Question for Catholics (Catholic Church Crisis) (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
Sticky Post
I have a question for Catholics. When an Archbishop says he is burning an altar does he really burn the altar or is it just replacing the altar with a new one? What if the altar is made of stone? Going to be pretty hard to burn? Guess where I’m getting at is the altar really burned or is it like some sort of exorcism the archbishop does to cleanse the altar? Does the Church really have backup altars? Someone educate me.

Reaction score
I been to Brant Pitre in person on multiple occasions. I've also purchased semesters of his lectures from when he was teaching at Notre Dame Seminary. Very thorough, will give you all the different arguments of modern scholarship, how they developed throughout time, outline evidence for/against each theory, ect. You can probably buy them from his website, or his buddy Michael's website at Catholic Productions. Michael has been tied to Brant's hip for quite some time and records all of Brant's lectures, both those given in public and those when teaching.
I've taken more than a few of his classes at NDS on my way to my Masters. I'm quite familiar with Catholic Productions, too.

St. PJ

Super Forum Fanatic
Reaction score
I've taken more than a few of his classes at NDS on my way to my Masters. I'm quite familiar with Catholic Productions, too.
I'm a junkie for both. Love Brant's humor. Michael will work with you on price. I always buy the hard copies though, because if you buy digital, whatever you download them onto is the only device you will have them on. I get the cd's (for example), rip them, then put them on my phone, on sim card in my Jeep, on usb drive on something else, ect.

You know exactly what I'm talking about to when I talk about Brant - if you've taken some of his courses (hand outs are awesome), I don't have to explain anything, you've got a major leg up on most everybody else.

Reaction score
I'm a junkie for both. Love Brant's humor. Michael will work with you on price. I always buy the hard copies though, because if you buy digital, whatever you download them onto is the only device you will have them on. I get the cd's (for example), rip them, then put them on my phone, on sim card in my Jeep, on usb drive on something else, ect.

You know exactly what I'm talking about to when I talk about Brant - if you've taken some of his courses (hand outs are awesome), I don't have to explain anything, you've got a major leg up on most everybody else.
He definitely has a niche. Really good guy, Brant.

St. PJ

Super Forum Fanatic
Reaction score
Did you write the Bible? I mean these are good explanations.
I've studied theology off and on for about 18 years. Some of it easy enough for anyone to read (I call that dessert), some of it in the language of scholars, academics, and lawyers -- with that type you can't simply blow through cover to cover, you need solitude to process and translate and follow what is being argued or said (I call that vegetables) -- at any one time I have about 6 or 10 books in some state of progress; I try to have a well balanced diet, or else I'd read nothing but dessert and go into spells where I don't read anything because all that's left is vegetable or unappetizing side dish. I try to read a chapter of everything before I get to the book I've been wanting to read (dessert). Kind of a carrot/stick approach. I also have 500 GB worth of lectures and courses on audio that I'll listen to from time to time.

There is so much out there - the Church has literally 2,000 years of history - you'll never scratch the surface. That said, I've had some great mentors and teachers, and the first who turned me on to theology really taught me that a person can only read so many books in a lifetime, and being that there are so much, only chose the best, and start with the best of the best. So anything with the impramatur and nihil obstat is a starting point - these are vetted and approved and won't lead astray from what the Church has taught since apostolic times. Best of best would be doctors of the church. Thankfully, when I started, I had a job where i had solitude on my off time for 12 hours a day with no tv or internet - very little options for entertainment other than reading while working a hitch, so it was a great environment to take in Aquinas and Augustine and other giants. I hit the jackpot when my buddy introduced me to Scott Hahn, and from Hahn I was led to John Bergsma, Michael Barber, Brant Pitre, Tim Staples, Curtis Martin, Edward Sri, Tim Gray, and other contemporary scholars who hold a hard rule that if you can't find it in the Fathers, it isn't legit. The great thing about these guys is they've devoured the Fathers and Doctors and have done the translating for you - most of what they write is in layman's terms and reads like dessert. Though they do have scholarly work if you have a taste for that. Pitre's thesis is a little pricey, but worth the read. Hahn's opus die is the same, but a little harder to find.

Long story short, I was given a very good foundation and was blessed to start in the right place.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)