Question about the late hit on Evans... (1 Viewer)

Cincy Saint

The Original
VIP Subscribing Member
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I swear I heard a whistle simultaneous to Evans' hit. I played it back on the DVR and even my seven year old heard it to. If that's true, how can it be a penalty?

Comments?

Saint Droopy

Born/Raised in Hollygrove
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Whether the whistle blew or not... the guy was down, and there would have been nothing gained from making that "block". That play killed a promising drive.

ESmith08

Reaction score
I also thought it was like a half second after the whistle and a borderline no-call, and I was ****** to see a late flag come in, but after seeing the replay, there was no need for the Evans' hit and a player with his head in the game would't have even risked the drive-killing penalty. At least we can still pass-block with the best of em.

bacon111

Reaction score
from someone who played O_line ( in high school ) its all about keeping the ball carrier from harm... the whistle was late and the the hit was ok.....

IMHO

SaintsRays

More than 15K posts served!
Reaction score
The hit seemed to be before the whistle...

Pansyifying football is what the NFL is trying to do though...

Saint Droopy

Born/Raised in Hollygrove
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Pansyifying football is what the NFL is trying to do though...
You're right... although I was happy about the low hit call on Drew... that was a HORRIBLE call. They are getting a little too sensitive with thse QBs. The Dome Patrol would hae led the league in penalties if today's refs were calling those games.

FWtex

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
That flag will be thrown everytime! It was a stupid Turley kind of play and it cost the saints a FG and probably a TD. All because an OL wnated to take a cheap shot.

Three defenders were standing over the pile not making a play and Evans rolls one. STUPID!!!!!!!!!!

lsu31always

Reaction score
Too say it was a late hit would be an injustice to the word understatment

Last edited:

SaintsRays

More than 15K posts served!
Reaction score
You're right... although I was happy about the low hit call on Drew... that was a HORRIBLE call. They are getting a little too sensitive with thse QBs. The Dome Patrol would hae led the league in penalties if today's refs were calling those games.
Yeah I didn't like that penalty call, although it obviously was good for us. I just hate the precendent it sets... It technically was correct by the rules, but it's a garbage rule to begin with...

ThibodauxSaint

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
Yeah I didn't like that penalty call, although it obviously was good for us. I just hate the precendent it sets... It technically was correct by the rules, but it's a garbage rule to begin with...
I thought that was a bad call too, but that's the "Carson Palmer rule", anytime a defender goes close to the QB's leg they will throw the flag just about everytime.

Shawn

SR is my life!
Reaction score
I didn't care about the penalty.

I've been so sick and tired of seeing our linemen standing around the pile for the last 5 years, that it's refreshing to see Evans block to the whistle. He's been close to getting flagged about 25 times this season, and I'd say that on about 18 of those plays, it's resulted in an extra yard or two.

Evans has been hosing people all season long. I hope he keeps it up.

dav168

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
Rookie mistake. No big deal. Evens is still doing a good job!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
NewOrleansBoy Hardest Question? Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 67
Saints stayed late in Las Vegas as team held review of loss to Raiders Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Week 2 late games open thread Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Michael Thomas twists ankle late in win Saints RSS News Feeds 0
ndcc Saints Lattimore vs. Mike Evans mixing it up (highlights) ...grab your popcorn Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 7
DerrickB Mike Evans received his test results back Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 16
Saints vs. Bucs: Tampa's Mike Evans active, New Orleans' P.J. Williams inactive, see both lists of inactives Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Mike Evans active for Bucs Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Report: Mike Evans “likely” to play, may be on a pitch count Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Davenport, Ruiz ruled out while Evans listed as doubtful for Saints-Bucs opener Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Saints rule Marcus Davenport, Cesar Ruiz out for the opener; Bucs' Mike Evans doubtful Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Dan in Lafayette Final Saints-Buccaneers injury report: Mike Evans doubtful for Week 1 SR News Page Articles 0
Bucs tag Mike Evans as doubtful for Sunday Saints RSS News Feeds 0
jdpower13 Week 1 - Friday injury report - Ruiz/Davenport out, Mike Evans questionable Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 101
Bruce Arians: Mike Evans probably will be a game-time decision Saints RSS News Feeds 0