Question for Catholics (Catholic Church Crisis) (3 Viewers)

1. In 2020 A.D., the year in which we all live, violent religiously motivated atrocities are almost exclusively commited by muslims. Sorry.
depends on how (and why) you're framing "atrocious"
what Israel is doing to Palestine (religion masquerading as politics masquerading as religion) is hella atrocious
a govt that was put in place by a minority of single-issue religious voters that perpetuates cycles of poverty, denies healthcare, applies legislative control over a gender, pushed imperial intercession that perpetuates cycles of violence across the globe (including muslim regions), etc etc - that's all fairly atrocious - and probably has a 10 fold larger body could that muslim extremism

2. A catholic priest is drastically more likely to be a child rapist than someone who isn’t a catholic priest. Sorry.
yes a catholic priest is 100% more likely to be a catholic priest than someone who is not a catholic priest (or am i mis-reading your argument?)

But is it the way priests are taught that is making them behave like this? For instance the priest can not get married and have a family. You don’t find that troublesome? So the priest takes it out in a very sick way hoping not to get caught.
during the clinton years when gays in the military was the hot button topic, i was reading a study indicating that there is a higher % of homosexuals in the military than not
speculation was that some/many/most gays were going into the military to 'fix' their 'problem' (seemingly irony is lost on closeted but butch dudes)

the tag of the article speculated that something similar happens in the church/priesthood - the run to the church to help them with their sinful ways only to realize too late that the particular environment is the worst place for them

during the clinton years when gays in the military was the hot button topic, i was reading a study indicating that there is a higher % of homosexuals in the military than not
speculation was that some/many/most gays were going into the military to 'fix' their 'problem' (seemingly irony is lost on closeted but butch dudes)

the tag of the article speculated that something similar happens in the church/priesthood - the run to the church to help them with their sinful ways only to realize too late that the particular environment is the worst place for them

Homosexuality does not equate to pedophilia.

Homosexuality does not equate to pedophilia.
i know that, it's why i said "sinful" - and i am not saying what the sins are just that the people who feel sinful about whatever (pedophilia, homosexuality, alchoholism, et al) go to the priesthood for protection from these feelings and find that the institution exasperates them
it was a parallel speculation in the article

Do altars get burned after a bad priest does something really bad ? Is just this situation? Or is it like a blessing with that stuff you get at Hot Topic. Incense

im looking for a YouTube video of this ceremony

i know that, it's why i said "sinful" - and i am not saying what the sins are just that the people who feel sinful about whatever (pedophilia, homosexuality, alchoholism, et al) go to the priesthood for protection from these feelings and find that the institution exasperates them
it was a parallel speculation in the article

Exasperates them? Are you sure that's what you meant? The data offered does not show that priests are pedophiles at a significantly higher rate than the rest of the population. If the theory you posit was true, I would think the numbers would bear that out.

Exasperates them? Are you sure that's what you meant? The data offered does not show that priests are pedophiles at a significantly higher rate than the rest of the population. If the theory you posit was true, I would think the numbers would bear that out.

I think it's an expectation thing. Priests should be held to a higher standard than the rest of the population. There are Biblical references to this and when the statistics don't show an appreciable difference in the statistics, one has to wonder why that is.

That said, it's a complex subject and I think it's more of a human nature thing than anything else. It's incredibly damaging to the victims and their families as well as the church. I think the church has to do more, but changing the culture of such a large and global institution is like trying to steer the USS Roosevelt with a paddle. I do think the Pope is trying to lead on this in good faith, but easier said than done.

Last edited:
I think it's an expectation thing. Priests should be held to a higher standard than the rest of the population. There are Biblical references to this and when the statistics don't show an appreciable difference in the statistics, one has to wonder why that is.

Because predators go where prey is. But I agree with you, it's devastating on multiple levels when a man of God hurts a child. It's what makes the Church's handling of these events so repulsive.

Do altars get burned after a bad priest does something really bad ? Is just this situation? Or is it like a blessing with that stuff you get at Hot Topic. Incense

im looking for a YouTube video of this ceremony

Since you're interested:

I find these centuries old sex hang ups silly and amusing at the same time. Rites of purification, those I find sad and hilarious.

Because predators go where prey is. But I agree with you, it's devastating on multiple levels when a man of God hurts a child. It's what makes the Church's handling of these events so repulsive.

Yeah, Pedophiles are hard to spot before they act and get caught. It happens in all organizations where adult men are around children. For example schools, Boy Scouts, playground sports, etc. And, certainly, the Catholic Church would seem like a good place to be for pedophiles. So, I don't really blame the Church for having pedophiles in their ranks.

What I do blame them for is covering it up and moving pedophiles around to avoid bad press and lawsuits. Just no excuse for betraying the children and parents of the Church like that.

Edit: But I would be interested in knowing if the Catholic Priesthood has a higher percentage of pedophiles per capita that the general population or other organizations. I don't know the answer and I'm not sure how you could do a valid and accurate study but anecdotally, it seems to me that pdeophiles would have seen the Church as a safe haven since for years there were no reports of abuses because of cover ups.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom