Question for HR peeps. (1 Viewer)

yotd576

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
In the section of an application where you are asked to disclose your race and sex, does it really not affect the hiring process? I know they can't say it does or they'll get sued. Why do they need the info for their "personal" records? They say that the information will remain confidential, but shouldn't all the info you give them be confidential? Normally, it's optional and sometimes I have an uneasy feeling answering because I do feel that it does come into factor and would like to just ignore answering it.

It is more of a federal thing. The government likes to know that information. Once hired even if you do not fill out the information someone from HR will fill it in anyway (if possible).

Would the following answers hurt your chances of being hired?

Race - Rally
Sex - Not very often

Just curious.

We are required by OFCCP and EEO rules to report applicant data - not just employee data.

If you don't fill it in, we are authorized to take a visual.

Whether it factors into hiring and continuing-employment practices, depends on the employer. It shouldn't happen, but if it NEVER happened, then EEOC would not issue hundreds of right-to-sue letters each year.

i got out of the EEO aspect of HR and into retirement plans. i will not work EEO or anything EEO-related again if i can possibly avoid it.

It usually means your employer is a party to at least one government contract.

That is great for plaintiff discrimination lawyers because you can usually access the information before you agree to sign on a case and get some idea if there is a pattern and practice of discrimination.
If the employer is not a party to a government contract then it raises some eyebrows as to why they would want this information on the application.

The OFCCP reporting is more or less limited to government contractors (btw, more employers than people think have government contracts amounting in $10,000 annually).

The vast majority of Title VII-subject private employers are required to file an EEO report on applicants. i don't know anyone who is crazy about this law, but there it is.

The SUPER-fun part is related to the 2007 changes which require employers to ask whether an applicant self-identifies as a "non-White Hispanic".

Or sticky situations in which someone is Greek, North African, or Middle Eastern, and doesn't realize EEO calls them "white".

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom