Question for all the cap guys or gals regarding free agents (1 Viewer)

Players would never (ever) accept it.

The only fix I would like to see to fix free agency is to stop giving (mystery) draft picks to whoever loses a free agent, via some hidden non-transparent formula (that often seems to favor the Patriots).

Players would never (ever) accept it.

The only fix I would like to see to fix free agency is to stop giving (mystery) draft picks to whoever loses a free agent, via some hidden non-transparent formula (that often seems to favor the Patriots).

It's really not that secret of a formula, it's just some teams choose not to partake in that game within the game.

Teams like New Engalnd and Baltimore religiously only acquire players via trade or released guys while routinely letting guys walk. It's smart and allows you to accumulate mid to late round picks that over time add up to more cheap labor on the roster.

It's genius roster managemnt.

Genius roster managment - yea. Agree. I won't argue that.

But how can the NFL keep a straight face while it preaches parity on the one hand, while compensating teams whenever parity steps in, because a team was outbid on the free market.

Defeats the purpose.

You CAN regulate free agency. The NBA does it; it's called Max Contracts. And honestly the NFL needs to look into this to help stop the damage these QB contracts are doing to teams. Just look at the Ravens. They have good (not great) QB that is amking insane money, which really hurts the teams ability to build a solid foundation. And if you over pay for a bust QB (Brock Osweiler) you're in the tank for a few more years because of huge salary cap hits

You CAN regulate free agency. The NBA does it; it's called Max Contracts. And honestly the NFL needs to look into this to help stop the damage these QB contracts are doing to teams. Just look at the Ravens. They have good (not great) QB that is amking insane money, which really hurts the teams ability to build a solid foundation. And if you over pay for a bust QB (Brock Osweiler) you're in the tank for a few more years because of huge salary cap hits

Please don't. Max contracts are the worst thing going in the NBA right now.

Imagine how much better NBA parity would be if the stars actually got paid their true market value. As it stands right now, LeBron James is the most underpaid player in sports.

I'd rather see teams truly have to bid on their greats.

Please don't. Max contracts are the worst thing going in the NBA right now.

Imagine how much better NBA parity would be if the stars actually got paid their true market value. As it stands right now, LeBron James is the most underpaid player in sports.

I'd rather see teams truly have to bid on their greats.

It's not about single players getting paid.

It's not about single players getting paid.

All it would do is create a situation where virtually any decent/slightly good free agent will get a max contract while everyone else gets paid veteran minimal.

It is pretty much the ultimate exercise of "idea that sounds good but has unintended consequences."

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom