Question about the late hit on Evans... (1 Viewer)

Cincy Saint

VIP Subscribing Member
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I swear I heard a whistle simultaneous to Evans' hit. I played it back on the DVR and even my seven year old heard it to. If that's true, how can it be a penalty?

Comments?

Yeah it was close but Evans should have seen that the play was pretty much over whether he heard the whistle blow or not.

Whether the whistle blew or not... the guy was down, and there would have been nothing gained from making that "block". That play killed a promising drive.

I also thought it was like a half second after the whistle and a borderline no-call, and I was ****** to see a late flag come in, but after seeing the replay, there was no need for the Evans' hit and a player with his head in the game would't have even risked the drive-killing penalty. At least we can still pass-block with the best of em.

from someone who played O_line ( in high school ) its all about keeping the ball carrier from harm... the whistle was late and the the hit was ok.....

IMHO

The hit seemed to be before the whistle...

Pansyifying football is what the NFL is trying to do though...

Pansyifying football is what the NFL is trying to do though...

You're right... although I was happy about the low hit call on Drew... that was a HORRIBLE call. They are getting a little too sensitive with thse QBs. The Dome Patrol would hae led the league in penalties if today's refs were calling those games.

That flag will be thrown everytime! It was a stupid Turley kind of play and it cost the saints a FG and probably a TD. All because an OL wnated to take a cheap shot.

Three defenders were standing over the pile not making a play and Evans rolls one. STUPID!!!!!!!!!!

Too say it was a late hit would be an injustice to the word understatment

Last edited:
You're right... although I was happy about the low hit call on Drew... that was a HORRIBLE call. They are getting a little too sensitive with thse QBs. The Dome Patrol would hae led the league in penalties if today's refs were calling those games.

Yeah I didn't like that penalty call, although it obviously was good for us. I just hate the precendent it sets... It technically was correct by the rules, but it's a garbage rule to begin with...

Yeah I didn't like that penalty call, although it obviously was good for us. I just hate the precendent it sets... It technically was correct by the rules, but it's a garbage rule to begin with...

I thought that was a bad call too, but that's the "Carson Palmer rule", anytime a defender goes close to the QB's leg they will throw the flag just about everytime.

I didn't care about the penalty.

I've been so sick and tired of seeing our linemen standing around the pile for the last 5 years, that it's refreshing to see Evans block to the whistle. He's been close to getting flagged about 25 times this season, and I'd say that on about 18 of those plays, it's resulted in an extra yard or two.

Evans has been hosing people all season long. I hope he keeps it up.

I replayed it several times and the hit and whistle happened almost exactly the same time(hit came just before whistle). It may have been "cheap" but at least it was Joey Porter he hit, and the whistle hadn't blown so it really wasn't late...BS call.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom