Question about Vitt and our impending 3-4 defense (1 Viewer)

Hotdog_Skin

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
So I am on quite the learning curve right now in terms of understanding fundamentals of defenses, and our switch to the 3-4 defense.

From what I understand, in a 4-3, the pressure comes from the linemen, but in a 3-4, the pressure comes from the linebackers. So if that's the case, it seems like in a 3-4, the linebackers have the most important jobs. Sure, that's kinda the case in any defense I guess, but more so in the 3-4. So if that is true, and Joe Vitt is our linebacker coach, this defensive switch has a lot to do with him teaching our LB's to be on point and kick ***. My question is mostly about whether or not he is the best man for this transition then. Since the LB not only needs to plug gaps for the run, but also throw down the blitz, and contain the ever growing option-quarterbacks, should we maybe consider bringing in a different proven/tested or new/innovative LB coach?

I'm not even necessarily saying Vitt isn't a good LB coach(I don't even know how to form an opinion on it lol), but I just find myself overlooking the fact that Joe is not just our assistant coach, but also our linebacker coach, so I'm wondering if maybe we need a dedicated LB coach simply because LB's are so much more important in the 3-4 formation.

Like I said, I am learning a whole lot very quickly about defenses in general, and the 3-4 specifically, so I can't tell if I'm way off in worrying about Vitt's ability to sculpt these LB's that fill the most crucial roll in the new defense. So to those that know more about defenses, or just more about Vitt in general, what are your thoughts?

I'm not even sure if Vitt has ever coached linebackers in a 3-4 style defense outside of GW's multiple

I'm not even sure if Vitt has ever coached linebackers in a 3-4 style defense outside of GW's multiple

Interesting. This only adds to my curiosity about him being the right candidate..

Interesting. This only adds to my curiosity about him being the right candidate..

It's really not that difficult a switch...especially if we get the right DC

Vitt has been around the game long enough to know the differences.

Vitt will remain assistant HC but will more than likely step aside from the linebackers and get involved elsewhere.

vitt should be asst head coach and help our new dc with game plans occasionally work with lbs. big difference in schemes between the 2 defenses

This was part of Vitt's testimony to Tagliabue:

I've done my time, Commissioner, and I'm - I could've retired last August. I'll make a decision after the season what I'm going to do with my career.

I could see him stepping aside from coaching and taking on a special adviser role, or something like that.

I really hope he's around for the remainder of the Payton Era, regardless.

vitt will teach the scheme the new DC brings in, along with all the other coaches under the DC

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom