force him to play his best players.

that was stupid to even mentioning it....if he wanted to tank the game, he should have just adjusted his roster to lose but so that it would not be obvious...he could just say he was playing certain match ups...but if there is no rule against it, he should be allowed to lose if he wants

He should be able to tank the game if he wants to. Sometimes it is the smarter thing to do. If your in position to then you should be allowed to play your team as you see fit. There is nothing shady about it, if you wanna throw a game do so!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom