Question about the Unger retirement (1 Viewer)

MV2

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
So I know it will provide salary cap relief now. My question is, if he decided to come back is he under a new contract or does his old contract pick up where it left off? Not sure how that works with retired players.

If he did saints would have his rights.

It does not get rid of the teams rights to the player.

What you described would be a cap violation. If it was not then it would have been tried before.

• 1Like
Reactions: MV2
So I know it will provide salary cap relief now. My question is, if he decided to come back is he under a new contract or does his old contract pick up where it left off? Not sure how that works with retired players.

He would come back under the old contract Unless he in the Saints negotiating a new contract. But he just can’t come back and say I am back the Saints have to take him back as well. So if the Saints say no we don’t want you back he becomes a free agent

I was just thinking about if he had a change of heart what we could do. Odds are we will make some signings and not have the cap to carry his current contract.

Unger retired because Ingram was not brought back. That was his best friend in the locker room.

JK

Since word was his hip injury was expecting him to miss a portion of this year and maybe the whole year anyway, I would not worry about seeing him this year.
I don’t think he lost the desire to play but rather he is looking at injuries that could possibly give him lifetime issues if not dealt with properly!

Will we miss him? Absolutely! But we were constantly seeing inside pressure most likely due from his hip injury! Pretty much this whole line was beat up really bad this last season and still performed great. But the middle of our line was lacking seriously and if he was not going to be 100% we are better off without him. He knows that! He has way too much respect for Drew to try to play another season injured.

As for calling all the blocking assignments! That’s just not true with our offense. Anyone who has been paying attention over the years knows that Drew calls these out. It’s part of the reason he has the longest plays called in the huddle. He then gets to the line and points out the linebackers. Yes we have a complex offense but it’s not unlearnable from a lineman’s point with Drew back there.

I’m not sure about bringing in a rookie though. I think our center needs to be a very strong guy that will be able to handle the best defense tackles in the league. One who cannot get bull rushed to the Quarterback!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom