Question about the Playbook (1 Viewer)

chad_moore

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
I tried looking it up on the Internet first, but didn't have any luck. My question is: Do the players get a playbook at this point in the season?

I know that RR's defense isn't the easiest to pick up and was curious if the players already have a copy to start getting prepared. I would think that the players under contract "might" have a copy. However, I was curious about the players that were drafted, UDFA, and those who haven't signed a tender offer yet. I know that when a player is cut their playbook is one of the many items collected. I'm sure they run through alignments and so forth in OTA's and the rookie camp, but with so much to learn (and I do realize that being on the field and practicing is where it really counts) that they would be hitting the books now. Is it that possible? Is it legal? Does a team issue a playbook to someone they have allocated to the team, but hasn't signed a contract yet?

Hey...it's slow right now, so I thought I would pose it to the SR family and see if anyone knew the facts. :)

Attachments

• juniorplaybook.jpg
    juniorplaybook.jpg
    296.7 KB · Views: 63
Junior posted a picture of it about a week ago. I'll try to pull up his tweet and post it here in a minute

I understand that the players under contract would have a copy. My question wasmore about if those that haven't signed their contracts yet (draft rookies, UDFA, those who haven't signed their tender offer), would have a copy also.

I don't see why they wouldn't have a copy yet.

Teams are protective of their playbooks for good reason. If a player without a contract has a playbook, I suspect there is a separate agreement signed pertaining to the playbook (no copies, no distribution, return immediately upon demand, etc.).

But with an agreement like that in place, I don't see why they couldn't provide it. It probably varies by situation (and player).

Geno Smith was interviewed a few days after the draft and he said he already reviewed the playbook. So I would imagine they give it to them when they first visit the facility.

Rich Gannon on Sirius just now alluded to the fact that most teams won't even allow the playbook to leave the training site. This would kinda fit in to what Geno was saying. That would tell me that the rookies will only have seen the playbook on their one allotted visit to the team shortly after the draft. The next time they will see it is May 10th for the rookie camp.

Geno Smith was interviewed a few days after the draft and he said he already reviewed the playbook. So I would imagine they give it to them when they first visit the facility.

I saw somewhere that they gave it to him the same day he was drafted.

Now I don't feel so bad for asking this question. Everywhere I looked online, I got every possible answer you could imagine. I mean it is considered Intellectual Property, so I would assume that some sort of agreement would have to be in place prior to it being issued. However, from a legal perspective you can't "make" someone forget what they've learned. It's a double edged sword, so I thought I would pose it to the forum. I see both sides, but with all the help we need on defense, switching schemes, a new coach, and so many fresk faces on defense alone...I can't help but think they would do whatever is necessary to get as much of a jump as possible.

Is it maybe the reason why it takes until week 4-6 of the regular season for teams to "gel?" Because they aren't getting the playbook until they are under contract? Sorry...just found it interesting and now I see that their may not be a "true" answer out there that we know.

Well since rookies cannot play for any other team even if they do not have a contract they would get them a copy as soon as possible. Undrafted free agents sign a contract when they agree what team they will try out for and can be given one then.
But what good will it do them if they do not know how to read it! I think our offensive play book is so big it takes our new receivers over a year to learn it.

Teams are protective of their playbooks for good reason. If a player without a contract has a playbook, I suspect there is a separate agreement signed pertaining to the playbook (no copies, no distribution, return immediately upon demand, etc.).

But with an agreement like that in place, I don't see why they couldn't provide it. It probably varies by situation (and player).

Superchuck=awesome!!!

Mike Leach never really had a physical copy of his playbook, he said the game film, that was the playbook. I know the NFL is more complicated but still interesting. Nice to see an ipad app, but wouldn't it be more likely to be copied that way?

Mike Leach never really had a physical copy of his playbook, he said the game film, that was the playbook. I know the NFL is more complicated but still interesting. Nice to see an ipad app, but wouldn't it be more likely to be copied that way?

How would it be easier to copy it? iPad media can be copy protected - and a paper playbook could be simply tossed on the copy machine.

If the player is contractually obligated to protect it from copying, it isn't likely that he's going to be the one to copy it - then the question becomes whether someone else would copy it and it's still on the player to protect the ipad just as he would protect the paper playbook.

Teams don't fear other teams having copies of their plays. there are so many plays and most teams have similar plays as other teams. so the actual plays in the playbook are no big secret.

Besides all you have to do is look at game film to see what plays have been run already.

The key is that during a game, you don't want the other team to know which particular play you're running at a given time.

It has to do more with formations and cadences, down and distance tendencies, that might tip a team off to what play you're running.

The Saints Offence for example runs the same plays multiple times during a game, but from different formations to confuse the defense.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom