Question for Catholics (Catholic Church Crisis) (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
Sticky Post
I have a question for Catholics. When an Archbishop says he is burning an altar does he really burn the altar or is it just replacing the altar with a new one? What if the altar is made of stone? Going to be pretty hard to burn? Guess where I’m getting at is the altar really burned or is it like some sort of exorcism the archbishop does to cleanse the altar? Does the Church really have backup altars? Someone educate me.

DaveXA

I love the Lord!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The very famous John 3:16:
"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. "

I think it is very clear what happens if you don't believe in him.

By grace through faith. No faith, no ticket.
True, but recall "faith without works is dead." It's an interesting paradox that seems to show that our faith becomes devoid of meaning if we do nothing as a result.

And of course, the question does remain, what actually happens to those who perish? The Bible doesn't say specifically what happens to atheists or others who are not Christian.

DaveXA

I love the Lord!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I've always wondered why someone that doesn't know about Jesus would be damned. what about people who live in places like the Amazon Rain Forest who have never seen civilization and do not know religion is?
It's a good question. I wonder the same thing as well. I know some might think it too simple minded, but I've just come to the conclusion that God is smart enough and loving enough to figure all that out. That's just me though.

SystemShock

uh yu ka t'ann
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
True, but recall "faith without works is dead." It's an interesting paradox that seems to show that our faith becomes devoid of meaning if we do nothing as a result.
Correct, however, while faith alone is not enough, faith seems to be a requirement.

John 3:18
Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe is condemned already, because he has not believed in the name of the only Son of God.

John 3:36
Whoever believes in the Son has eternal life; whoever does not obey the Son shall not see life, but the wrath of God remains on him.

Ephesians 2:8-10
For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast.

Hebrews 11:16
And without faith it is impossible to please him.

Mark 16:16
Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved, but whoever does not believe will be condemned.

Last edited:

DaveXA

I love the Lord!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Correct, however, faith alone is not enough, but faith seems to be a requirement.

John 3:18
Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe is condemned already, because he has not believed in the name of the only Son of God.

John 3:36
Whoever believes in the Son has eternal life; whoever does not obey the Son shall not see life, but the wrath of God remains on him.

Ephesians 2:8-10
For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast.

Hebrews 11:16
And without faith it is impossible to please him.

Mark 16:16
Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved, but whoever does not believe will be condemned.
Indeed, of course it's a starting point, but it's also the cornerstone from which everything else flows. But, it's also something that doesn't go away and I would even say is an ongoing process. At least, that's been my experience.

Others might feel differently, which is understandable.

SystemShock

uh yu ka t'ann
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I've always wondered why someone that doesn't know about Jesus would be damned. what about people who live in places like the Amazon Rain Forest who have never seen civilization and do not know religion is?
You have to consider when, where, and to whom the books/letters that make the Bible were written. I am not going to go into the why :hihi:

DaveXA

I love the Lord!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I’m curious how much money a priest gets for retirement. Sounds like they live pretty well .
I don't know tbh. But, from personal experience being a minister, many, many ministers retire and die poor. Most are never able to save very much, have no retirement other than SS, and many don't ever retire.

I was a minister for many years. Many church pastors aren't able to build up a nest egg because the parsonage they live in isn't theirs. They end up not being able to build equity in a home and most don't save nearly enough. There are no doubt some wealthy ministers out there, but they are extremely few and far between.

I'm not as familiar with retirements for Catholic priests though. More than a few do take vows of poverty, so ultimately more than a few are not well off.

saintmdterps

If we give ya the boogie, can ya handle it?
VIP Subscribing Member
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
The very famous John 3:16:
"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. "

I think it is very clear what happens if you don't believe in him.

By grace through faith. No faith, no ticket.
"All created things must decay. Work out your own salvation with diligence"
--The Buddha

Buddhsim teaches dependent origination where all things are interconnected, and the notion of an individual self is considered false and delusional. Indeed, the notion that my actions are mine alone and do not affect others is the most self- and world-destructive notion to which humans in general and Americans in particular cling

saintmdterps

If we give ya the boogie, can ya handle it?
VIP Subscribing Member
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I don't know tbh. But, from personal experience being a minister, many, many ministers retire and die poor. Most are never able to save very much, have no retirement other than SS, and many don't ever retire.

I was a minister for many years. Many church pastors aren't able to build up a nest egg because the parsonage they live in isn't theirs. They end up not being able to build equity in a home and most don't save nearly enough. There are no doubt some wealthy ministers out there, but they are extremely few and far between.

I'm not as familiar with retirements for Catholic priests though. More than a few do take vows of poverty, so ultimately more than a few are not well off.
Well, if you would just practice prosperity theology as espoused by the likes of Joel Osteen you wouldn't be poor. Joel would pray for you, he just wouldn't actually DO anything for you :hihi:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)