Question about the Movie Joker... (1 Viewer)

Joe OKC

"Better Days"
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I have a question about the movie Joker...

Is it a stand alone film about a man that becomes a killer?

or is it tied into the Batman series about How one of the Batman Villains came about and it happens in Gotham city.. etc, etc?

Thanks in advance.

I’d say it’s really a stand-alone film. But it helps to know the Joker character from prior films. There is no mention of Batman or anyone else from that universe

Edit: Totally forgot about the Bruce Wayne/Alfred thing, not to mention his parents ...

I guess Phoenix was so overpowering, he made me forget about that part.

Last edited:
My perspective is that it is a movie about a mentally sick person who keeps spiraling downward, creating the lore of The Joker and Gotham.

I have a question about the movie Joker...

Is it a stand alone film about a man that becomes a killer?

or is it tied into the Batman series about How one of the Batman Villains came about and it happens in Gotham city.. etc, etc?

Thanks in advance.

You did it wrong. Its "Please and thank you!"

Man it was hard for me to watch. Took me about three tries. A great film but very very dark.
I can’t stand Batman movies, so if it were just part of that series I wouldn’t have even given it a shot.

And it’s both imo as well.

As others have said it's both.

You can watch it as a stand alone movie, without having any knowledge of Batman.

The Wayne family is in the film and helps establish a connection between the future villain and crime fighter.

I agree its both and there is also a very good chance that Phoenix's Joker is not "The Joker" that appears in upcoming Batman films.

Spoiler-ish stuff below

- Phoenix's character is an unreliable narrator - hard to tell if he is truly alive by the end of it or killed in the crash with the stolen ambulance with the rest being some version of his 'heaven'

- the age difference between Phoenix's Joker and Bruce Wayne suggests that there is another, younger Joker that will appear - I guess one of the mob inspired by Phoenix, maybe the actual killer of the Waynes

I agree its both and there is also a very good chance that Phoenix's Joker is not "The Joker" that appears in upcoming Batman films.

Spoiler-ish stuff below

- Phoenix's character is an unreliable narrator - hard to tell if he is truly alive by the end of it or killed in the crash with the stolen ambulance with the rest being some version of his 'heaven'

- the age difference between Phoenix's Joker and Bruce Wayne suggests that there is another, younger Joker that will appear - I guess one of the mob inspired by Phoenix, maybe the actual killer of the Waynes

Or, the Joker as an unreliable narrator, has his facts all wrong and the events surrounding the Waynes and Bruce didn't happen the way they are pictured in the movie (if they happened at all).

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom