Question for Catholics (Catholic Church Crisis) (1 Viewer)

Damn, that's just disturbing on so many levels. :covri:
It would be even more disturbing if Rummel High School knew about allegations and ignored them. At least they finally removed the pictures of him and Travis off the Alumni site.

Exactly, and even if this were true (which I suspect it is not) wouldn’t most sane, reasonable Catholic folks be horrified that this were the case? I mean, aren’t priests supposed to be held to a higher standard than normal folk (sarcasm)? Ridiculous....

Christianity happens to be the ONLY religion to prophecy the life and death of their God more than a thousand years before it occurred; and as the centuries mover closer to year 0, those prophecies become more and more exact, so that 490 years prior, the exact year of His birth is prophesied.
I was surprised to find that I enjoyed much of what you wrote on these topics.

Do you have a citation for the preceding quote? I would like to read further on this topic.

I was surprised to find that I enjoyed much of what you wrote on these topics.

Do you have a citation for the preceding quote? I would like to read further on this topic.
I will get back to you later on the exact versus, as I'm at work now, but I can tell you where you'll find them. In Daniel chapter 2, King Nebuchadnezzar had a twisted dream that disturbed him so much he called his entire cabinet to him and said (paraphrasing) "I want you to tell me what my dream was and what it meant, and if you don't, I'll kill you and your families, you have 24 hours". They were like "dude, that's not how this works, you tell us the dream, we interpret". He stood firm. Then one of the court remembered Daniel was Holy and in their jail. Daniel agreed but said such a thing can only be revealed by God. God revealed it, and Daniel the next day told the King what his dream was and interpreted it for him, reiterating that such knowledge can only come from God. In the dream was a statue made of 4 different types of metals. Each section of body/metal represented a different dynasty/kingdom - Gold head was Babylonian King Nebuchadnezzar, then came Medo Persian, then Greek, then Roman. During time of Roman, a human hand but from heaven would throw a small stone at the feet, topple the statue, which would smash into thousands of pieces and blow away like chafe in the wind, and that small stone would become a gigantic mountain representing the Kingdom of God that the "Son of Man" would rule for eternity with an iron rod.

Then in Daniel Chapter 7, Daniel has a dream. His dream means the same thing, but is represented by 4 different beasts that describe the kingdoms. The Medo Persians, for example, are represented by a lopsided bear, because it was a very lopsided dynasty between the Medos and Persians. The Greek dynasty was represented by a cheetah with a bunch of wings, signifying how fast Alexander the Great would conquer the known world. Daniel sees the Messiah, whom he calls the "Son of Man" ascending to heaven taking his seat at the right hand of God to rule for all eternity. Somehow, the promised messiah was to be both human and divine.

Then in Daniel Chapter 9, Gabriel appears to tell Daniel to basically let him know their time of exile and hope for messiah would last what is called "70 weeks of years" - exactly 490 years. Now, 488+ years later, Gabriel appears to Zechariah to announce John the Baptist. Exactly 490 days after that, Christ is Born (the annunciation is when Elizabeth was 6 months pregnant - 180 days, plus 9 months for Jesus 270 days = 490 days. Those 490 days brought the 488+ years from the time Gabriel told this to Daniel to exactly 490 years when Christ was born.

This explains why there were a very many false prophets and messiahs appearing during 1st century AD. Also explains why the Levites and Pharisees are asking John the Baptist questions like "Are you the Messiah, are you Elijah, are you 'THE Prophet' " (if you are confused as to why they ask each question, and why do they ask him if he is Elijah, then turn around and ask if he is "the prophet", each of these questions is asked due to prophecies they are referring to... "the prophet" is a prophet "like Moses" promised by Moses).

I have books and lectures that go into great detail breaking them down and give about 10x more than I can remember off the top of my head. Dr. Brant Pitre really taught me a lot on this; he is a biblical scholar specializing in ancient Judaism, so he looks at everything first through the eyes of what a 1st century Jew would have understood and heard. We miss sooo much more 2,000 years later in english.

If I write you a letter about your niece, I don't say Suzy Broussard, who is your niece and attends Newman HS, just made valedictorian of her class, after finishing first amongst her classmates, and quoted the star spangled banner in her speech. I simply say "Suzy made valedictorian and worked 'by the rocket's red glare' into her speech" because I assume you know all these things. Writers of the New Testament had an audience very familiar with Jewish culture, worship, and scriptures - they assume their audience knows some things so they don't go into great detail and say things like "are you 'THE Prophet'" because to someone living in that time and place, those words meant something very specific that everyone knew. The same with "Son of Man"

The other point about this is if I say "Suzy sang at halftime at the LSU game in Tiger Stadium; there were like a million people there, before she went on I told her to go break a leg, and after she finished, it started raining cats and dogs". Two thousand years later in a different language, those words taken quite literally won't convey what I was saying and what most every American understood. I did not mean there were exactly 1 million people in Tiger Stadium, I did not wish her harm, and cats and dogs did not fall from the sky. This is what is known as idioms. 1st century Jews had plenty of idioms as well.

Every other passage in the New Testament is quoting or referring to a prophecy or scripture in the Old Testament. Often, they might say one line of something to refer or give context to what their next point is, they way we might say something like "One Nation, Under God" to refer to the Pledge of Allegiance and use that idea as the context of a point we are about to make. We don't have to recite the whole thing, everyone knows what is being referred to. The takeaway is that unless we have a clear understanding how that 1st century Jew lived, worshipped, talked, and practiced their faith - what they were expecting, what they believed, what was the hot topics, the differing schools of thought, the culture - then we have virtually no accurate way of understanding what Jesus said, accomplished, fulfilled, and transformed. The New Testament will mean something contradictory like "Go break a leg", and we will be led wildly astray. It is necessary for us to have sufficient instruction from those like Dr. Pitre, John Bergsma, Scott Hahn, Michael Barber, ect who start at ground zero and work their way forward, who start with what it literally meant to the first audience before coming to the universal truth, using the historical meaning, along with Church teaching and tradition, as the framework for placing boundaries on interpretation.

I will get back to you later on the exact versus, as I'm at work now, but I can tell you where you'll find them. In Daniel chapter 2, King Nebuchadnezzar had a twisted dream that disturbed him so much he called his entire cabinet to him and said (paraphrasing) "I want you to tell me what my dream was and what it meant, and if you don't, I'll kill you and your families, you have 24 hours". They were like "dude, that's not how this works, you tell us the dream, we interpret". He stood firm. Then one of the court remembered Daniel was Holy and in their jail. Daniel agreed but said such a thing can only be revealed by God. God revealed it, and Daniel the next day told the King what his dream was and interpreted it for him, reiterating that such knowledge can only come from God. In the dream was a statue made of 4 different types of metals. Each section of body/metal represented a different dynasty/kingdom - Gold head was Babylonian King Nebuchadnezzar, then came Medo Persian, then Greek, then Roman. During time of Roman, a human hand but from heaven would throw a small stone at the feet, topple the statue, which would smash into thousands of pieces and blow away like chafe in the wind, and that small stone would become a gigantic mountain representing the Kingdom of God that the "Son of Man" would rule for eternity with an iron rod.

Then in Daniel Chapter 7, Daniel has a dream. His dream means the same thing, but is represented by 4 different beasts that describe the kingdoms. The Medo Persians, for example, are represented by a lopsided bear, because it was a very lopsided dynasty between the Medos and Persians. The Greek dynasty was represented by a cheetah with a bunch of wings, signifying how fast Alexander the Great would conquer the known world. Daniel sees the Messiah, whom he calls the "Son of Man" ascending to heaven taking his seat at the right hand of God to rule for all eternity. Somehow, the promised messiah was to be both human and divine.

Then in Daniel Chapter 9, Gabriel appears to tell Daniel to basically let him know their time of exile and hope for messiah would last what is called "70 weeks of years" - exactly 490 years. Now, 488+ years later, Gabriel appears to Zechariah to announce John the Baptist. Exactly 490 days after that, Christ is Born (the annunciation is when Elizabeth was 6 months pregnant - 180 days, plus 9 months for Jesus 270 days = 490 days. Those 490 days brought the 488+ years from the time Gabriel told this to Daniel to exactly 490 years when Christ was born.

This explains why there were a very many false prophets and messiahs appearing during 1st century AD. Also explains why the Levites and Pharisees are asking John the Baptist questions like "Are you the Messiah, are you Elijah, are you 'THE Prophet' " (if you are confused as to why they ask each question, and why do they ask him if he is Elijah, then turn around and ask if he is "the prophet", each of these questions is asked due to prophecies they are referring to... "the prophet" is a prophet "like Moses" promised by Moses).

I have books and lectures that go into great detail breaking them down and give about 10x more than I can remember off the top of my head. Dr. Brant Pitre really taught me a lot on this; he is a biblical scholar specializing in ancient Judaism, so he looks at everything first through the eyes of what a 1st century Jew would have understood and heard. We miss sooo much more 2,000 years later in english.

If I write you a letter about your niece, I don't say Suzy Broussard, who is your niece and attends Newman HS, just made valedictorian of her class, after finishing first amongst her classmates, and quoted the star spangled banner in her speech. I simply say "Suzy made valedictorian and worked 'by the rocket's red glare' into her speech" because I assume you know all these things. Writers of the New Testament had an audience very familiar with Jewish culture, worship, and scriptures - they assume their audience knows some things so they don't go into great detail and say things like "are you 'THE Prophet'" because to someone living in that time and place, those words meant something very specific that everyone knew. The same with "Son of Man"

The other point about this is if I say "Suzy sang at halftime at the LSU game in Tiger Stadium; there were like a million people there, before she went on I told her to go break a leg, and after she finished, it started raining cats and dogs". Two thousand years later in a different language, those words taken quite literally won't convey what I was saying and what most every American understood. I did not mean there were exactly 1 million people in Tiger Stadium, I did not wish her harm, and cats and dogs did not fall from the sky. This is what is known as idioms. 1st century Jews had plenty of idioms as well.

Every other passage in the New Testament is quoting or referring to a prophecy or scripture in the Old Testament. Often, they might say one line of something to refer or give context to what their next point is, they way we might say something like "One Nation, Under God" to refer to the Pledge of Allegiance and use that idea as the context of a point we are about to make. We don't have to recite the whole thing, everyone knows what is being referred to. The takeaway is that unless we have a clear understanding how that 1st century Jew lived, worshipped, talked, and practiced their faith - what they were expecting, what they believed, what was the hot topics, the differing schools of thought, the culture - then we have virtually no accurate way of understanding what Jesus said, accomplished, fulfilled, and transformed. The New Testament will mean something contradictory like "Go break a leg", and we will be led wildly astray. It is necessary for us to have sufficient instruction from those like Dr. Pitre, John Bergsma, Scott Hahn, Michael Barber, ect who start at ground zero and work their way forward, who start with what it literally meant to the first audience before coming to the universal truth, using the historical meaning, along with Church teaching and tradition, as the framework for placing boundaries on interpretation.

Did you write the Bible? I mean these are good explanations.

Brant Pitre in person or in his online stuff/books? Because you don't strike me as the post-graduate studies type.

Brant Pitre in person or in his online stuff/books? Because you don't strike me as the post-graduate studies type.
I been to Brant Pitre in person on multiple occasions. I've also purchased semesters of his lectures from when he was teaching at Notre Dame Seminary. Very thorough, will give you all the different arguments of modern scholarship, how they developed throughout time, outline evidence for/against each theory, ect. You can probably buy them from his website, or his buddy Michael's website at Catholic Productions. Michael has been tied to Brant's hip for quite some time and records all of Brant's lectures, both those given in public and those when teaching.20160420_172313.jpg20160420_172313.jpg20160716_153200.jpg

Last edited:
I been to Brant Pitre in person on multiple occasions. I've also purchased semesters of his lectures from when he was teaching at Notre Dame Seminary. Very thorough, will give you all the different arguments of modern scholarship, how they developed throughout time, outline evidence for/against each theory, ect. You can probably buy them from his website, or his buddy Michael's website at Catholic Productions. Michael has been tied to Brant's hip for quite some time and records all of Brant's lectures, both those given in public and those when teaching.

I've taken more than a few of his classes at NDS on my way to my Masters. I'm quite familiar with Catholic Productions, too.

I've taken more than a few of his classes at NDS on my way to my Masters. I'm quite familiar with Catholic Productions, too.
I'm a junkie for both. Love Brant's humor. Michael will work with you on price. I always buy the hard copies though, because if you buy digital, whatever you download them onto is the only device you will have them on. I get the cd's (for example), rip them, then put them on my phone, on sim card in my Jeep, on usb drive on something else, ect.

You know exactly what I'm talking about to when I talk about Brant - if you've taken some of his courses (hand outs are awesome), I don't have to explain anything, you've got a major leg up on most everybody else.

I'm a junkie for both. Love Brant's humor. Michael will work with you on price. I always buy the hard copies though, because if you buy digital, whatever you download them onto is the only device you will have them on. I get the cd's (for example), rip them, then put them on my phone, on sim card in my Jeep, on usb drive on something else, ect.

You know exactly what I'm talking about to when I talk about Brant - if you've taken some of his courses (hand outs are awesome), I don't have to explain anything, you've got a major leg up on most everybody else.

He definitely has a niche. Really good guy, Brant.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom